Used 2006 Dodge Caravan SXT Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Lemon of the Year Dodge Caravan SXT 2006
By Bart Tur

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Major problems with the braking system. Axel failed at 14k. Rack & Pinion failed 23k. 5 Alternators replaced last 9 years. Major engine problems, water pump 38k, head light cheaply made. Poor Fuel. Transmission failed 59k, Radiator replaced 61k. Great for taking kids to the park but after extended warranty expires you need a bank. Thank you Chrysler. These van have braking issue due to bad clapier pin not retracking. One final note, The heater cores are known to fail around 100k. My van is currently 95,. Never will I buy a DODGE /CHRYSLER. I am done. Close up shop guys.

Mechanical Lemon, Regret Buying
By chrzanow

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a LEMON. 70,000 miles entire navigation and panel unit failed. 100,000 miles alternator died, transmission aux unit blew out, radiator failed, lots of oil leaks. 120,000 miles another alternator died, retractable doors fail, plastic parts on stow and go seats failed causing seat frame to not stow, cooling system leaking, and now warning lights keep coming on and off (ABS, airbag, etc) for no reason. This car is junk. I will NEVER buy a Dodge product again. I should have learned with my 1998 Caravan. That carís transmission blew out at 100,000. Now at 150,000 the computer keeps dying and not allowing the car to start.

Interior style is nice.

Improve design quality. Stop making a car that will nickle and dime me to death.

5 Year Review
By joegiant

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Have had "Bonnie" now for 5 years. #1 thing about the van - value. Bought new and Chysler was giving these away at the time so I thought I'd take one since we needed the "family vehicle" for kids sports etc. etc. As noted on Edmunds reliability rating, our SXT 3.3L did in fact have the water pump go at 45k. The rack and pinion steering was replaced within the first year of ownership. Aside from regular maintenance, that's about it. Currently 71k on the odometer. Will admit, for a lower hp'ed V6, not real good on gas. 21mpg all around I'm guessing, lil' better on the hwy but nowhere near the sticker 26 mpg. Very comfortable ride IMHO. American made (Fenton, MO) which is hard to find today.

Cheap price from the get-go considering the utility of the thing. Shorter size fits nicely in our packed garage. Nice having it inside, shutting garage door and still having room to lift tailgate. Longer version wouldn't work in this regard.

Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage needs to improve. Has the right features for the pricepoint overall but with prices at the pump being what they are these days, newer vans need to improve in this regard.

Very good vehicle
By CassM

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Very few problems at 39,000 miles. All minor. Great ride. Cant complain, after 3.5 years. I expected much worse, from reading 'expert' reviews before I bought the vehicle.

None.

Not, so good
By gavalladares

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is not a real good car, I thought It will start to break down after five years of the date was built. I got a 2006 and it's down already. I had 14 months since I got it, and I'm disappointed with it. I believe the problem I got now it has to do with the ignition coil, the other problem, I had it with the "check engine" light, The mechanic said it was the catalytic converter. The paint job is not very good, the back seat is uncomfortable, the interior materials used are cheap. The engine lacks torque. You can't expect more of it. You have to drive it with care. The back seats are uncomfortable.

It has a good style, the front seats are comfortable, especially with the arm rest

Better engine, better fuel performance, better interior materials, better paint job.