Used 1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Old but strong
By barobot

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

im 15 and this truck was my first car i bought it for 1500 on 11/12 with 156000 miles and counting. it has a pretty good sized rust hole in the passenger door and is kind of loud. the gas guage doesnt work and the paint is peeling on the roof but is no prob, this truck pulls like a fullsize truck and i average about 12 mpg in the city. it is faster than anything weve owned and is more roomy than our ranger or our old s10. i wouldnt get rid of it untill i die. if you are looking for a used truck for around 2500, this is what you should get! but dont get any of the second generation ones, there junk.

Favorite Features

very fast! goes 0-60 in 11 seconds! strong automatic transmission! pulls more than a f150!

Suggested Improvements

the mileage is lower than a full size truck. paint is peeling.

It will do what a truck should
By hud

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my Dakota off a lease in 1996 with 24k and still drive it everyday (14 years, 130k). It is now pretty old but overall has held up fairly well. Many problems with drivetrain seals leaking and the ball joints only lasted to 80k. The biggest problem has been the paint, it started falling off in 2004 and now one side of the box is missing most of it's paint. Also lost paint along the roof line. Turns out this was a defect from Dodge in the primer, but they would not warranty it. The poor paint will likely be the reason I sell it in the near future, it still has a lot of miles left, but it is no longer anything to look at. No MAJOR problems, besides paint in 14 yrs of ownership.

Favorite Features

Good power, nice soft ride (for a truck) thanks to the torsion front end. Tinted windows on the extended cab that open are nice, this is becoming less common on newer trucks. All the power accessories still work fine, except the A/C started leaking coolant in 2004. Never had any issues with the 4WD

Suggested Improvements

Dodge really screwed up with the paint on some of these trucks. The drivetrain seals have also been horrible for longevity. I've replaced axle seals at least 6 times and the transmission seal at least 4 times. Tranny is beginning to show it's age, but he motor is solid.

Old reliable
By Dad

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a reliable truck, with no major problems. Never had any engine or transmission work. It is a good balance between a car and a full-sized truck, especially if you don't need to pull a large trailer.

Favorite Features

Easy entry/exit, good size bed for hauling most everything.

Suggested Improvements

None.

a very good all around truck
By James Strange

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this car cheap and it's great. The interior design is good, with a large glovebox and wood panneling it's very large and comfortable. The infinity sound system is ambient with nice base for stock. The V8 is powerfull but a bit slow on the takeoff. It has a lot of pulling power for the size of the truck. The 4WD is great.It got me out of a ditch in two feet of snow.The extended cab is larger than one would expect.I've put 50,000 of it's 143,000 miles on it and I hav'nt had any engine or transmission problems with it yet.(just ware and tare stuff like hood latches and brake callipers.) One of the most comfortable and reliable cars I've ever owned for so low a price.

Favorite Features

Spacious, good looking interior with nice sound system to boot. 4WD and engine power is fantastic as well.

Suggested Improvements

The back drums are too small for the vehicle so you go through front brakes a little quickly. Gas can be a little expensive at 18 m/g highway.

Extremely reliable!
By jrwahlst

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my '94 Dakota (w/3.9L V6) with 120,000 miles on it about 3 years ago, and have had absolutely no major problems. I'm now up to 155,000 miles and still going great! I've been very pleased with how reliable this vehicle has been. I'm in Minnesota and have had it parked outside in well below zero temps and it always starts right up. I'm no great car expert, but it's been really solid for me. The paint's been fine, too, unlike some reports I've heard.