Used 2012 Dodge Charger Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Charger - Consumer Reviews

2012 Dodge Charger

View reviews for a specific Charger model:

Sad to see it go
By juan perez

2012 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this car New, in 2012, loved the color and interior, the 20in rims look beast. The Car drove like a beast, even parked, it looked tuff. high way driving the best.. passing cars, it was man and machine as one. I really took care of this car being my first ever major purchase, so very few hard drives, dealer service oil changes, reg car wash and vacuum,, mostly weekend family trips. until 30k, first service sparkplugs +/-$300. After that I started to notice more, Bluetooth had a hard time to sync with multiple devices hooked up, transmission shifting got jumpy, One rim cracked twice then another, took it to dealer and not there problem but I could buy a set of factory rims for $$$$. to repair $100 each time. guess which way I went? then at 60k sparkplugs again? another $300.. then I couldn't get Dealer to fix my driver side airbag light on dash under warranty, oh, but after warranty expired.. now they want to fix it for $$$.. then the battery died, couldn't jump start the car, had to buy a booster. Battery replaced new from autozone $200. wife took car to dealer, they charged her $800 for service and the airbag light.. that ends up coming on again right before she drove it home???? Might be normal spending for some but not for me, having a Toyota Tacoma base pickup, that I bought also new in 2010.. now having close to 100k and only service where oil changes.... So I drove my beast Charger R/T to the Toyota dealer and drove off in a 2016 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad.. Maybe in 10yrs i'll buy a 2012 charger r/t , by then they should be preety cheap..

Beauty runs skin deep
By Wayne Wease

2012 Dodge Charger SXT 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I bought this car used from a local dealer,I've had nothing but problems with the way the transmission downshifts.I found out that the transmission was replaced a few thousand miles before i puchased it.It had 35,380,dealer never told me nothing .It feels like the engine is trying to run at higher rpms and the brakes don't want to stop correctly.I got no satisfaction from the dealer and tried another,they downloaded new software and told me it was not covered under warranty or any extended warranty that i purchased seperatly.I paid the amount and it still did not take care of problem,service told me to give it time to learn my driving habits,it never got better.Since then my big screen that controls everything has locked up twice,they had to do updates on.I had problems with drivers side window and i could go on and on.I'am very disappointed in this vehical and have only had it for 10 monthes.It does run down the highway nice and is a good looking car.I wish i had some help in resolving these issues.I would look over other sedans if i were you.I will probably trade it after the new year.

Beware of Electronics!
By jjski78

2012 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I had my 2012 R/T for 3.5 years and 65,002 miles. Here are my final thoughts on the car:
The performance is spectacular. The 5.7 Hemi is more engine than most drivers will ever need (but then again, so is the 3.6) and is really a gem. It is smooth and docile when driven gently, and turns into a snarling monster when you put your foot down. Combined with a cold air intake and a Flowmaster dual exhaust it really became quite an animal. Let's just say I never needed much room to pass a bad/slow driver, and the sound coming from the exhaust was more than enough to let them know I didn't approve of their driving style. The car really was a bit of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Again, driving gently the engine was very docile, and the ride was borderline supple. Though the 20" wheels never allow it to get too soft. When you're driving it closer to the edge, the engine is right there with you and the suspension seems to tighten right up and allow you to take corners at speeds that would have been suicide in a car this large 20 years ago. On top of the craziness, it was not uncommon for me to obtain 30+ MPG on the highway and low-mid 20's in the city. Make sure you're using mid grade fuel though.

The interior is fantastic. The seats are probably the most comfortable I have ever sat in. With severe back issues I could easily drive this car for 12+ hours and not have a problem. They are supportive and comfortable. The materials used on the interior are also great. Is it Audi great? No. But it is definitely a fantastic place to be. Everything is laid out intuitively, and access to most controls is through the touch screen or through the steering wheel.

So why did I get rid of it? One word: electronics. Simply said, the electronics were complete trash. When you're making bets with yourself over how many of your 12 speakers are going to work on this start, there's a problem. When the radio decides you really didn't want to listen to that song, and then literally refuses to play that one song until the car is shut off and restarted, there's a problem. When it decides you really didn't want to connect your bluetooth, mid call, there's a problem. And finally, when the bluetooth call quality sounds like old tv static being transmitted through an olympic size swimming pool, it's just time to move on. The dealer said they would basically replace the entire system, at a very substantial cost to me due to the fact this all happened after the warranty was up. So it was time to walk away. I've been told mine was a rare occurrence, and that may be. Still doesn't change the fact that it happened and those horrifyingly bad electronics ruined the entire experience of the car.

Would do it again
By skypig86

2012 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan AWD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would own a Dodge - this is my 5th! Bought new in '12, wife hogs it. Set out to buy an Infiniti M, but the Dodge wins on noise, room, entrance/egress, toys, and performance. The AWD is not as good as BMW, reminds me of my Aspen. It kicks in after you slip a little - I guess they wanted you to know you were changing envelopes whereas my 330XI was hardly noticeable. Only issue so far was a bushing squeak in the steering column that was fixed under warranty.

Easy use screen, ease of access, comfort, power, handling, appearance

Reduce delay on engaging AWD, tighten up Auto function of A/C system

Multiple Displacement System Ruins the Car!!
By steve521

2012 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I had my 2012 Charger R/T Max for 17 months and sold it.
The 4-6-8 cylinder system fights with the transmission in traffic.
It's constantly trying to drop back to 4 cyl mode which cuts your low end torque in half, makes it downshift, then the other cylinders kick in while the engine races.
It's totally confused!
Build quality is great except, drivers seat power actuator moved jerkily and had to be replaced.
Had radio replaced once and then rear channel failed again.
Started smelling antifreeze inside the car at 25,000 miles, needs new heater core.
Clunk in rear end when shifting gears in stop and go traffic.
Over engineered and under built!!!

All the bells and whistles of a $60K mercedes for $34K. Most of which worked. Love the power when it's not in 4cyl mode. (unfortunately it's always in 4cyl mode if I'm not stomping on it)

Switch to turn off Multiple Displacement Mode or better yet, just eliminate it. I got the same gas mileage manually shifting it into 5th gear on the highway which is supposed to turn off the MDS. It's total kitch to make people think it get's better gas mileage and sell it to V6 shoppers. Needs a tighter rear end, major clunk issue in stop and go traffic. Put in a 6 speed transmission. Better quality head end for sound system, mine failed twice. Better seat actuator, runs rough.