2006 Dodge Caravan Consumer Review: Flipper!

2006 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Review

Flipper!
By Josh R. on

2006 Dodge Caravan C/V 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this van as a work vehicle through my company for the past two years, and it's been a good little trooper. I neither baby my vehicles nor treat them especially rough, and though the fuel mileage isn't what I would like it to be, it's been very reliable and I enjoy driving it. It holds a LOT of cargo, has Stow-n-Go seating for passengers should I need to carry them, and handles better than I ever expected a minivan would. The 3.3L V6 is quiet and has decent torque, laboring only in 100-degree heat when the air is running full blast and you're trying to get up to freeway speed. It's comfortable too, though the seats need better hip and thigh support.

It's a perfect cargo hauler that is easy to drive and much easier to maneuver than a full-size cargo van. Comfortable interior that has held up very well over time. Good power from the V6/4spd auto. Excellent paint and structural strength - no squeaks or rattles even at 100k!

The same engine that I praise for its power and peaceful demeanor is also woefully fuel-inefficient. Chrysler needs to make major investments in its powertrains, because they can do better. A hybrid powertrain mated to the four-cylinder engine and a CVT would be wonderful in a cargo van like this!