Used 1992 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Super Dependable
By CoalFreak

1992 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab LE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck 10 years ago, with 91,000 miles on it for my first vehicle. Since then, I have overheated it, run it out of oil, totaled another car with it, (stupid teenager stuff, you know?) driven it an additional 85,000 miles, ended up with it sitting for 4 years, and it still starts up the first time, every time. Incredible engine, I have never had any trouble with the engine itself. I have had to replace the rack and pinion, and right side A-arm, but that's probably due to the wreck. It just keeps on going! That 318 is a beast of an engine!

Engine, engine, engine. Plenty of power to haul with (moved into and out of my first 3 apartments with only this truck, and everything I had loaded in it, ran through WV hills, no trouble). Can fry 30" BFG offroad tires on demand. Very nice sound, with flowmaster system on it. It just...goes!

Like others have said, the paint does peel on this truck. Primer is good, so I just had it repainted again, worth it for a truck that's this reliable otherwise! Body is still good, very very little rust.

Best truck ever
By Spyder

1992 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new and still own it. It has never failed me and I've put it through some serious work. I load a large, cabover camper in the rear and take it off road here in Nevada. Even though it is not a 4- wheel drive truck it still handles almost all 4 wheeling roads as if it were. After 15 years I doubt I'll ever get rid of it. I've owned a lot of different trucks over the years and this one is heads above all of them. Mine is pretty basic, no big power options, but that just makes it easier to maintain and more reliable. If you ever are in a position to buy one of these trucks, you will not be disappointed.

Handling, hauling capacity, power, looks, rear bed design with notches for 2x4s, simplicity and ease of maintenance, strong rear end.

Paint began peeling early on and kept it up until I finally had it completely repainted. Uncomfortable front seat which I replaced. Added limited slip and lower gears in the rear along with Firestone air bags when I bought the cabover camper. Stereo speakers were not the best so I replaced them.

Good overall truck
By Vince

1992 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab LE 2dr Extended Cab SB

The 1992 Dakota is a very good overall truck. Power is decent for the era with the V6. Running the AC while driving in hot weather tends to cause it to need to downshift often to accelerate at certain speeds. I recommend the V8 for the club cab, especially with the 4x4 option. The exterior and interior design still looks good to this day. With a new paint job, removed plastic moldings, and wheels, many non-car-savvy people mistake mine for a new truck model.

V8 option in a smaller, lighter, and easier to manuever truck. More interior and truck bed room than the S-10/Ranger/etc.

Gas mileage is unimpressive. 16 mpg average in mixed driving with a maintained V6 and bedcover. Problems I've encountered: Timing chain develops slack causing it to eat up the gears. Distributor gear developed slack resulting in a hard to diagnose starting problem.

Dodge Dakota
By Wade

1992 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab LE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Fast for its day. Good towing ability. Plenty of power. Bring plenty of gas money. Extremely reliable.

Engine.

Seats.

Dakota
By Carman

1992 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab LE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great Truck,Lots of Power ,great ride confort,dependabl,great style,very cold air

Power