Used 2004 Dodge Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Good basic family hauler
By Landric

2004 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle used about six months ago. I discovered the day before my twin sons were born that I could not fit a car seat behind the driver's seat in my Toyota Matrix and still drive it comfortably. I couldn't afford a new van right then, but I needed something I could fit car seats in and still drive. I have the base SE with the 4-cylinder, AC, & CD Player. The only option it has are the side airbags. So far no break downs, though sometimes the transmission behaves strangely when the heater is on, shifting erratically. It's only happened a couple of times, but its disconcerting. I just bought a new 2009 Kia Sedona at a hefty discount, so the Caravan is now around town only.

Favorite Features

Highway gas mileage with the 4 cylinder is better than expected, usually between 26 and 28 mpg. Excellent visibility, well thought out interior, roomy feel even with the short wheelbase. Cheap looking black bumpers don't look nearly as bad with the dark blue paint.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage around town is pretty bad, sometimes as low as 15 mpg since the 3 cylinder has to work a lot harder then when cruising on the highway. Cruise control and power locks/keyless entry should be standard on any family hauler. I can live without the power windows and mirrors.

NEED TO DUMP MY DODGE!
By netraluv96

2004 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have not liked this van since the purchase and I am now in great need to get rid of it. I have replaced the brakes once and they are in need of repair in only a year and a half of wear. I have replaced the spark plugs and now the car is doing this weird thing when you turn the AC on the engine starts stuttering and at times will cut off. The seat belts do not fit my kids car seats and I do not feel that they have a top notch car for safety to travel in. The body is not very sturdy. I do not recommend this van to anyone.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger body, better seating and saftey for kids.

Don't buy it
By worst van ever

2004 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

i live in Puerto Rico and I have spend more than 5,000 dollars in it. It still gives me problems. I really don't know why people say they love it because mine has been really bad.

Favorite Features

Never buy it...

Suggested Improvements

Never buy it...

Unhappy Consumer
By Unhappy customer

2004 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I am overjoyed today as I just traded in my mini-van (at a loss of 4500) for another vehicle. I had the van for 2 years and in that time had the brakes replaced twice and now the power steering was going out on it. Spark plugs had to be replaced twice and the vehicle just did not drive very well at all. The cloth interior was not very kid friendly. The mileage was okay. I was also concerned about the vehicle breaking down. The seatbelts never fit my children"s booster seats very securely.

Favorite Features

Roomy vehicle for the money. Ok on gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Bulid a more reliable vehicle. Spark plugs and brakes twice in 2 years? I have never had these problems with any other vehicle. Better child restraint system.

Happy with my van
By cie

2004 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

So far I am totally satisfied with my van. The only problem I have had thus far was about 2.5 months after I bought the car it started cutting off on me so I took it in and they said that it was my spark plugs I donít know why after that short period of time that a new car would have that problem but it did it was fixed of course with no charge to me and the tires I think I have cheap tires but I can buy new one but all in all I love my mini van it seats all 6 of us comfortably

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the fact I can take out the seats it has helped me move big thing where otherwise I would have had to pay someone to deliver to me

Suggested Improvements

Improvements which they have done is to make it easier to remove those heavy seats now they have the minivan where the seats go under instead of having to take the seats out of the car that would be the only improvement I would want on my van