Used 2009 Dodge Challenger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Challenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Challenger model:

great car
By LENZ001

2009 Dodge Challenger SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the 3.5 l so I could enjoy the look and feel and still afford to drive it. Gets looks everywhere I go and everyone I talk to agree gas mileage is way to go. No regrets at all still has get up and go

Favorite Features

styling and the torrid red color

Suggested Improvements

how about 5 speed tranny

A sexy car with a few deficiencies
By armypilot17

2009 Dodge Challenger SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car in late Feb 09, have put roughly 8600 miles (Aug 09) on it since then and am still very pleased with my choice. For reference I replaced a 99 Malibu. Exterior is amazing, still draws comments and gawking stares, corners extremely well for its size. Interior is a lil uninspired, strongly recommend the sunroof to avoid a cave- like feeling. Very comfortable though and plenty of room in the back seat and trunk. 0-60 seems a lil lacking, but 60-80 is near instantaneous. Putting an exhaust on it soon, a lil quiet for a sports car. Engine bay is large, plenty of mod space. very reliable, NO mechanical issues to date. Gas mileage is about 23mpg combined highway/city. Love this car.

Favorite Features

Sexy exterior looks Corners very sharply Smooth shifting transmission Comfortable seating Plenty of interior room Big trunk Good gas mileage Can turn off electronic stability

Suggested Improvements

Make anti-lock brakes standard Redesign the interior Ramp up the V6's horsepower a bit Driver-side access to rear seat

2009 Challenger R/T
By tuco21

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought an '09 R/T Challenger in February. The ignition module failed after 4500 miles. The car sat at the dealership for almost 2 weeks while they kept telling me that they could not find the parts. Finally they fixed it. When I got it back, it was scratched and the interior was filthy (of course this was the dealership's fault that I took to). Also on 4 occasions prior to the ignition failing, the vehicle was hard to start - it acted like the battery was low. The cruise control resume did not work smoothly (you could hit the resume button at about 60 mph and it would jerk it's way back to 70). Anyway I traded it for a new GT Mustang last week. Too many heartaches.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the electrical system.

FUN!!!
By groovymcawesome

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've never had a car I look forward to driving more than this one, and I've had a lot of cars, including a 1970 R/T. Just a blast to drive. Very responsive for being so heavy. Great sound system.

Favorite Features

Hemi, Hemi Orange paint, comfortable seats, great car for a daily driver

Suggested Improvements

make engine bay a little more aesthetically pleasing. getting in and out of back seat is a bear. slightly louder stock exhaust. seems like the body panels are a little thin and can dent easily.

Very Impressed with the SRT8 (6M)
By Raszaron

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

This is the first Dodge or Chrysler vehicle that I have ever purchased, and all I can say is that I am VERY impressed! I have owned Ford and Chevy products, but Dodge got theirs right! The ride is smooth yet planted, but if you want to get squirrely just mash the accelerator. As for gas mileage, I typically get 12mpg in city, and 23mpg on the highway. But I didn't buy this car for it's gas mileage, I bought it for it's retro styling and performance. A throw back to the 70 Challenger, and Dodge didn't miss a beat with this car. Also the DriveSRT Experience that is included with purchase of any SRT, WICKED COOL!! This little perk allowed me to race all the SRT vehicles available in 09!

Favorite Features

6.1L Hemi rated at 425hp/425ftlbs... 6 speed manual transmission from the Viper... 3.92 rear gears (65mph = 1500rpm in 6th)... Traction control total and hybrid disabling feature... The bolstered leather/alcantara seats... 1970 Challenger exterior styling with modern comforts...

Suggested Improvements

Change out the Rams Head insignia on the steering wheel to something else, on SRT models, an SRT badge. Just looks generic when the rest of the car screams look at me!