2005 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Would not recommend
By Ruth on 01/28/10 15:52 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Caravan CV 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I really needed a vehicle and preferred a van due to all the running around I had to do. However, buyer beware. Was not aware that Dodge still built 2.2L size engines. MY MISTAKE. What a piece of crap. Brakes have had to be replaced 3 times. The drums rotated, the shocks are bad (off the lot) the transmission modulator evidently doesn't last more than 28,000 miles and on our second one. Airbags didn't deploy when we hit a deer and had almost 6,000 dollars damage - otherwise we would have been able to total it. Heater doesn't work all the time. The dealer even sold me a bogus warranty. Again women... be aware when buying your own vehicle for the first time. Take someone who knows. Avoid DODGE

very good bargain
By navy jim on 12/18/09 08:50 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I reviewed this vehicle in early 2005. Now have 69,000 miles and nearly 5 years later on this vehicle. I am just as impressed with it as I was then. Normal maintenance is all that's been required. Get 23 to 25 miles on the highway and 21 in town. I am more than pleased with it in all aspects. It's been a cheap, dependable, fun car to drive. I take good care of it and maintain it regularly.

Great Van
By Dodger on 10/03/09 20:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have 80,000 miles on my minivan and the only repair so far has been an EGR valve and one tune up and brakes. We completely filled the van when we took a trip to South Carolina with five passengers and all the luggage and the van still got 27 miles to the gallon with the 3.3 motor and the air - conditioner on for the entire ride! We also had plenty of room and everyone was comfortable for the entire ride. Buy this van, you won't be disappointed.

Comfortable ride
By Ron on 08/20/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new in May 05, now has 36,400 miles. Only have changed the oil, same battery and brakes. Have not replaced or repaired anything. Comfortable seats and a quite comfortable ride. Average 27 MPG highway on the 3.3 engine which is very quite. Test drove a Honda van and it was not as comfortable as the Dodge.

Buy a solution, not a Chrysler
By Rudy on 07/31/09 12:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After 15,000 miles spark plugs, air bag, injectors, brakes (pads and rotors), air bag again, power steering leaks, noisy engine belts, cv joints, sliding doors don’t close properly, so we can feel air coming thru doors rubber seals but, the worst one is that after 4 months trying to get a roof paint warranty thru Chrysler customer service they told me: Chrysler won’t participate in this repair.

Not Happy after 3 years
By Ken on 02/12/09 07:09 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

At first I like our minivan. Some things are cheaply made like the seat covering. But it rode nice for 2 years. Then the sway bar links went and had them replaced but that didn't fix the noise that I hear still. My mechanic said the problem is with bushings on the sway bar and costly to repair. Now the transmission is going. After 67K miles I should have these kinds of problems. So overall I'm not happy with my Caravan

Never again
By anthony on 01/28/09 14:39 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our 2005 Dodge Caravan has about 52,000 miles on it now. What's wrong with it? Transmission slips in reverse and the rack and pinion leaks on the pasenger side. Lucky for us this is covered under our extended warranty. Right side front impact sensor bad, right tie rod end bad, and the sway bar bushings are bad. Not covered under warranty. The dealer wanted $900 to fix the three problems. I told them no I would do the repairs myself. Well $12 for sway bar bushings, $35 for tie rod end and $35 for impact sensor. it took about 1.5 hours to do it. Anyway this van is not built very good. Driving thru little mountains in Arkansas and we getting passed by a Geo. Trust me don't buy a Dodge

2 catastrophic failures in 3 years.
By Jerry on 10/14/08 14:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I just had to rebuild the tranny with 68,000 miles on it. Tranny failure was catastrophic while driving in the left lane of a highway. 1-1/2 years ago had to have the front drive train replaced. 1 electric slide door does not work At least 3 recalls on this year of Caravan. Won't ever buy another Dodge.

Miss my Town and Country
By randy on 07/26/08 21:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

What a piece of junk. Brakes already replaced twice in less than 2 years, replaced all coolant hoses as they have rotted out. Gas mileage only 18 in city, and if we are real careful 22 on highway. Noisy and uncomfortable ride, cup holders a pain to adjust in front. We have said many times going from the Town and Country to this is like going from a Cadillac to a Chevette. Can't wait to get rid of it. Never again Dodge, or should I say "Dodge it."

mini man van
By the hills on 03/31/08 18:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I was a man trapped in a woman's vehicle. Now I have become a man in a mini van and love every mile of it! This van has been fuel efficient (27+ on trips) comfortable (5 in the family) useful (Sto and Go baby!)and has me convinced that I made the right purchase. Power slider doors are wonderful. This van is as comfortable to drive as many high dollar import cars. Men don't be scared! Embrace this mini-man van! We did have a few bumps at the beginning, that were easily handled under warranty. Dealership was excellent and on the ball.