1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Old reliable
By Dad on 09/08/09 19:33 PM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a reliable truck, with no major problems. Never had any engine or transmission work. It is a good balance between a car and a full-sized truck, especially if you don't need to pull a large trailer.

Extremely reliable!
By jrwahlst on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my '94 Dakota (w/3.9L V6) with 120,000 miles on it about 3 years ago, and have had absolutely no major problems. I'm now up to 155,000 miles and still going great! I've been very pleased with how reliable this vehicle has been. I'm in Minnesota and have had it parked outside in well below zero temps and it always starts right up. I'm no great car expert, but it's been really solid for me. The paint's been fine, too, unlike some reports I've heard.

best all around
By squierian on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a great truck. I've had it for almost for years, and the guy who had it before me babied it. I've had a little bit of trouble with the radiator, and have replaced at least one cv joint, but not too many more, and a wiper bushing. The air conditioner is excellent. I can push upwards of 320 miles to about 17 gallons, and have used this truck for work and play. The exterior is in agreable condtion, the only blemishes in the forms of dings and scratches. The headliner has been sagging, but I can live with that. I like it because it's in between the compact s-10's and the large f-150's.

94 Dakota SLT V8
By BJCjr on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Vehicle has been extremely reliable since buying new. Chrysler repainted vehicle due to paint peeling after warranty expired, but had to work through dealer and regional rep to get it completed. Gas Gauge sending unit has been replaced 4 times, still doesn't work sometimes, A/C won't hold charge, Chrysler can't find problem. Radiator leaked less than 2 years after owning, finally replaced after 6 years.

Work Truck
By SWC on 12/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It really is a comfortable vehicle, rides well and mine has every option so it has neat toys. However the build quality is terrible (such as my headliner caving in, the paint falling off, the interior fading to 4 differant shades of grey plus my dashboard turning blue). It has been driven hard and it is almost 10 years old, so I do expect things to go wrong... it just seems to happen more often then it should. As for safety, it's built like a tank... I wouldn't even consider a 1997 or newer because they are like tinfoil with plastic bumpers. Overall, I will keep this truck until I can get a nice old Toyota Tundra Quad-Cab at a reasonable price...

BEST VEHICLE YET
By DAKOTA FOR SALE on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

USE THE TRUCK FOR FIELD SERVICE. BEEN UP AND DOWN EASTERN COAST. TOTAL OF 210,000 MILES AND COUNTING. PERFORM REGULAR MAINTINENCE RELIGIOUSY. NEVER LEFT ME STRANDED BY THE ROADSIDE. HAVE THE MAGNUM 3.9L V6. MOTOR KEEPS ON TRUCKING!!

Nine years with Dodge Dakota SLT Ext. Ca
By Frank Klee on 10/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Nine years ago, I bought a new 1994 Dakota SLT Extended Cab with the 3.9L V6 engine, auto transmission, power windows locks and mirrors. The truck has never failed me during cold winters (Chicago)and scorching summers---except once when I let the battery run out. No major problems ever, just minor irritants: radio ground wire disconnected, transmission sometimes starts only in neutral, and the gas gauge sensor quit after 7 years. I recommend the Dakota highly.

Better than I expected
By voyageur_mike on 10/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck gave us good service for a long time, with only a few glitches along the way. It gets 15+ mpg in metro area driving, closer to 20 on highway. The Dodge paint job was the shabbiest I've ever had on a vehicle, and began to chip off 2-3 years ago. And I had a plastic radiator split at under 50K miles on the vehicle. I liked owning it but wouldn't get another Dodge truck-- my sense is that it might be rolling the dice one time too many.

Great Truck!
By Karen Duggan on 09/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have owned this truck since I bought it new in 2/94. It originally cost around $15,000 and I have gotten so much value for that expense. Aside from replacing tires and the battery, this truck has been amazingly reliable. I have had NO major problems. I will continue to strongly endorse this truck and believe my recommendation has caused the purchase of at least 10 Dodge trucks among friends and family.