2009 Dodge Challenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Challenger model:
fun car when it will start
By bsisco on 11/02/12 18:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

beware, after a year of good reliability my car like many others has developed wireless ignition node issues.W.I.N module. Sometimes the car will start and run and other days it will not. It started this at 36000 miles. After weeks of online info browsing I've come to the conclusion that this issue is rarely resolved correctly at the dealers and is not an issue I can fix myself do the the complicated programming and tools needed to do the job. As for now, I pay a payment for a car that is no where near as reliable as my 2nd car...a 2000 mustang with over 200,000 trouble free miles on it. This is my first dodge product and clearly my last.

39 years later it was my turn
By smart_shopper on 11/11/11 07:55 AM (PST)

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

As a child in 1969 I went with my dad when he picked up a new 1970 Dodge Charger. I sat in an orange car that I later learned was a Challenger. I've owned a lot of cars over the years, including a new 1997 Trans AM WS-6, which is a beautiful car until you have to do any engine work. I can say the Challenger is arguably the best new car I've ever owned. It is huge, it's larger and weighs as much as my truck, a 1st gen 5.9L Durango, yet it gets almost 24 MPG on the Interstate. It has many bells & whistles never thought of in 1970, and it's the best looking retro muscle car in my opinion. Due to size and weight, it's not as fast as the smaller Camaro, but to each their own.

Best new generation muscle car
By gmtruckman on 09/08/11 17:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Fantastic in every way. I have the track pack option with the 6 speed and larger rear differential. I ordered the car from dodge in 2008 and have had it for three years with only two tiny issues which are not even the fault of the vehicle. The keyless entry button had a short and the rt logo had the paint peel off on the grill. Otherwise awesome on gas for a v8and very comfortable...even room for cars seats for the kids. The shift linkage on the tremec is sloppy but I put in the hurst linkage and makes it good.

09 Challenger
By 2009 Challenger on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had my car for 2 years now with 33,000 miles and no problems. I have been real happy with the car and I'm happy with the fuel mileage. I don't know why some guys complain about the interior design, this is not a luxury car it is a muscle car.

This car rocks
By powerman1960 on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have always been a Chevy man, but, this Challenger sold me from the first test drive.It has been so much fun to drive and the looks and comfort can't be beat. The gas mileage of this R/T range from 19 all around to 25 mpg while on a 500 mile trip driving 70-75 in cruise mode. This car gets so many looks and thumbs ups from kids to the elderly.

Back to the 60'S
By Challenger on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

As I have turned old with a good memory of days past, I decided to seek out a muscle (retro) car. out of the 3 offered in 2009 I selected the Dodge Challenger R/T, SWEET.

Fun to drive.
By Paul Andrew on 09/07/10 07:15 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have a Mercedes E320 Which I think is just as fun as my challenger. However, at speeds over 100 the challenger handles better is quieter and more responsive then the E 320. If I had a had to get rid of either car, it would be the Mercedes. The only thing bad about the challenger is it is not a family car. The back seat is hard to get into, but it is so much fun though, that the grand kids (ages 7,6,5) do not mind. My Grand children and I have so much fun, and it tickles them pink when I pick them up after school in my 2009 hemi orange challenger R/T. It is so much fun, My son now owns a 2010 B-5 blue Challenger R/T. Good enough?

Great Road Trip Car
By Moparfool on 09/03/10 15:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had my R/T since January 2009, and have just completed a 2700 mile road trip (August 2010). This is a great road car whether freeway cruising or on twisty roads in the Appalachian Mountains. And the car gets looks and comments wherever it goes. One good old boy came up to me at a Virginia Mickey D's and started telling me about his 1970 Challenger and how someone stole the 440 engine out of it. I have the automatic with the MDS and on this road trip got 23 miles per gallon in mostly freeway driving. The seats are very comfortable - good for driving 1000 miles in one day! Although my back gave notice not to do that too often.

Emotional Choice, But No Regrets
By veblenesque on 06/08/10 09:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was in the market for a manual transmission car to drive to work (I also have an older Boxster). I wanted something fun to drive and safe that provided some driving fun. I went to look at the new Mustang and found an 09 Challenger in the used lot. I drove both, and just couldn't shake the fact that the Challenger is just a better looking car that provides the perfect blend of retro muscle car thrills. Yes, it won't outhandle or outrun the mustang, but I smile every time I look at it and love listening to the sound of the engine and the smooth ride on my drive home. Navigation and bluetooth phone are much improved. Soft handling that still corners well when pushed. Love this car.

Silver Bullet
By Tony Skells on 04/05/10 09:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a new 1970 challenger se and kept it for 8 years until the family outgrew it. it was a great car and in the time i owned it i did nothing except do oil changes and tune ups. my 2009 rt is a better performing car than the original. i like the mds tranny as a gas saver. compared to ford and gm Chrysler got the retro challenger looking right. the fit and finish is a-one. my wife gets to drive it more than i do. she is a driver and loves the car. there are a lot of auto suppliers on line that have a lot of upgrade items for this car.since 2009 Chrysler has also put out a catalog of accessories.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Dodge Challenger in VA is:

$151 per month*