Used 2007 Dodge Caravan SXT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Powerful people hauler
By rotorbob

2007 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this red beauty used, it had 29000 miles on it and had been treated poorly: the left sliding door had obviously been damaged and crudely repaired. However, the 3.8 liter V-6 engine not only performed much better than the 3.3 V-6 I was used to in older Caravans I had owned, it got MUCH better mileage, over 25 mpg on a two day, 1500 mile round trip. The best I EVER got out of a 3.3 minivan was barely 20! Ride comfort is outstanding except for a noticeable, but not objectionable wind noise. All accessories work flawlessly. Who needs to drive 118 mph? I can but don't!

Stow and Go seating is great. This gives me enough storage space to load several 4X8 foot sheets of plywood in the back and get the liftgate closed! Rear heating and air are marvelous as is the dual climate controls for my wife and me. Our comfort zones are different and this makes life much easier on trips.

The body style. Yuk! Who likes driving a pregnant turtle? And the change in body style in 2008 didn't help much, either. Cruise the boulevard in a shoebox? Maybe for some, but not me. Why all the eurostyling?

Good Value
By hdvido

2007 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased van new. No issues under warranty. As per many users, the transmission shifts down like a jerking pig. But I'm told that this is re-programmable by the techs. Cabin noise due to road conditions is only for the poor of hearing.

Versatile interior. Comfortable seating.

Road noise needs much attention.

Poor Qaulity
By Ed

2007 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned 4 new mini-vans, and my current dodge 2007 gr Caravan SXT will be my last Chrysler product ever. As other comments, transmission shifts very hard from 2 to 1. Will need repaired or replaced eventually. Second, several bulletins are out on this van. Wheel bearing(back)rust easily which is a huge safety problem. They also have a chronic ABS sensor and system problem. Like the stow and go. Road noise is terrible! Am in the market for a Honda Odyssey. Will be my first foreign car. Can't deal with the poor quality and poor customer service anymore from Chrysler!

Stow and go

Quality control

Weird Transmission Downshift
By Tom

2007 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van new for my family needs. I have 27,000 miles on it now and have had no problems so far. The only complaint I have is the transmission downshifting from 2nd gear to 1st gear. It has a very hard downshift that is very noticable. If feels like I'm doing damage by driving it with this condition. I started noticing it around 800 miles and thought maybe it was just breaking itself in. I took it to the dealer and they said that they could find nothing wrong with it. I personally think that they don't want to acknowledge the problem. Other than the transmission, I really like the van.

Price, comfort...

Transmission hard downshifting

Great van
By Victor

2007 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Dodge Caravan, and my family and I love it. I had my first one for almost 12 years and almost 200K miles with minimal problems. This one has most of the bells and whistles and I got it for $22K; a steal. I have the 3.8L engine and it really is more than I needed, but because of the package, I had no choice over the engine size. The 3.3 is more than enough unless you are pulling a load. Reading some of the other posts I guess that I was lucky since I have had no problems whatsoever with this van. It has a smooth and quiet ride, pretty quiet interior, and extremely comfortable. The stow and go seats just made it better. Overall, a great family van suited for long trips.

The stow and go seats, powerful engine, smooth and stable ride, automatic doors, and the video and six-disk changer.

I would have loved to have the under seat storage bins and the one under the radio area. I had to buy an aftermarket middle storage console to make up this shortcoming. I did not care about the cheap speakers included with the system; I replaced all of them.