2012 Dodge Charger Consumer Review: Not your grandfather's Dodge!

2012 Dodge Charger - Consumer Review

R/T Sedan (5.7L V8 5-speed Automatic)

Not your grandfather's Dodge!
By 2_skoops on

2012 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was in the market for the Charger SRT8. I had arranged a test drive of an SRT8 at a local dealer only to find out that someone had put a deposit on it. The sales person told me that he had an idea … “How about an R/T with the Road and Track package”. Well, I was there anyway so … OK. First are the looks. In the Road & Track trim the grill is flat black w/ the heritage R/T badge in red. The rims are 20” retro chrome fitted with 245/45-20 Goodyear F1 Super Car tires. Inside there is an 8.4 inch infotainment system. It integrates with the iPod/Phone through the Bluetooth or USB interface. The usual GPS, Sirius, CD/MP3, AM/FM that you would expect from a full sized sedan. 10 Alpine speakers, w/ Sub powered by a 550 watt amp. The ride is very quiet and smooth.

Favorite Features

The performance! The 5.7 Hemi makes 370 HP which turns this 4400 lb sedan into a beast! With the 3.06 rear available in the Road & Track, the launch is amazing. There is also a 3 position Electronic Stability Control. The suspension has 2 modes … automatic which is fine for every day driving, or Sport. In Sport, the suspension tightens and this large 4 door sedan can easily carve up a country road. I have a 32 mile commute to work and I am averaging about 21.5 MPG (depending on how many hybrids are in the left lane). The steering seems a little detached, but you won’t have to wrestle the steering wheel around a corner either

Suggested Improvements

The 8 speed transmission would help get better gas mileage. Integrating the exhaust cut out that’s available in the SRT8 and Super Bee versions would give the exhaust note some muscle car growl.