2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Great vehicle
By miller1980 on 02/12/14 12:52 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I got my caravan at 78,000 miles I've only had a couple problems since owning the car. First the O2 sensor went out (kind of an expensive fix for a single mom) and the power steering pump is going out. Other than that it has been a gem. I've driven it in the snow and curvy mountain roads for two years with no issues. The car is now at 130,000 miles and still running even after hitting a deer really hard.

POOR QUALITY
By lyndaw1 on 05/10/13 17:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Everyone on here talks about how great there van is. Mine is a piece of junk. The automatic side doors do not open. The a/c has been broke for over a year. The automatic trunk door doesn't open. The driver side door for the passenger doesn't open up for my daughter to get out now. Now the transmission is starting to slip. Should I go on with the problems??? We bought this van for something reliable not for something that would break down. The van has been a big disappointment to say the least. I will never buy another Dodge. Now I am stuck with it. I do not have the money to go out and buy something new.

Excellent, dependable
By brosun on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought at 39,000. Gave to our son as a wedding present with 165,000 in 7/10. What a car! Best quality American car I have owned in 40 years. Replaced a the water pump myself for $30 at 120K. Washers never worked, corroded pump but I don't think I washed the windshield by hand once a year! Absolutely nothing to complain about. Comfortable to ride in. Plenty of power, roomy, exterior was like showroom when we let it go after 7 years. Engine and transmission superb. ps: NEVER allow anything but Chrysler ATF 4 or 5 in your car. You WILL have transmission problems. You've been warned! This Caravan raised the bar for any future cars I should buy!

Don't hit anything
By Phavens on 02/27/10 18:52 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My dodge was working fine - did have to replace brakes pretty often - but was for the most part satisfied...until it slipped on the road due to snow - and hit a drain - which totaled the car. TOTALED THE CAR! one jolt - and the entire underside was busted to pieces - so i question the strength of the engine. I've read other reviews saying the same thing. So if you never get hit nor hit anything, you might be okay...just be really really careful.

Bulletproof Minivan
By greg on 02/13/10 20:43 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this minivan 2 years used and I was very reluctant based on the ratings I've seen online. I'm not a Dodge fan based on past experiences. Boy was I wrong. We just turned 160,000 miles on it and it has been bulletproof. No major issues other than routine maintenance. I couldn't have asked for more for the money.

Never again
By bmorecopper on 08/18/09 18:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is absolutely the worst vehicle I ever owned. We bought it with 46k miles on it. At 115k the transmission completely seized up. The vehicle was routinely maintained. After talking to several transmission shops we found that Dodge Caravans are noted for their bad transmissions. $2800 fix. Dodge knows/doesn't care. Yesterday the engine started banging loudly. 3 separate mechanics said the engine would need to be replaced. Avg estimate $2200. One mechanic commented we should feel lucky to have got 154k miles out of it. Do you research before buying. Call some transmission shops and ask about this vehicle.

Stalling and not starting
By trek01 on 03/22/09 15:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My vehicle has 83000 miles and is not over five years old. It just recently stalled while driving on the highway for about an hour. It would start but die again. Let it cool down some minute and would drive a little bit and stall again. After letting it sit for a day, it would not stall while sitting idle or driving around town. These situation did not happen to me but family members. When I finally was able to test the vehicle with the above mentioned problem, I discovered the stalling problem is caused by a bad "Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction", P0725 trouble code. You needed to go highway speeds for stalling not idle. Also, the starter goes in the 6th year.

Good results
By viper81149 on 01/05/09 13:30 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We have had a van since 1993 and this is the most reliable one we have owned. Good results. Plenty of power. A couple of problems that were covered by warranty but nothing major. No issues with engine or transmission. Rear brake cylinder had small leak at 60,000 miles and was replaced but other than that, no significant problems.

Great Van, Better than Honda & Toyota
By Tim Jessup on 06/08/08 13:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have 45,000 miles of trouble-free miles on this van. Own a 1985 Voyager with 199,000 miles (still have original alternator and most other original components in the 2.2 L engine) and a 1995 Caravan with 140,000 miles (only replaced AC compressor in 12 years). Get over 27 mpg on trips (using Mobil I motor oil. Get 18-20 mpg around town. Gotten better service than coworker who has a 2002 Honda Oddysey and has had transmission, breaks, and AC problems, already with barely 50,000 miles (so much for Honda quality!). Acceleration is smooth and runs well and regular grade gas, unlike many imports. Our van also runs on E85 fuel, though this is not available in our area. I recommend highly for you

Nice when new
By hertze on 01/30/07 08:56 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Wife wanted a minivan and we settled on a Caravan SXT. It was fine when it was new but many little issues have cropped up. One power door lock doesn't work, annoying whine from the power steering, clunky sounds from the rear suspension started with only about 38Km miles on it. One side of the windshield washer will not spray fluid, left blinker will not cancel itself etc. Brought to dealer with several of these issues when still under warranty and they supposedly could not find any issues. Poor service. I have also owned a Dodge truck and a Jeep Grand Cherokee and had no issues with either of them. Seemed to be better built. May be a good used buy due to poor resale.