2006 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
low repair costs
By bart25 on 11/25/11 01:42 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

its not the most reliable, but its cheap to fix, if you're a do-it-yourselfer and make the repairs yourself its the best you can own, parts are dirt cheap for the Caravan

am so glad i traded this for a honda!
By caris75 on 02/04/11 13:15 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

so i got the base SE when it was new for a good price--very basic, meaning roll your own windows down, no keyless entry etc.. power was so-so for regular town driving and terrible on the highway, noisy and no pickup!so car was ok for about 50k then we saw oil leaking all over our driveway! it neede towing to a garage and a 3K repair (crankshaft). luckily we had an extended warranty--but we still paid almost 500 dollars and had a rental car for a week. after this experience and not being so thrilled w/ the car we just traded it for a preowned Odyssey (ironically of the same year). what a difference! the odyssey so far is awesome, i would advise anyone to avoid any all caravans...

so far so good
By fordfan on 11/10/09 16:51 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it as used at carmax. 2.4l engine. Kind of loud. Other than that everything is good. 20-22 combined mpg. Reliability is good for my 3 yrs ownership. Nothing broken down. Good value.

Bad Experience
By Manny on 10/11/09 08:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it used (10K miles). Currently 42K miles. Transmission broke down. Second 4-cylinder Caravan I own, same thing happened to first. Don't buy it! Transmission and 2.4, 4 Cyl engine NOT a good combination.

2nd Caravan
By Bill Sparrow on 10/07/09 20:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought a demo with 8k, 3.3 litre SE. Live 80 km north of Winnipeg so almost all hwy use. Have over 50k, not a single problem, get 9 litres/100km, hwy (31 mpg Imperial, 26 US). Took out the back seats and put in a hinged bed for camping. This is my 2nd Chrysler mini-van; 1st a Plymouth w/ 3 litre engine. Did 110k on that one with only tires, brake pads and battery required. Paid $18,000.00 for Caravan, Sienna would have been almost double. Looking forward to the plug- in hybrid model. Can't understand why some say they only get 16 hwy; these vans are made on an assembly line; should be fairly consistent. I baby my vehicles, so may be a connection there. Keep oil and air filter clean. Tnx.

2006 Dodge Caravan
By al p on 04/19/09 21:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Second minivan I have had from Chrysler - bought it used with 28k kms (19000 miles). Quality seems good but mileage is terrible -3.3 litre is averaging 12 mpg in city and 16mpg on highway ( have translated to US gallons). It has been back to dealer who changed sensor but still the same - they just shrugged when I told them unacceptable. Van is not being driven fast nor rough. HWY is 60-65 mph. Mileage is no comparison to previous 1993 Caravan 3.3 litre.

Stay Away
By Annoyed on 01/13/09 01:53 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

At 12000 miles front rotors needed replaced under warranty (had to fight with Chrysler for this). Done again at 30000 miles not under warranty. At 30000 catalytic converter replaced also under warranty. At 43500 engine needs replaced. Dealer says the crankshaft thrust bearing went bad. The crankshaft walked and took out the front seal. Engine started leaking oil. 2006 the only warranty was 3 years/36000 miles. No warranty on engine replacement. These motors are garbage. They are will not hold up in a Caravan.

After 1.5 years
By Carlos on 01/23/08 21:19 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Reliable and build quality like a Lexus. Well put together, no problems, no leaks, nothing has broken or fallen- off. Never less than 20.5 mpg with my V- 6.

Sounds like a bird
By sad on 06/14/06 04:44 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I got this van in November it had 6 miles on it. Brand new! And the bird noise started then. I thought it was just the newness and would stop after I drove it a while. But, it didn't. I've had it in the shop just about every month. They have replaced the belt and have put on a new pully, they even used duck tape (that worked for a while..longer than anything). I don't like the looks from people as I drive down the road. I do like my van I just don't want the noise. It's going back to the dealer today to see what they think. I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Great mini van
By bobby&sharon on 01/09/06 22:14 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

we bought this van about 1 week ago and we love it. Fuel economy is great, good ride, good room, beautiful red outside. I feel it will be a good van for a long time.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.