Used 1990 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

1990 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

An Okay Truck
By Okay Truck

1990 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab LE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had some good and bad experinces with this lemon. I know with a used truck you are going to have problems, but come on. When I first got it it had an oil leak. Then it had a coolent leak. Now it has a gas leak. What else is going to leak on this thing? When I set my cruise control it will rev itself up going downhill. I can see it doing that going up hill, but down? A month ago the headlights went out while I was going to school. I was at a Chrysler place and when I showed them my truck the guy said, and I quote, "You have a Dakota, it will last forever". Well, if it will last forever, mine is about to die.The transmission gets happy when you first start going in the morning. I would not recommend this truck to anyone.

Favorite Features

The only thing I like about this truck is the rims I have on it that I got for Christmas last year, and the performance.

Suggested Improvements

I have a long list for the improvements. The transmission, the fuel economy, the motor because it skip at times, the comfort because on long rides the seats get a little hard, the build quality, and the reliability.

Great Truck
By Great Truck

1990 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab LE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I am a sixteen year old and this is my first car. My father bought it for me when I was fifteen. That was my birthday gift from him and my mother. Ever since we had the truck I have had a lot of fun. The only thing I dislike about the truck is the color. It is blue and silver with double red stripes going down the side, and the chrome on the mirrors, bumbers and front end is showing its age.

Favorite Features

The things I like most about my truck is the horsepower, comfort of the interior, the tail pipes ( which make the truck sounds like it has a V8 instead of a V6) and the wonderful CD player it has now. (The tailpipes and CD player was for my sixteenth birthday)

Suggested Improvements

There are two things i think this truck should improve on. One of those things is the fuel economy.(The only time it is driven is on Fridays sometimes on Saturday and Sunday and when my parents take it someplace). The other thing was the cover on the steering wheel.

Great Mopar experience.
By king rat

1990 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have owned this 2WD truck for 8 years. It has outlasted two of my wife's Grand Caravan. Every morning Iturn the key, put it in gear, and go to work. Except when I fill it with hundreds of pounds of Scout gear and 2- 4 Boy Scouts. I am not easy on this truck, but I change the oil, keep it lubed, and wash it 2-3 times a month. The only rust on it is both doors have surface rust, 1/2" x 6" along the bottom, and one rear fender lip where the previous owner bumped a tree. I have 3 boys all 6' or more. It is tight, but we can still squeeze in to go camping.

Favorite Features

The ride is outstanding. The ride has always been very good. It, shifts smoothly, and just goes. Good in the snow. The seats are comfortable on camping trips.It hauls 1/2 ton very well. The Chrysler sound system is so nice I never considered anything else. It is easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

My only beef is the gas milage. I got between 18 & 22 mpg mixed (mostly highway). When I got close to 100,000 the milage has dropped to 14 - 16, same. Several proffessionals have tune- up the engine and tweeked to tranny, it will not do better than 16 mpg.