Used 1994 Dodge Dakota SLT Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Old reliable
By Dad

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a reliable truck, with no major problems. Never had any engine or transmission work. It is a good balance between a car and a full-sized truck, especially if you don't need to pull a large trailer.

Easy entry/exit, good size bed for hauling most everything.

None.

Extremely reliable!
By jrwahlst

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my '94 Dakota (w/3.9L V6) with 120,000 miles on it about 3 years ago, and have had absolutely no major problems. I'm now up to 155,000 miles and still going great! I've been very pleased with how reliable this vehicle has been. I'm in Minnesota and have had it parked outside in well below zero temps and it always starts right up. I'm no great car expert, but it's been really solid for me. The paint's been fine, too, unlike some reports I've heard.

best all around
By squierian

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a great truck. I've had it for almost for years, and the guy who had it before me babied it. I've had a little bit of trouble with the radiator, and have replaced at least one cv joint, but not too many more, and a wiper bushing. The air conditioner is excellent. I can push upwards of 320 miles to about 17 gallons, and have used this truck for work and play. The exterior is in agreable condtion, the only blemishes in the forms of dings and scratches. The headliner has been sagging, but I can live with that. I like it because it's in between the compact s-10's and the large f-150's.

I so abuse the cruise control! The cab is huge! I can get in there and move around a 4x12 guitar amp with ease. The bench seat is great.

I would say a slightly smaller engine... I mean, I can appreciate the power, but 3.9 liters is a bit excessive... maybe 3.2? Also, because ther is so much space in the engine compartment, it takes forever to get the heat going, but it works out well, 'cuz it doesn't overheat.

94 Dakota SLT V8
By BJCjr

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Vehicle has been extremely reliable since buying new. Chrysler repainted vehicle due to paint peeling after warranty expired, but had to work through dealer and regional rep to get it completed. Gas Gauge sending unit has been replaced 4 times, still doesn't work sometimes, A/C won't hold charge, Chrysler can't find problem. Radiator leaked less than 2 years after owning, finally replaced after 6 years.

Electric mirrors, powerful V8, comfortable ride, room for 6 adults (not on long trip), plenty of cargo space, has been very reliable vehicle.

Could improve on gas mileage, average summer mileage 18+, winter 12.

Work Truck
By SWC

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It really is a comfortable vehicle, rides well and mine has every option so it has neat toys. However the build quality is terrible (such as my headliner caving in, the paint falling off, the interior fading to 4 differant shades of grey plus my dashboard turning blue). It has been driven hard and it is almost 10 years old, so I do expect things to go wrong... it just seems to happen more often then it should. As for safety, it's built like a tank... I wouldn't even consider a 1997 or newer because they are like tinfoil with plastic bumpers. Overall, I will keep this truck until I can get a nice old Toyota Tundra Quad-Cab at a reasonable price...

Overhead Console & Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror.

Too many to list... But think of the Toyota Tundra...