2006 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Mechanical Lemon, Regret Buying
By chrzanow on 01/05/12 11:57 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a LEMON. 70,000 miles entire navigation and panel unit failed. 100,000 miles alternator died, transmission aux unit blew out, radiator failed, lots of oil leaks. 120,000 miles another alternator died, retractable doors fail, plastic parts on stow and go seats failed causing seat frame to not stow, cooling system leaking, and now warning lights keep coming on and off (ABS, airbag, etc) for no reason. This car is junk. I will NEVER buy a Dodge product again. I should have learned with my 1998 Caravan. That carís transmission blew out at 100,000. Now at 150,000 the computer keeps dying and not allowing the car to start.

low repair costs
By bart25 on 11/25/11 01:42 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

its not the most reliable, but its cheap to fix, if you're a do-it-yourselfer and make the repairs yourself its the best you can own, parts are dirt cheap for the Caravan

5 Year Review
By joegiant on 09/28/11 07:21 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Have had "Bonnie" now for 5 years. #1 thing about the van - value. Bought new and Chysler was giving these away at the time so I thought I'd take one since we needed the "family vehicle" for kids sports etc. etc. As noted on Edmunds reliability rating, our SXT 3.3L did in fact have the water pump go at 45k. The rack and pinion steering was replaced within the first year of ownership. Aside from regular maintenance, that's about it. Currently 71k on the odometer. Will admit, for a lower hp'ed V6, not real good on gas. 21mpg all around I'm guessing, lil' better on the hwy but nowhere near the sticker 26 mpg. Very comfortable ride IMHO. American made (Fenton, MO) which is hard to find today.

am so glad i traded this for a honda!
By caris75 on 02/04/11 13:15 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

so i got the base SE when it was new for a good price--very basic, meaning roll your own windows down, no keyless entry etc.. power was so-so for regular town driving and terrible on the highway, noisy and no pickup!so car was ok for about 50k then we saw oil leaking all over our driveway! it neede towing to a garage and a 3K repair (crankshaft). luckily we had an extended warranty--but we still paid almost 500 dollars and had a rental car for a week. after this experience and not being so thrilled w/ the car we just traded it for a preowned Odyssey (ironically of the same year). what a difference! the odyssey so far is awesome, i would advise anyone to avoid any all caravans...

Lemon
By fedupowner on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan C/V 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This car should be called the Dodge Random; everything simply works randomly. Doors, windows, locks, engine - you never know from day to day when things will work. Expensive repairs to make them work are only temporary. Scary to roll a window down not knowing if you will ever get it up, or even if the van will start. Many many problems with this van - please do not invest your money here!

Ridiculous location for spare tire
By dcbpe on 05/10/10 10:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan C/V 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I purchased our Caravan in 2008, and have had largely no problems with it. Then I came across the location of the spare tire. Putting the spare under the van under the front seats is the most asinine place I've ever seen for a spare tire. I was changing the tire in my driveway, on a nice day, and found it to be a most aggravating experience. I can only imagine how a person is supposed to do this while stopped on the side of the road in inclement weather. I am a licensed professional engineer, and I work on my cars. I am no novice. This system was designed by an imbecile, and he/she ought to be fired. I will never again by a car without checking where the spare is.

Flipper!
By Josh R. on 11/30/09 19:52 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan C/V 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this van as a work vehicle through my company for the past two years, and it's been a good little trooper. I neither baby my vehicles nor treat them especially rough, and though the fuel mileage isn't what I would like it to be, it's been very reliable and I enjoy driving it. It holds a LOT of cargo, has Stow-n-Go seating for passengers should I need to carry them, and handles better than I ever expected a minivan would. The 3.3L V6 is quiet and has decent torque, laboring only in 100-degree heat when the air is running full blast and you're trying to get up to freeway speed. It's comfortable too, though the seats need better hip and thigh support.

so far so good
By fordfan on 11/10/09 16:51 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it as used at carmax. 2.4l engine. Kind of loud. Other than that everything is good. 20-22 combined mpg. Reliability is good for my 3 yrs ownership. Nothing broken down. Good value.

Bad Experience
By Manny on 10/11/09 08:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it used (10K miles). Currently 42K miles. Transmission broke down. Second 4-cylinder Caravan I own, same thing happened to first. Don't buy it! Transmission and 2.4, 4 Cyl engine NOT a good combination.

2nd Caravan
By Bill Sparrow on 10/07/09 20:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought a demo with 8k, 3.3 litre SE. Live 80 km north of Winnipeg so almost all hwy use. Have over 50k, not a single problem, get 9 litres/100km, hwy (31 mpg Imperial, 26 US). Took out the back seats and put in a hinged bed for camping. This is my 2nd Chrysler mini-van; 1st a Plymouth w/ 3 litre engine. Did 110k on that one with only tires, brake pads and battery required. Paid $18,000.00 for Caravan, Sienna would have been almost double. Looking forward to the plug- in hybrid model. Can't understand why some say they only get 16 hwy; these vans are made on an assembly line; should be fairly consistent. I baby my vehicles, so may be a connection there. Keep oil and air filter clean. Tnx.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.