Used 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Challenger Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Challenger model:

fun car when it will start
By bsisco

2009 Dodge Challenger Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

beware, after a year of good reliability my car like many others has developed wireless ignition node issues.W.I.N module. Sometimes the car will start and run and other days it will not. It started this at 36000 miles. After weeks of online info browsing I've come to the conclusion that this issue is rarely resolved correctly at the dealers and is not an issue I can fix myself do the the complicated programming and tools needed to do the job. As for now, I pay a payment for a car that is no where near as reliable as my 2nd car...a 2000 mustang with over 200,000 trouble free miles on it. This is my first dodge product and clearly my last.

Looks and performance, but I have owned late model mustangs that are faster.

remove the keyless go system and win module so the car will start and run dependably like the millions of ford products on the roads today.

39 years later it was my turn
By smart_shopper

2009 Dodge Challenger Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

As a child in 1969 I went with my dad when he picked up a new 1970 Dodge Charger. I sat in an orange car that I later learned was a Challenger. I've owned a lot of cars over the years, including a new 1997 Trans AM WS-6, which is a beautiful car until you have to do any engine work. I can say the Challenger is arguably the best new car I've ever owned. It is huge, it's larger and weighs as much as my truck, a 1st gen 5.9L Durango, yet it gets almost 24 MPG on the Interstate. It has many bells & whistles never thought of in 1970, and it's the best looking retro muscle car in my opinion. Due to size and weight, it's not as fast as the smaller Camaro, but to each their own.

The styling and Hemi Orange paint did it for me. The 6 speed manual transmission was icing on the cake. The entire engine is accessible. One of my gripes in working on cars is the people that design them never have to work on them. The Challenger has a huge engine bay, and routine maintenance is fairly easy- just pull off the plastic cover underneath and you can access the oil filter and pan. I've added HD cooling to mine- the SRT2 radiator, a lower temp thermostat and fan control, and an oil cooler w/ thermostat from a Mazda RX-7. The car runs a lot cooler here in the South.

Do away with the skip-shift feature that locks out gears 2-3 under certain conditions, so people like me don't have to bypass it. I realize the skip-shift is more federal intrusiveness into how our cars are made, but maybe someday we can again build great cars in this country that people want to buy and drive (contrary to the Revolutionary War ad, the Challenger is made in Canada). The nav feature could be a little more user-friendly when trying to find a named business. I'm not a fan of wagon (huge diameter) wheels. The 18" wheels were plenty large, and my car came with 20" wheels. Rear visibility takes some getting use to. I added a camera over the license plate.

Best new generation muscle car
By gmtruckman

2009 Dodge Challenger Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Fantastic in every way. I have the track pack option with the 6 speed and larger rear differential. I ordered the car from dodge in 2008 and have had it for three years with only two tiny issues which are not even the fault of the vehicle. The keyless entry button had a short and the rt logo had the paint peel off on the grill. Otherwise awesome on gas for a v8and very comfortable...even room for cars seats for the kids. The shift linkage on the tremec is sloppy but I put in the hurst linkage and makes it good.

Looks, power, fuel economy, big trunk

Rear view mirror dimmer and a better stereo like the one on the art would be nice.

09 Challenger
By 2009 Challenger

2009 Dodge Challenger Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had my car for 2 years now with 33,000 miles and no problems. I have been real happy with the car and I'm happy with the fuel mileage. I don't know why some guys complain about the interior design, this is not a luxury car it is a muscle car.

Sound of the hemi, comfort, my wife loves the heated seats.

Need to see the turn signal light when it is on.

This car rocks
By powerman1960

2009 Dodge Challenger Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have always been a Chevy man, but, this Challenger sold me from the first test drive.It has been so much fun to drive and the looks and comfort can't be beat. The gas mileage of this R/T range from 19 all around to 25 mpg while on a 500 mile trip driving 70-75 in cruise mode. This car gets so many looks and thumbs ups from kids to the elderly.

The 5.7 engine 20" chrome wheels exterior looks interior seats (cloth), very comfortable

stiffen the front and rear bumper covers, they feel flimsy(as most do)