Used 2006 Dodge Charger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Charger - Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Charger

View reviews for a specific Charger model:

3.5
By jjhenagin

2006 Dodge Charger SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned the 3.5 for almost eight years, I'm over 130,000 miles and I have no complaints. I drove this thing hard and put it away wet almost every day of those eight years and it wasn't until 120,000 that I had a problem, a broken tie rod which was the result of my bad driving. I can't speak for the hemi, but the 3.5 has been reliable for me. My only complaint about the 3.5 is the mileage, it's a pig. Other than that, I love my car, it's reliable, smooth driving and easy handling, quick, comfortable. I plan on replacing it with another 3.5 when the time comes.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage

2006 Charger R/T Riddled with Problems
By motorhead62

2006 Dodge Charger RT 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Poor build quality. There was a recall for the shifter assembly that my vehicle was not a part of, that I had to pay out of pocket. Terrible Chrysler customer service. Constant rattle in the front end that the dealer could not resolve. Terrible ride over broken pavement. HVAC never worked properly and it developed a fan rattle in the dash. Parking break never worked. Dodge could not fix. The battery for the car is a M. Benz marine battery and hard to locate. This car was my first and LAST Chrysler product. Never again.

Favorite Features

Despised this car after 7 years.

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully Fiat had better input.

well, it Looks Cool! But Eh...
By rickyryan

2006 Dodge Charger RT 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

It looks good, it feels good. So good!.until you let the charger run at idle for 10 minutes in your drive way, and bye bye sweet machine. i have an 06' charger R/T. At 92,000 miles(always babied) my radiator fans failed, causing the motor to heat up so quickly at idle it dropped not one, but two valve seats,Quickly destroying all that was my HEMI. $4,000 later, i'm still having issues with sticky lifters, my flex disk in the rear end snapped, new tie rod needed in the front, starter is bad. Disappointing seeing that Dodge has always been a favorite for me. Just be cautious if you purchase one. I know ever car is different(even being the same model)but still..beware code P0300! Random Misfire

Favorite Features

PROS:Looks are unbeatable. When the motor is 100%, it is a power house, good ole' HEMI power! The interior is supreme with clean lines, and simple dash, with four perfectly placed Tach's. Almost a late 60's simplicity vibe! CONS: Premature engine failure that hasn't been recalled. Faulty fans. faulty drive shaft. unreliable, to the point as where some days i'm nervous to drive it. Especially date night, where it just dies doing 50mph.(that's not embarrassing!) start it back up and it sounds like a 50 cc 2 stroke dirt bike due to a lifter stickin'!! Blue smoke shootin',hot runnin',gas suckin,tire eating monster. But it looks nice i guess.

Suggested Improvements

My suggested improvement is improving my decision making skills. The word disappointing keeps coming to mind. Good Luck.

Loved it untill Motor Died at 46k and Bought new.
By npalafax

2006 Dodge Charger RT 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

My first brand new car in Oct 2006. Car was still in bubble wrap ect. Car has been so so on the reliability scale. The second day I had it the radio knobs fell off. At 32k the coolant reserve tank failed at least it was parked when that happened. The car is not driven much only on short trips. The car drives excellent ect. But the reliability isnt great. I am a 40 yr old and dont hot rod this car like a18yr old. This is where the kicker comes in. At 46k the motor failed... would not start. Towed to Dodge and found it dropped a valve seat and damaged the whole motor. Dodge said it was a common problem. I was lucky got the 4k warranty from dealer didn't pay anything for repair. TRADING IT IN!!

Favorite Features

Power, handling, Looks,

Suggested Improvements

Needs better Safety Features, Horrible Gas Millage, Needs more options, Bad Reliability for only a DEALER SERVICED CAR, Cheap interior dodge replaced seat at 28k when the seams came out. Should have bought the Lexus at least I would have saved some with trade in value.

2006 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T
By kirtie

2006 Dodge Charger RT 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the car with 7100 miles on it, and have driven it (carefully) through all four North Dakota seasons. It isn't what I'd call a "winter" car around here but it has done the job just fine. No squeaks, rattles, leaks, mechanical trouble of any kind except the passenger seat sensor got tipped up a teeny bit by my girlfriend's shoe- adjusted back by hand in 30 seconds. I have Top Banana #298 and I would advise anyone with the opportunity to buy one! I have 37900 on it now. Prepare for everyone you meet to stare and almost every kid to shout "it's Bumblebee from Tranformers!" (of course that's a Camaro but I don't get offended)

Favorite Features

15/26 city/highway and I have a lead foot. Heated seats are wonderful, tranny is smooth and so is the power. Starts easily at 100 above or 40 below zero. Traction control is incredible so long as you have good tires. You *will* get noticed in this car!

Suggested Improvements

Forward visibility is ridiculous- I can't see stoplights if I'm in the front of the line, but it's a small matter to lean forward a bit. Same with the blind spot, but a little extra caution goes a long way there as well. Otherwise my only complaint is that I only have one in my garage!!