Used 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 - Consumer Reviews

SRT8 6.1L V8 5-speed Automatic - (22 reviews )

Very Impressed with the SRT8 (6M)
By Raszaron

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

This is the first Dodge or Chrysler vehicle that I have ever purchased, and all I can say is that I am VERY impressed! I have owned Ford and Chevy products, but Dodge got theirs right! The ride is smooth yet planted, but if you want to get squirrely just mash the accelerator. As for gas mileage, I typically get 12mpg in city, and 23mpg on the highway. But I didn't buy this car for it's gas mileage, I bought it for it's retro styling and performance. A throw back to the 70 Challenger, and Dodge didn't miss a beat with this car. Also the DriveSRT Experience that is included with purchase of any SRT, WICKED COOL!! This little perk allowed me to race all the SRT vehicles available in 09!

6.1L Hemi rated at 425hp/425ftlbs... 6 speed manual transmission from the Viper... 3.92 rear gears (65mph = 1500rpm in 6th)... Traction control total and hybrid disabling feature... The bolstered leather/alcantara seats... 1970 Challenger exterior styling with modern comforts...

Change out the Rams Head insignia on the steering wheel to something else, on SRT models, an SRT badge. Just looks generic when the rest of the car screams look at me!

Torred SRT 6spd
By tbonesrt

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

The fun to drive factor on the SRT is off of the charts. Agressive driving on the streets does not challenge this car in the least. It is quiet at highway speed. At 75 mph (western States speed limit) It gets better gas mileage than than most 4 cyl. cars. It doesnt brake a sweat cruising at higher speeds. How many econo boxes can average 25 mpg at over 80 mph and do it all day with no issues. America has been fooled into believing that an econo box that gets 35 mpg on the highway will do that at high speeds. NOT!!!...Love this car.

Lots of trunk space, very comfortable to drive long distances. Very quiet on the highway. Lots of horsepower to play with. Corners very well. Handles bumpy roads extremely well. Stops on a dime and gives you change. Outstanding sound system, it will put the ricers to shame.

gremlins with sunroof operation. Too quiet on the exhaust note. Too heavy

Challenger SRT 8
By Tom Langston

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I previously was forced to sell my 1971 'Cuda. When I saw the Challenger SRT concept car, I thought that my car was reborn! Since I have owned this car, it has not disappointed me. It accelerates, handles, and brakes like no other car that I have owned. Its retro shape and Hemi-orange color turn heads every where I go.

Under 5 sec. 0-60 mph acceleration and fantastic retro styling. Dodge "hit a home run" on this car. The SRT Track Experience and 1-year free Sirus radio are nice bonuses.

The SRT auto. needs a louder exhaust and a fix for the intermittent working key fob. Also, Dodge should provide a spare tire rather than a tire pump and flat sealant.

First Muscle Car Owner
By Scott Caldwell

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

The 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 is an absolute BEAST!!! I was first drawn to the Challenger by its incredible retro- styling. The broad sholders and intimidating front grill (much different from any other Dodge grill pattern) just made this car stand out and grab your attention. Although the car looks great, what really sold me on the car was the way it drove. Once I sat behind the wheel and drove the SRT8 (with the 6 speed manual transmission) I was simply blown away. The car growled and rumbled with sheer power and accelerated like nothing I have ever driven before. The 6.1 Hemi with the 6 spd transmission convinced me that I would enjoy the Challenger for years to come.

the 6.1 Hemi and 6 speed transmission sells this car. The sheer acceleration and growl of the powerful engine is its best feature. The car's navigation and blue-tooth sync system is also very nice. Feels like a luxury car more than a rugged Muscle Car inside.

Gas mileage and an additional push to talk button for the bluetooth system on the sterring wheel are the only improvements I can think of for this car. Gas mileage is hard to improve without sacrificing the power that sells the car in the first place.

Close to Perfect
By BootCamp

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

Saw the Concept car in late 2006. Hadn't bought a new car since 1986 - nothing worth getting excited about - until I saw the Challenger. Ordered my SRT in March, got it in November. It was worth the wait. 6 speed is tight, limited slip 3.92 gearing is great. 425 HP from 370 cu in is better than the original 426 cu to hp ratio. Handles like a car half its weight. The styling is amazing. The Pacifica Studio folks did a great job! Hit the retro look nail on the head in every way! Can't go anywhere without someone wanting to chat about the car - and look under the hood. Huge trunk and back seats - compared to Mustang and Camaro. The car has been flawless under all conditions. AMAZING RIDE!

The styling, power, Kicker Audio System, fit and finish, GREAT bolstered seats (heated and embossed leather), comfort are ALL great! Best feature is how retro it looks. It;s like owning a classic '70's Challenger, but without the demand of regular repairs and adjustments. Just start it and GO!

Address the heat-related "keyless go" "fob not detected" problem. Change out the rear bushings to help with the "wheel hop" issues launching from a standing start on the 6 speeds. Ditch the 1st to 4th gear skip shift if theres a legal or financial way around it.