Used 2012 Dodge Charger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Charger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Charger model:

Would do it again
By skypig86

2012 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan AWD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would own a Dodge - this is my 5th! Bought new in '12, wife hogs it. Set out to buy an Infiniti M, but the Dodge wins on noise, room, entrance/egress, toys, and performance. The AWD is not as good as BMW, reminds me of my Aspen. It kicks in after you slip a little - I guess they wanted you to know you were changing envelopes whereas my 330XI was hardly noticeable. Only issue so far was a bushing squeak in the steering column that was fixed under warranty.

Easy use screen, ease of access, comfort, power, handling, appearance

Reduce delay on engaging AWD, tighten up Auto function of A/C system

Multiple Displacement System Ruins the Car!!
By steve521

2012 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I had my 2012 Charger R/T Max for 17 months and sold it. The 4-6-8 cylinder system fights with the transmission in traffic. It's constantly trying to drop back to 4 cyl mode which cuts your low end torque in half, makes it downshift, then the other cylinders kick in while the engine races. It's totally confused! Build quality is great except, drivers seat power actuator moved jerkily and had to be replaced. Had radio replaced once and then rear channel failed again. Started smelling antifreeze inside the car at 25,000 miles, needs new heater core. Clunk in rear end when shifting gears in stop and go traffic. Over engineered and under built!!!

All the bells and whistles of a $60K mercedes for $34K. Most of which worked. Love the power when it's not in 4cyl mode. (unfortunately it's always in 4cyl mode if I'm not stomping on it)

Switch to turn off Multiple Displacement Mode or better yet, just eliminate it. I got the same gas mileage manually shifting it into 5th gear on the highway which is supposed to turn off the MDS. It's total kitch to make people think it get's better gas mileage and sell it to V6 shoppers. Needs a tighter rear end, major clunk issue in stop and go traffic. Put in a 6 speed transmission. Better quality head end for sound system, mine failed twice. Better seat actuator, runs rough.

Interior lights wont shut off automatically
By 2012blkcharger

2012 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Lately when I crank my car all of the interior door lights in both the front and back will remain on. Ive checked to make sure that all doors are shut tight. Ive also checked to ensure that the roll light button control wasn't accidentally turned on. To make matters worse the only way that i can turn off the interior door lights is to individually press each light to switch them off. So literally I have to pull over and get out of my car and walk to the rear seats and passenger seats to press the light fixtures to off. Ive owned many vehicles in my 29 years and have never experienced such a problem. Any suggestions?

The exterior views, and strong HEMI

8 speed automatic transmission. There is so much more power that should be released from this beast but with the 5 speed transmission at times you cant access that power.

Beware buy Charger RT used not new!!!
By 2012blkcharger

2012 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased my brand new 2012 Dodge Charger in march 2012 . So far in less than 6 months Ive put on over 19k miles. This car has very strong acceleration, and is truly a head turner especially with the 20 chrome wheels. Some concerns that i have with the car is that after a long hard highway drive this car has a very strong exhaust gas fume which enters the car. Ive taken it to the dealer twice and they cant seem to pinpoint the problem. Ive owned 11 new cars in my 30 yr lifetime, and have never experienced this type of chemical odor. This issue seems to be random and seems to happen more when the temperature reaches over 70 degrees outdoors. Has anyone else had this same issue?

Strong acceleration, nice exterior, great interior, great large navigation display monitor.

Dodge needs to improve the fuel economy. Also the transmission in the Hemi needs to be updated with either a 6 or 7 speed transmission. The cloth seats aren't comfortable for extended periods of time. Strong exhaust smells need to be addressed. Resale value is horrible. My car has already depreciated by over 7k in less than six months.

The best car that you are over looking...
By themightyinf

2012 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

First things first... I have never owned anything other than V8's. I kinda feel than anything less is... unamerican. So, for my first big family four door, I had two real choices. Ford Taurus or Dodge Charger R/T...and they dont make V8 Taurus(siii?) So Dodge is was the winner. The vehicle is very well appointed, great sound system (Beats By Dre), and its not too shabby on the eyes. I wish I could read the minds on the BMW and Merc owners that pull up next to me... Not the typical look and feel of the Dodge of 10 years ago, or even two years ago for that matter. I dont have enough characters remaining to list the standard items on this car... Just Great!!!

Value... you would have to spend $50k on a car from another country to match what you would find here. The 5.7 Hemi V8 moves the heavy four door with minimal fuss. The Uconnect is great, connected my iPhone in 10 seconds. The Tomtom turn by turn navigation on the 8.4 inch touch screen works great. Want sports scores or weather, its just a touch away. Whats playing at the nearest movie? It knows. Looks... This thing looks great, a massive improvement over the last model. Cheap plastic is gone, thanks to the new owners(fiat). The gaps are clean and looks much more costly than you would think. A very sharp car!!

Now the dislikes, deep footwells in the back means scratched up trim due to constant shoe scuffs. The trunk opens alittle too tall... people with high issues are gonna have issues closing the boot. Head space is gonna suck for the tall in the rear seats, your gonna get to know that rear wind screen very well. Can we call it something else? Four door "Charger"? Right... They got the Challenger correct, i would really like to see a Charger Coupe! One can dream!