Used 2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Ridiculous location for spare tire
By dcbpe

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan C/V 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I purchased our Caravan in 2008, and have had largely no problems with it. Then I came across the location of the spare tire. Putting the spare under the van under the front seats is the most asinine place I've ever seen for a spare tire. I was changing the tire in my driveway, on a nice day, and found it to be a most aggravating experience. I can only imagine how a person is supposed to do this while stopped on the side of the road in inclement weather. I am a licensed professional engineer, and I work on my cars. I am no novice. This system was designed by an imbecile, and he/she ought to be fired. I will never again by a car without checking where the spare is.

Favorite Features

stow and go seats

Suggested Improvements

MOVE THE SPARE TIRE TO THE REAR HATCH DOOR!

Flipper!
By Josh R.

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan C/V 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this van as a work vehicle through my company for the past two years, and it's been a good little trooper. I neither baby my vehicles nor treat them especially rough, and though the fuel mileage isn't what I would like it to be, it's been very reliable and I enjoy driving it. It holds a LOT of cargo, has Stow-n-Go seating for passengers should I need to carry them, and handles better than I ever expected a minivan would. The 3.3L V6 is quiet and has decent torque, laboring only in 100-degree heat when the air is running full blast and you're trying to get up to freeway speed. It's comfortable too, though the seats need better hip and thigh support.

Favorite Features

It's a perfect cargo hauler that is easy to drive and much easier to maneuver than a full-size cargo van. Comfortable interior that has held up very well over time. Good power from the V6/4spd auto. Excellent paint and structural strength - no squeaks or rattles even at 100k!

Suggested Improvements

The same engine that I praise for its power and peaceful demeanor is also woefully fuel-inefficient. Chrysler needs to make major investments in its powertrains, because they can do better. A hybrid powertrain mated to the four-cylinder engine and a CVT would be wonderful in a cargo van like this!

so far so good
By fordfan

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it as used at carmax. 2.4l engine. Kind of loud. Other than that everything is good. 20-22 combined mpg. Reliability is good for my 3 yrs ownership. Nothing broken down. Good value.

Favorite Features

price. ride.

Bad Experience
By Manny

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it used (10K miles). Currently 42K miles. Transmission broke down. Second 4-cylinder Caravan I own, same thing happened to first. Don't buy it! Transmission and 2.4, 4 Cyl engine NOT a good combination.

Suggested Improvements

Have Fiat redesign it and put Italian engines and transmissions on it, including a turbodiesel

2nd Caravan
By Bill Sparrow

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought a demo with 8k, 3.3 litre SE. Live 80 km north of Winnipeg so almost all hwy use. Have over 50k, not a single problem, get 9 litres/100km, hwy (31 mpg Imperial, 26 US). Took out the back seats and put in a hinged bed for camping. This is my 2nd Chrysler mini-van; 1st a Plymouth w/ 3 litre engine. Did 110k on that one with only tires, brake pads and battery required. Paid $18,000.00 for Caravan, Sienna would have been almost double. Looking forward to the plug- in hybrid model. Can't understand why some say they only get 16 hwy; these vans are made on an assembly line; should be fairly consistent. I baby my vehicles, so may be a connection there. Keep oil and air filter clean. Tnx.

Favorite Features

I don't buy a vehicle for frills so if professional reviewers want to find fault with trim, all I can say is "Get a life"; this van is functional, reliable and relatively inexpensive.

Suggested Improvements

Only complaint is that you have to duck your head a little getting into the front seats - no big deal though.