Used 2006 Dodge Charger RT Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Charger Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Charger model:

Absolute garbage.
By James Smythe

2006 Dodge Charger Sedan RT 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle for over two years now and drive it consistently. Be prepared to buy brakes and rotors on a constant basis. Look up this issue on the internet. Dodge put small, two piston calipers on a 4000 # car, causing it to warp rotors at a rapid rate. The lug nut design is set up in a way that you have to hammer a socket onto the caps to get them off, destroying them in the process. Once they're all off, you can remove the lug nuts, then the tire. So good luck if you get a flat and have to change it. It is an extra $38 every time my tires come off because I have to replace the caps. The car could have a lot of power, but the computer takes over and effectively destroys any throttle response. When shifting into Drive, if you step on the gas the vehicle will literally sit and do nothing for two seconds, then all of a sudden decide to go somewhere. The blind spot visibility is low, so check a couple times before changing lanes. All in all, this is a poorly designed vehicle. Please save yourself the wasted money.

My Review would have been better 1 year ago!
By Dor

2006 Dodge Charger Sedan RT 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

One year ago I thought I really loved my Dodge Charger with the Hemi engine. The navigation system was cumbersome and outdated, but I loved it anyways. Then June of 2015 out of nowhere I am driving and I see smoke coming out from under the hood. I immediately pulled over and opened the hood, smoke bellowed out. I had the car towed to the dealer and I was told a piston ceased and I needed a new engine. I was quoted $7k for a rebuilt with warranty and $3200 for a used engine. That just makes me mad! I took care of my car, why did the engine fail. The mileage is 120,000, I was hoping to drive it a few more years. Researching online I found several owner complaints of the 2006 Dodge Charger engine failure, all with similar experiences. The forums are saying that the engine design has caused premature engine failures. Nice. So I contacted Chrysler directly as my extended warranty was through a year prior. I was told that there is nothing they can or will do for me, they said it is unfortunate that it happened, but oh well. Anyone who is looking to buy a Dodge Charger should check out the online reviews and never purchase one without an extended warranty and unless you are a car enthusiast or mechanic, sell the car before the warranty is up! And so much for customer appreciation.

2006 Charger R/T Riddled with Problems
By motorhead62

2006 Dodge Charger Sedan RT 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Poor build quality. There was a recall for the shifter assembly that my vehicle was not a part of, that I had to pay out of pocket. Terrible Chrysler customer service. Constant rattle in the front end that the dealer could not resolve. Terrible ride over broken pavement. HVAC never worked properly and it developed a fan rattle in the dash. Parking break never worked. Dodge could not fix. The battery for the car is a M. Benz marine battery and hard to locate. This car was my first and LAST Chrysler product. Never again.

Despised this car after 7 years.

Hopefully Fiat had better input.

well, it Looks Cool! But Eh...
By rickyryan

2006 Dodge Charger Sedan RT 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

It looks good, it feels good. So good!.until you let the charger run at idle for 10 minutes in your drive way, and bye bye sweet machine. i have an 06' charger R/T. At 92,000 miles(always babied) my radiator fans failed, causing the motor to heat up so quickly at idle it dropped not one, but two valve seats,Quickly destroying all that was my HEMI. $4,000 later, i'm still having issues with sticky lifters, my flex disk in the rear end snapped, new tie rod needed in the front, starter is bad. Disappointing seeing that Dodge has always been a favorite for me. Just be cautious if you purchase one. I know ever car is different(even being the same model)but still..beware code P0300! Random Misfire

PROS:Looks are unbeatable. When the motor is 100%, it is a power house, good ole' HEMI power! The interior is supreme with clean lines, and simple dash, with four perfectly placed Tach's. Almost a late 60's simplicity vibe! CONS: Premature engine failure that hasn't been recalled. Faulty fans. faulty drive shaft. unreliable, to the point as where some days i'm nervous to drive it. Especially date night, where it just dies doing 50mph.(that's not embarrassing!) start it back up and it sounds like a 50 cc 2 stroke dirt bike due to a lifter stickin'!! Blue smoke shootin',hot runnin',gas suckin,tire eating monster. But it looks nice i guess.

My suggested improvement is improving my decision making skills. The word disappointing keeps coming to mind. Good Luck.

Loved it untill Motor Died at 46k and Bought new.
By npalafax

2006 Dodge Charger Sedan RT 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

My first brand new car in Oct 2006. Car was still in bubble wrap ect. Car has been so so on the reliability scale. The second day I had it the radio knobs fell off. At 32k the coolant reserve tank failed at least it was parked when that happened. The car is not driven much only on short trips. The car drives excellent ect. But the reliability isnt great. I am a 40 yr old and dont hot rod this car like a18yr old. This is where the kicker comes in. At 46k the motor failed... would not start. Towed to Dodge and found it dropped a valve seat and damaged the whole motor. Dodge said it was a common problem. I was lucky got the 4k warranty from dealer didn't pay anything for repair. TRADING IT IN!!

Power, handling, Looks,

Needs better Safety Features, Horrible Gas Millage, Needs more options, Bad Reliability for only a DEALER SERVICED CAR, Cheap interior dodge replaced seat at 28k when the seams came out. Should have bought the Lexus at least I would have saved some with trade in value.

• SUV