1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Old but strong
By barobot on 02/27/12 15:49 PM (PST)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

im 15 and this truck was my first car i bought it for 1500 on 11/12 with 156000 miles and counting. it has a pretty good sized rust hole in the passenger door and is kind of loud. the gas guage doesnt work and the paint is peeling on the roof but is no prob, this truck pulls like a fullsize truck and i average about 12 mpg in the city. it is faster than anything weve owned and is more roomy than our ranger or our old s10. i wouldnt get rid of it untill i die. if you are looking for a used truck for around 2500, this is what you should get! but dont get any of the second generation ones, there junk.

It will do what a truck should
By hud on 04/27/10 18:24 PM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my Dakota off a lease in 1996 with 24k and still drive it everyday (14 years, 130k). It is now pretty old but overall has held up fairly well. Many problems with drivetrain seals leaking and the ball joints only lasted to 80k. The biggest problem has been the paint, it started falling off in 2004 and now one side of the box is missing most of it's paint. Also lost paint along the roof line. Turns out this was a defect from Dodge in the primer, but they would not warranty it. The poor paint will likely be the reason I sell it in the near future, it still has a lot of miles left, but it is no longer anything to look at. No MAJOR problems, besides paint in 14 yrs of ownership.

Old reliable
By Dad on 09/08/09 19:33 PM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a reliable truck, with no major problems. Never had any engine or transmission work. It is a good balance between a car and a full-sized truck, especially if you don't need to pull a large trailer.

a very good all around truck
By James Strange on 02/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this car cheap and it's great. The interior design is good, with a large glovebox and wood panneling it's very large and comfortable. The infinity sound system is ambient with nice base for stock. The V8 is powerfull but a bit slow on the takeoff. It has a lot of pulling power for the size of the truck. The 4WD is great.It got me out of a ditch in two feet of snow.The extended cab is larger than one would expect.I've put 50,000 of it's 143,000 miles on it and I hav'nt had any engine or transmission problems with it yet.(just ware and tare stuff like hood latches and brake callipers.) One of the most comfortable and reliable cars I've ever owned for so low a price.

Extremely reliable!
By jrwahlst on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my '94 Dakota (w/3.9L V6) with 120,000 miles on it about 3 years ago, and have had absolutely no major problems. I'm now up to 155,000 miles and still going great! I've been very pleased with how reliable this vehicle has been. I'm in Minnesota and have had it parked outside in well below zero temps and it always starts right up. I'm no great car expert, but it's been really solid for me. The paint's been fine, too, unlike some reports I've heard.

best all around
By squierian on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a great truck. I've had it for almost for years, and the guy who had it before me babied it. I've had a little bit of trouble with the radiator, and have replaced at least one cv joint, but not too many more, and a wiper bushing. The air conditioner is excellent. I can push upwards of 320 miles to about 17 gallons, and have used this truck for work and play. The exterior is in agreable condtion, the only blemishes in the forms of dings and scratches. The headliner has been sagging, but I can live with that. I like it because it's in between the compact s-10's and the large f-150's.

94 Dakota SLT V8
By BJCjr on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Vehicle has been extremely reliable since buying new. Chrysler repainted vehicle due to paint peeling after warranty expired, but had to work through dealer and regional rep to get it completed. Gas Gauge sending unit has been replaced 4 times, still doesn't work sometimes, A/C won't hold charge, Chrysler can't find problem. Radiator leaked less than 2 years after owning, finally replaced after 6 years.

Dakotas for life
By Dakotasforlife on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Fun to drive and the most reliable vehicle ever built I haved owned an 87 Dakota and ran it for 396000 miles it was still running when it crashed but not worth saving so I moved on to a 94 Sport with extended cab and have had no problems in my 45000 miles.

Surprised by high quality & performance
By djd1212 on 06/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new in late 1993. It still just keeps going and going. Very few problems, quality higher than expected. Very good ride, more power than I need. Engine & transmission are still very smooth. I guess I'll have it another 10 years.

Work Truck
By SWC on 12/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It really is a comfortable vehicle, rides well and mine has every option so it has neat toys. However the build quality is terrible (such as my headliner caving in, the paint falling off, the interior fading to 4 differant shades of grey plus my dashboard turning blue). It has been driven hard and it is almost 10 years old, so I do expect things to go wrong... it just seems to happen more often then it should. As for safety, it's built like a tank... I wouldn't even consider a 1997 or newer because they are like tinfoil with plastic bumpers. Overall, I will keep this truck until I can get a nice old Toyota Tundra Quad-Cab at a reasonable price...