2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Stalling and not starting
By trek01 on 03/22/09 15:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My vehicle has 83000 miles and is not over five years old. It just recently stalled while driving on the highway for about an hour. It would start but die again. Let it cool down some minute and would drive a little bit and stall again. After letting it sit for a day, it would not stall while sitting idle or driving around town. These situation did not happen to me but family members. When I finally was able to test the vehicle with the above mentioned problem, I discovered the stalling problem is caused by a bad "Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction", P0725 trouble code. You needed to go highway speeds for stalling not idle. Also, the starter goes in the 6th year.

Good results
By viper81149 on 01/05/09 13:30 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We have had a van since 1993 and this is the most reliable one we have owned. Good results. Plenty of power. A couple of problems that were covered by warranty but nothing major. No issues with engine or transmission. Rear brake cylinder had small leak at 60,000 miles and was replaced but other than that, no significant problems.

Good Value, Looks Like a Keeper.
By Siyu 28 on 10/17/08 23:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Thousands less than the Odyssey & Sienna, this was the choice. With kids, saving thousands to have it trashed was worth it. SXT package had aluminum rims, capt. chairs & tinted glass, that was all was needed. Rides & handles very well & decent gas mileage. Interior a little cheesy, but who cares, everything was functional. Had an early minor steering recall & had a rack & pinion leak at 30K. Back row difficult to take out/in. All in all a decent van that I'll probably keep til it (knock on wood). Unfortunately, these vehicles don't hold or have any value over time. If I get over 100K on it, I will consider it a bonus. Sadly, this is probably Dodge's top vehicle, a van, but it's a keeper!

Love my Caravan
By Sue B on 08/10/08 07:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 1988 Plymouth Voyager I bought new and just loved it so I bought this 2003 Caravan. Love it as well. I'm short 5'2", and I sit very comfortably and can handle this very well. It steers precisely and is very easy to park. Easier than my Honda Accord I traded for this. It is a lot quieter than my Honda's have been. I would of tried a Honda van, but they were too expensive and I'm trying to lower my debts. The Van looks sporty as well. Nice wheels. My mom has a caravan and loves it too.

My best vehicle ever
By Marcel on 06/08/08 17:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Drives with great comfort with ease. Not really much more to say. I love it. My wife has a Sebring and we love it too.

Great Van, Better than Honda & Toyota
By Tim Jessup on 06/08/08 13:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have 45,000 miles of trouble-free miles on this van. Own a 1985 Voyager with 199,000 miles (still have original alternator and most other original components in the 2.2 L engine) and a 1995 Caravan with 140,000 miles (only replaced AC compressor in 12 years). Get over 27 mpg on trips (using Mobil I motor oil. Get 18-20 mpg around town. Gotten better service than coworker who has a 2002 Honda Oddysey and has had transmission, breaks, and AC problems, already with barely 50,000 miles (so much for Honda quality!). Acceleration is smooth and runs well and regular grade gas, unlike many imports. Our van also runs on E85 fuel, though this is not available in our area. I recommend highly for you

Electrical Nightmare
By Ali on 02/20/07 18:07 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Caravan brand new and within 2 months of owning it I started having problems. It won't start if the temperature outside is below 30 (dealership can't find problem), I have already had to have driver's side and passenger side windows fixed (they wouldn't roll down), had to have cabin lights fixed twice (first they wouldn't come on and then they wouldn't shut off), and still sometimes when I am driving all the alarms lights and cabin lights come on for no reason and then just back off after a few minutes. This was a replacement for the first 2003 Caravan I originally purchased that exhibited the same problems! Two electrical nightmares in a row!

Nice when new
By hertze on 01/30/07 08:56 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Wife wanted a minivan and we settled on a Caravan SXT. It was fine when it was new but many little issues have cropped up. One power door lock doesn't work, annoying whine from the power steering, clunky sounds from the rear suspension started with only about 38Km miles on it. One side of the windshield washer will not spray fluid, left blinker will not cancel itself etc. Brought to dealer with several of these issues when still under warranty and they supposedly could not find any issues. Poor service. I have also owned a Dodge truck and a Jeep Grand Cherokee and had no issues with either of them. Seemed to be better built. May be a good used buy due to poor resale.

Comfort Ride
By Dodge Caravan SE on 06/18/06 22:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We love the comfort of our Dodge Caravan. The van's seats were extremely comfortable on a 2500 mile trip we took out west. This is our second Dodge Caravan SE.

A Bargin for the Price
By Hpedigo on 08/30/05 16:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a rock solid piece of machinery. Reliable and very dependable. Now has 39,000 miles and only failure has been the CD player which was warrantied.