2005 Dodge Caravan Consumer Reviews 3

2005 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
the good, bad and ugly
By Jeremy on 03/22/08 18:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

The stow and go is great. There is very good room for our family of five. It is the most economical vehicle in it's class. The power doors are a nice feature. The bad are: Had glitch in transmission, scared me into purchasing an extended warranty. New brakes after 30K miles. Key fob & PL doors failed @ about 45K miles paid dealership to flash computer again ($140) which I felt should be warranty issue. Ugly: replaced the front end bushings & rods @ 51K miles ($420)(dealership says is common issue). replaced passenger power sliding side module ($350). driver side cable and motor ($500). not good for a 3 yr old vehicle....

A few issues
By t.glacy on 12/01/07 07:35 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Caravan has 46,000 miles so far. I have already had to replace one sensor (covered by warranty at 30,000). Just took car in for inspection and was told rack & pinion was leaking and repair will be approx $1,000! I am also having issues with check engine light again. Service dept. said it was a different sensor than the last one and needs to be replaced (upstream 02 sensor). Was also told breaks will need replacing soon. Overall I am OK with this vehicle, but getting hit with such high cost repairs so early on is not impressing me to buy another in the future.

I wouldn't buy another
By Russell on 11/06/07 17:41 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

The 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT seemed to be a nicer car then our '97 Rally and we really liked the stow-n- go seats. However, that's where it ends. We have to put front brakes on it every 12,000 mi. we got 29,000 mi. on the '97 and I got 72,000 miles out of the front brakes on my 2001 Suburban. Electrical sensors are still a major problem, we have had several failures. The transmission control card went, the side electric doors have been repaired several times and still don't work well. We can't get the brake dust off the front aluminum wheels so they always look like crap. It needed a tune up after only 34,000 mi.. In short, this car is high maintenance! I wouldn't buy another!

I'm in love with this van.
By jimpeggy2 on 09/21/07 09:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Of all the cars/trucks I have owned in my life, this van is by far my favorite. My kids are over the moon for it. It is comfortable beyond belief. Reliable. Easy to drive and park. Your really feel safe while driving this vehicle. The mileage is fair, but it is a large engine and a heavy machine, so it makes sense that the mileage is what it is. Don't let that sway you. The stow and go seats are a dream and a piece of cake to use. The driver controls are a wonderful and easy to use as well. Drive it in good health and enjoy.

Mom mobile
By kayadento on 04/02/07 17:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Very dependable and reliable. No problems ever. Not so cool to drive though. It is a mom mobile. My kids are getting older and think it is a loser cruiser. It is a great automobile for older couples and people with young kids.

High miles.
By JD on 02/06/07 20:23 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 5th Caravan. I drive 50,000 miles a year. Just passed 107,000 miles. Had no problems untill 75,000 miles, then several small problems with egr valve and vaccum pump. At 105,000 miles the transmission valve unit went bad, that and the 100,000 mile maintenance items + brakes, rotors, sway bars and tires cost me $3,000. The 3.3 liter engine is holding up well. tires lasted 105,000 miles without being aligned, or balanced.

I like it
By Edvanp on 11/29/06 11:10 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Went from a Pontiac Montana into the SXT minivan. Love the stow/go seating. The engine is smooth with good performance over the Montana. The back bench is uncomfortable for long rides, or so my kids tell me. Good storage room. We have had it in for a couple of electronic glitches that have been covered under warranty. My main worry is the tranny as this seems to be the knock on these vehicles, but there hasn't been anything wrong with it yet. The radio/speakers could be better. We avg 22 mpg in mixed driving, 26 on the highway. Overall, we are happy with it to date (2 years & 33k miles).

Problems with front end
By Chuck in IOWA on 11/14/06 10:41 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Was enjoying our van, when after less then 30,000 miles had to have bushings in front axle area replaced. Now, 25,000 miles later need to have them replaced again. Service dept. said company was using a different material on the bushings and wasn't a high enough quality. I have a brother with a Grand Caravan and he's experiencing the same issue. Always have had trouble with Dodge/Chrysler front ends, including a Stratus we had in 1995. Probably won't buy anymore Dodge/Chrysler products.

Just a nice vehicle
By Bud in Fla on 10/18/06 12:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle for about 7 months now. It is just a very practical, easy to drive vehicle. It is great to haul a lot of people, and the stow and go seating is amazing. We bought the vehicle because we only have one vehicle now that we have retired, and this one can haul a bunch of stuff and then convert and we can drive 6 or 7 people to dinner. Love the nav system. The only complaint I have is the front cup holders. They could have done a much better job on those. I would love for it to get a little better gas mileage, but the big six does perform well. Looked at the Honda and Kia and bought this one much cheaper. Would love for them to add roll down windows for the 2nd row passengers

Great Van, Quite Smooth and Reliable
By tiger850 on 10/06/06 20:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We have had no problems with our 2005 SXT. It gets great mileage, 25- 26MPG on hwy. Love the power driver seat, and all the features for a van we paid only $19250 for! Rest of seats are good since it is not the stow and go lousy seating. Radio treble and bass controls don't do much. It could use a better radio/speakers. Van looks great too. Best feature, zero problems so far. Great value, enjoy the van very much.