Used 2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Great vehicle
By miller1980

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I got my caravan at 78,000 miles I've only had a couple problems since owning the car. First the O2 sensor went out (kind of an expensive fix for a single mom) and the power steering pump is going out. Other than that it has been a gem. I've driven it in the snow and curvy mountain roads for two years with no issues. The car is now at 130,000 miles and still running even after hitting a deer really hard.

POOR QUALITY
By lyndaw1

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Everyone on here talks about how great there van is. Mine is a piece of junk. The automatic side doors do not open. The a/c has been broke for over a year. The automatic trunk door doesn't open. The driver side door for the passenger doesn't open up for my daughter to get out now. Now the transmission is starting to slip. Should I go on with the problems??? We bought this van for something reliable not for something that would break down. The van has been a big disappointment to say the least. I will never buy another Dodge. Now I am stuck with it. I do not have the money to go out and buy something new.

Excellent, dependable
By brosun

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought at 39,000. Gave to our son as a wedding present with 165,000 in 7/10. What a car! Best quality American car I have owned in 40 years. Replaced a the water pump myself for $30 at 120K. Washers never worked, corroded pump but I don't think I washed the windshield by hand once a year! Absolutely nothing to complain about. Comfortable to ride in. Plenty of power, roomy, exterior was like showroom when we let it go after 7 years. Engine and transmission superb. ps: NEVER allow anything but Chrysler ATF 4 or 5 in your car. You WILL have transmission problems. You've been warned! This Caravan raised the bar for any future cars I should buy!

Favorite Features

Bumper to bumper quality design!

Suggested Improvements

Why can't manufacturers build cars like this consistently?

Very happy with 2003 caravan
By heatherj

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan CV Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is our 3rd van, and it has been terrific. 3 teenage sons all learned to drive on it, so there has been bodywork done, but no major repairs have been needed. :) have always had recommended maintenance carried out on schedule, though. It starts in -35 degree weather without being plugged in (it's in Canada) and air conditioning works like a dream when we have +80 f temperatures. It has been ideal with two kids playing sports and lots of trips to out-of-town games. This is my third Dodge caravan, the first being a 1983, the second a 1999, and I would buy another anytime. Great family vehicle, affordable, good mileage. Very practical vehicle.

Favorite Features

Really like convenient access to the back seats provided by sliding passenger doors on both sides. Get about 375 miles per tank routinely. Love the visibility. I am the mom, and can take the back and center seats out and reinstall them by myself. Awkward to lift in and out alone, but possible.

Suggested Improvements

Found it handled very differently from our 1999 Dodge Caravan. Steering seemed loose on curves compared to the other van, but got used to it in time.

13 mpg
By db11464

2003 Dodge Caravan Minivan CV Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Clunky shifts from transmission 3.3liter only gets 13 mpg (60% city-40% highway) front end parts don't last.

Favorite Features

nice cold a/c great heat

Suggested Improvements

improve mpg higher the front valance, it bottoms out