Used 2005 Dodge Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

High miles.
By JD

2005 Dodge Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 5th Caravan. I drive 50,000 miles a year. Just passed 107,000 miles. Had no problems untill 75,000 miles, then several small problems with egr valve and vaccum pump. At 105,000 miles the transmission valve unit went bad, that and the 100,000 mile maintenance items + brakes, rotors, sway bars and tires cost me $3,000. The 3.3 liter engine is holding up well. tires lasted 105,000 miles without being aligned, or balanced.

Favorite Features

For the price I think the power, ride, interior comfort, room, noise levels, stereo ect. are good. My mileage averages about 23,mpg.

Suggested Improvements

50/50 rear seat uncomfortable for center passenger. every caravan I've had needed some type of transmission work between 100,000 and 135,000 miles, I wish they were more reliable.

I like it
By Edvanp

2005 Dodge Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Went from a Pontiac Montana into the SXT minivan. Love the stow/go seating. The engine is smooth with good performance over the Montana. The back bench is uncomfortable for long rides, or so my kids tell me. Good storage room. We have had it in for a couple of electronic glitches that have been covered under warranty. My main worry is the tranny as this seems to be the knock on these vehicles, but there hasn't been anything wrong with it yet. The radio/speakers could be better. We avg 22 mpg in mixed driving, 26 on the highway. Overall, we are happy with it to date (2 years & 33k miles).

Favorite Features

Stow/Go seating

Suggested Improvements

Better radio/sound

Problems with front end
By Chuck in IOWA

2005 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Was enjoying our van, when after less then 30,000 miles had to have bushings in front axle area replaced. Now, 25,000 miles later need to have them replaced again. Service dept. said company was using a different material on the bushings and wasn't a high enough quality. I have a brother with a Grand Caravan and he's experiencing the same issue. Always have had trouble with Dodge/Chrysler front ends, including a Stratus we had in 1995. Probably won't buy anymore Dodge/Chrysler products.

Favorite Features

Comfort, space

Suggested Improvements

Sturdier bushings.

Just a nice vehicle
By Bud in Fla

2005 Dodge Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle for about 7 months now. It is just a very practical, easy to drive vehicle. It is great to haul a lot of people, and the stow and go seating is amazing. We bought the vehicle because we only have one vehicle now that we have retired, and this one can haul a bunch of stuff and then convert and we can drive 6 or 7 people to dinner. Love the nav system. The only complaint I have is the front cup holders. They could have done a much better job on those. I would love for it to get a little better gas mileage, but the big six does perform well. Looked at the Honda and Kia and bought this one much cheaper. Would love for them to add roll down windows for the 2nd row passengers

Favorite Features

Stow and go seating! A real bonus after owning a minivan with regular seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders for the front. Roll down windows for the 2nd row passengers. Better center counsol.

Great Van, Quite Smooth and Reliable
By tiger850

2005 Dodge Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We have had no problems with our 2005 SXT. It gets great mileage, 25- 26MPG on hwy. Love the power driver seat, and all the features for a van we paid only $19250 for! Rest of seats are good since it is not the stow and go lousy seating. Radio treble and bass controls don't do much. It could use a better radio/speakers. Van looks great too. Best feature, zero problems so far. Great value, enjoy the van very much.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfortable seats. Quiet and very reliable

Suggested Improvements

Radio treble bass controls along with radio clarity isn't the best.