Used 2009 Dodge Challenger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Challenger - Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Challenger

View reviews for a specific Challenger model:

First Muscle Car Owner
By Scott Caldwell

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

The 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 is an absolute BEAST!!! I was first drawn to the Challenger by its incredible retro- styling. The broad sholders and intimidating front grill (much different from any other Dodge grill pattern) just made this car stand out and grab your attention. Although the car looks great, what really sold me on the car was the way it drove. Once I sat behind the wheel and drove the SRT8 (with the 6 speed manual transmission) I was simply blown away. The car growled and rumbled with sheer power and accelerated like nothing I have ever driven before. The 6.1 Hemi with the 6 spd transmission convinced me that I would enjoy the Challenger for years to come.

Favorite Features

the 6.1 Hemi and 6 speed transmission sells this car. The sheer acceleration and growl of the powerful engine is its best feature. The car's navigation and blue-tooth sync system is also very nice. Feels like a luxury car more than a rugged Muscle Car inside.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage and an additional push to talk button for the bluetooth system on the sterring wheel are the only improvements I can think of for this car. Gas mileage is hard to improve without sacrificing the power that sells the car in the first place.

Close to Perfect
By BootCamp

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

Saw the Concept car in late 2006. Hadn't bought a new car since 1986 - nothing worth getting excited about - until I saw the Challenger. Ordered my SRT in March, got it in November. It was worth the wait. 6 speed is tight, limited slip 3.92 gearing is great. 425 HP from 370 cu in is better than the original 426 cu to hp ratio. Handles like a car half its weight. The styling is amazing. The Pacifica Studio folks did a great job! Hit the retro look nail on the head in every way! Can't go anywhere without someone wanting to chat about the car - and look under the hood. Huge trunk and back seats - compared to Mustang and Camaro. The car has been flawless under all conditions. AMAZING RIDE!

Favorite Features

The styling, power, Kicker Audio System, fit and finish, GREAT bolstered seats (heated and embossed leather), comfort are ALL great! Best feature is how retro it looks. It;s like owning a classic '70's Challenger, but without the demand of regular repairs and adjustments. Just start it and GO!

Suggested Improvements

Address the heat-related "keyless go" "fob not detected" problem. Change out the rear bushings to help with the "wheel hop" issues launching from a standing start on the 6 speeds. Ditch the 1st to 4th gear skip shift if theres a legal or financial way around it.

Love my B5 Challenger!
By djpatrick35

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

Over the years, I've owned three Corvettes and while I loved those cars, nothing compares to the Challenger. As a 20-something driving an '07 Corvette, most of the attention I was getting was negative whereas the Challenger gets nothing but positive attention. The car is plenty fast for its size and the interior is large and comfortable. At 6'6" few cars can fit me, but the Challenger is very comfortable and I can actually fit three people with me - something I couldn't say with a Camaro or Mustang. The shifts are a little long and the skip-shift, while annoying, is something I'm already used to with my Corvette's Tremec 6-Speed. Overall, I love the look, the character, and speed of my SRT.

Favorite Features

The looks, bar none. I've wanted a Challenger since I saw the concept in 2006 and the production car looks even better than the concept did. The 6.1 isn't nearly as fast as my old Vettes, but with about 700 pounds more heft, that's expected. The pistol grip is to die for and I LOVE my B5 Blue color.

Suggested Improvements

The Tremec is notchy just like it was in my C6, but hey, that's not Chrysler's fault. It could use some weight loss or power gain and the gas mileage is rightfully atrocious, but other than that, it's a masterpiece! I love my SRT!

Fun Car With Glitches
By moparfool

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Generally a great car. I have always really liked the late 1960s Dodge B body (Charger) and E body (Challenger) cars. The new Challenger distills the old E body car design without the noise, handling, body flex, and 10 mile per gallon issues of the older muscle cars. The acceleration and handling are great, IMO. I picked the 5.7 liter R/T as the best compromise on engine power, cost, and gas mileage. There have been two glitches; at 3500 miles the airbag light came on for a few seconds while cruising. And at 4000 miles the alternator / battery light came on and stayed on until I shut the engine off and restarted. The dealer checked all wiring and found nothing.

Favorite Features

Hemi Orange color sure gets attention. People love the car and how it looks. Twenty inch wheels look great; nice growl from the exhaust pipes; excellent boulevard and freeway ride. Has a wind noise free and quiet ride, and a great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Turn signal indication location is very poor. Getting into the back seat is not for the faint of heart.

Why Wait?
By Glenn R

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Fantastic Auto! Got the 6speed manual been geting 29.5 mpg here in New Hampshire on the highway. the average mpg is around 25mpg. this mpg does drop when I show off or when speeds exceed 75mph car handles well even at speeds in excess of 100mph (straight line that is) fun to drive on twisting Vermont roads. over 9300 miles now engine and drive train great car cant say enough about it. If you want one buy it now. dont what the goverment will have you driving around in the "the people's car" they will all look the same performance will be some thing we will dream about (remember the Yugo?)

Favorite Features

Trak Pack, 6 speed manual, 345cid Hemi, sound system, out side style

Suggested Improvements

lower reverse gear. get rid of hood prop rod.