2014 Dodge Charger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Dodge Charger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Charger model:

Hemi with AWD, what's not to love!
By J. Demkovich

2014 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan AWD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

My wife asked about getting a Charger, and I knew owners loved them but I was surprised to see that reliability complaints were few and far between. So I agreed to look at one and I am so glad that we did! After 18 months the car now has 18K trouble free miles with two repairs: 1) the sunroof lost its mind after about a year - it refused to work until it was reset and reprogrammed by a dealer and 2) it came with a cracked panel in the trunk that was replaced by the dealer. We purchased the AWD version because I personally would not consider a RWD car (which most Chargers are) in Chicago where we live. AWD works great in snow and we feel very secure driving it in the worst weather. It switches into AWD when the temp goes below the upper 30s and the mileage drops in the winter - we get 2-3 mpg less in the winter vs summer. I do wish it had a switch to disable AWD but it does not. The AWD R/T has a softer suspension and different tires than the standard R/T. We like it this way because it is a family car for us and everyone is comfortable in the car. AWD also makes "burnouts" pretty much impossible, but if you are looking for acceleration there is no substitute for four wheels putting Hemi power on the road! The car is really fun and comfortable to drive in any weather. Last comment: 2014 was the final year for the AWD Hemi R/T so 2014 is the year to get if you want this model.

Worst car I have ever owned
By zenchargerguy

2014 Dodge Charger SXT 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Worst car ever, 2nd charger owned, 1st one died at 20k miles, transmission blew up, 2nd one, 2014 has horrible off gas odor that makes me sick and the car impossible to drive. Chrysler says the car is "operating as designed' and that I am out of luck. Do yourself a favor and buy literally anything else but Dodge.

None

Better materials, better design, less failures of tech, new GPS, no toxic off gassing

2014 dodge Charger RT 100th Anni Edition Review
By michaelf120

2014 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have a 2014 Dodge Charger RT 100th Anniversary edition. It gets a lot of looks with the deep red color and the styling is great. The car is just straight up fast. It will put out that 400bhp anytime you need it or just want to. The interior is spacious, high in tech and the heated seats and steering wheel will spoil you. I really like the charger but there are some issues too. I have had electrical issues with my car. Some are annoying and some are very concerning. I have had the radio just turn off to the headlights turning off while driving. Once the entire car just shut down while on the freeway. Chrysler has been trying to find the issue but haven't been able to locate it yet.

Favorite features. Heated steering wheel and seats 8.5" touch screen is a must! Muscle car feel in a 4door great looks Pretty good price to for what all you get. I ton of tech and style for 35 grand new.

The engine mpg is actually 19 avg even with 93 oct gas. The ride is a little ruff. The 2012 SXT+ had a better ride and fuel. Wipers hit the side by the driver door. Just wipe to far. Also the factor wipers don't last long in icy conditions. Voice commands need tweaked. Phone work OK+ but the radio commands are nearly useless. If I was to do it over again I would have gotten a SXT plus over the RT. Just my opinion.

Great Car to drive
By joelyjoel03

2014 Dodge Charger SE 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

After driving the car for 9 months now, I've been able to greatly assess the vehicle. What it lacks in acceleration it makes up in top speed. It's a very quick muscle car. My car is fairly "factory" on the mechanical side with the exception of an aftermarket K&N Air intake system. This simply added 2 or 3 horse power off the line and a more muscle sound from under the hood. The car has great handling on the high end, since being a bit more heavy than usual sedans, while the car is going slower. It's a heavy car (5100 lbs not including the gas and passengers) so you feel it greatly when trying to maneuver quickly. Let's just say I smoked a V8 Mustang with all the bells and whistles.

Breaks are GREAT Factory Michelin tires are great Touch Screen Standard radio head unit Blue Tooth Satellite Radio

Improvement on the engine strength and transmission timing would be great

Performance with gas mileage you can live with
By 0to60in15mins

2014 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have driven my Black on Black Charger for 7000 miles. Great performance. The gas mileage I am getting on my mixed commute is about 21 MPG. On the trips it can range from 26-28 depending on the speed, wind and terrain. The car is a rocket. Depending on what state I am in, folks get out of the way. Car wants to run at 80 MPH. With a top speed of 140 MPH, I wish I was back assigned back in Germany so I could drive this car as designed. Car is very comfortable at highway speeds. Car is a bit too stiff at low speeds on rough roads but that to be expected.

Hemi. 8.4 display. You know it's a Charger as it drives down the road. Great head lights on the RT.

During break in, the adaptive transmission was difficult to get use to. It does not know what gear to be in at the 35-40MPH range. But as the transmission broke in and I got use to how it shifts, the car now is fine. I wish that the window wiper control was a separate stock on the right side of the steering wheel instead of being combined with turn signal lever on the left.