Used 2006 Dodge Charger RT Consumer Reviews - 239 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Charger - Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Charger

View reviews for a specific Charger model:

great car
By J maynard

2006 Dodge Charger RT 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great car,/poor workmanship with motor
By Charmaine

2006 Dodge Charger RT 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I believe I was ripped off from the start. I paid 42,000 for my car in 2006. One of the salesman had been driving g it back and forth home before I bought it. I had it for seven years and the motor acted up. I took it to the dealership and they charged me 400 dollars to tears down theotor to find the problem. I was told that a part of the feul injector broke off and fell down in the cylinder and scratched it up real bad. It was sounding like a truck with lou d pipes. I think that everybody that bought a 2006 dodge charger, that had problems with the hemi motor, the shift, and the tie rod ends should sue the makers of the hemi motors for all the troubles, and for being falsely mislead about the 2006 dodge charger.

Absolute garbage.
By James Smythe

2006 Dodge Charger RT 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle for over two years now and drive it consistently. Be prepared to buy brakes and rotors on a constant basis. Look up this issue on the internet. Dodge put small, two piston calipers on a 4000 # car, causing it to warp rotors at a rapid rate.
The lug nut design is set up in a way that you have to hammer a socket onto the caps to get them off, destroying them in the process. Once they're all off, you can remove the lug nuts, then the tire. So good luck if you get a flat and have to change it. It is an extra $38 every time my tires come off because I have to replace the caps. The car could have a lot of power, but the computer takes over and effectively destroys any throttle response. When shifting into Drive, if you step on the gas the vehicle will literally sit and do nothing for two seconds, then all of a sudden decide to go somewhere. The blind spot visibility is low, so check a couple times before changing lanes.
All in all, this is a poorly designed vehicle. Please save yourself the wasted money.

My Review would have been better 1 year ago!
By Dor

2006 Dodge Charger RT 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

One year ago I thought I really loved my Dodge Charger with the Hemi engine. The navigation system was cumbersome and outdated, but I loved it anyways. Then June of 2015 out of nowhere I am driving and I see smoke coming out from under the hood. I immediately pulled over and opened the hood, smoke bellowed out. I had the car towed to the dealer and I was told a piston ceased and I needed a new engine. I was quoted $7k for a rebuilt with warranty and $3200 for a used engine. That just makes me mad! I took care of my car, why did the engine fail. The mileage is 120,000, I was hoping to drive it a few more years. Researching online I found several owner complaints of the 2006 Dodge Charger engine failure, all with similar experiences. The forums are saying that the engine design has caused premature engine failures. Nice. So I contacted Chrysler directly as my extended warranty was through a year prior. I was told that there is nothing they can or will do for me, they said it is unfortunate that it happened, but oh well. Anyone who is looking to buy a Dodge Charger should check out the online reviews and never purchase one without an extended warranty and unless you are a car enthusiast or mechanic, sell the car before the warranty is up! And so much for customer appreciation.

2006 Charger R/T Riddled with Problems
By motorhead62

Poor build quality.
There was a recall for the shifter assembly that my vehicle was not a part of,
that I had to pay out of pocket.

Terrible Chrysler customer service.
Constant rattle in the front end that the dealer could not resolve.
Terrible ride over broken pavement.
HVAC never worked properly and it developed a fan rattle in the dash.
Parking break never worked.
Dodge could not fix.
The battery for the car is a M. Benz marine battery and hard to locate.

This car was my first and LAST Chrysler product.
Never again.

Despised this car after 7 years.

Hopefully Fiat had better input.