An honest SXT review after 2 years...
By Sam on
2007 Dodge Charger 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)
I drive an SXT. Awesome to look at, fun to drive, handles well (especially for its size), it is big and comfortable with plenty of room for my 6'5" 300 lb body. Lots of space, huge back seat, huge trunk. Great family car. Problems: There are several "known issues" they're not horrendously expensive to fix, but the two problems I had are both well known and common (shifter becoming "jammed" due to a mechanical breakage of an internal plastic part and the O-Ring for the transmission doesn't fit quite right and will have to be replaced eventually). Biggest problem is the build quality. It is cheap. The car develops rattles and squeaks quickly on the interior plastic molding.
Favorite Features
Beautiful to look at. Fun to drive. Handles amazingly. Ability to manually shift even though its an automatic (manumatic transmission, Wikipedia it) is great. LOTS of room, can't stress how much interior room this car has, like driving a couch but still handles well. Lots of fun all around.
Suggested Improvements
Stop selling below the SXT model, the engine in the base line model is too small and doesn't provide enough power for the weight of the car. Improve the build quality, rattles and squeaks drive me insane. Stop using the plastic part in the shifters that breaks (widely reported problem).
By kurtg
on 02/04/11 20:54 PM (PST)

Get rid of it now while you can before that pc of junk cost you too much. I have a 2007 w/3.5l purchased it new with 21 miles on it. After 10,000 the cheap interior squeeks and rattles non stop. I now have 97,000 and have to pay money out of pocket just to get rid of on trade in. So far I have replaced ball joints,tie rods, control arm bushings, rotars and breaks 3 times. Transmission leak twice, and rear end leak once. A/C aircompressor has completely blown up. Water pump went out, timing belt jumped, completely had to rebuild upper portion of engine--rockers, rocker arms, intake & exhaust valves, re-machine the heads. Rocker arms twice for ticking and lifters for same ticking problems. Now transmission is acting up. And guess what for fun this weekend I'm changing out the control arm bushings, and sway arm bushings again since they are driving me nuts clunking over bumps. And yes I take very good care of my car and none of this is from abuse. I make sure everything on this car is serviced and taken care of at the dealership ,and have all service records down to my car wash's. Jus trust me get rid of it before it breaks especially if you have the 2.7 engine. They have alot of problems with timing belt jumping and when it does it wrecks the whole upper portion of that engine, and they also have problems with sludge in that 2.7 engine--not from not servicing the engine regularly every 3000,but the ports and intake are to small for oil to cycle through properly. As you can see I'm not happy with this car this is the worst vehicle I have ever owned and will never buy a Dodge again. Im getting rid of this in about a month to buy a Ford.