2003 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Great vehicle
By miller1980 on 02/12/14 12:52 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I got my caravan at 78,000 miles I've only had a couple problems since owning the car. First the O2 sensor went out (kind of an expensive fix for a single mom) and the power steering pump is going out. Other than that it has been a gem. I've driven it in the snow and curvy mountain roads for two years with no issues. The car is now at 130,000 miles and still running even after hitting a deer really hard.

POOR QUALITY
By lyndaw1 on 05/10/13 17:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Everyone on here talks about how great there van is. Mine is a piece of junk. The automatic side doors do not open. The a/c has been broke for over a year. The automatic trunk door doesn't open. The driver side door for the passenger doesn't open up for my daughter to get out now. Now the transmission is starting to slip. Should I go on with the problems??? We bought this van for something reliable not for something that would break down. The van has been a big disappointment to say the least. I will never buy another Dodge. Now I am stuck with it. I do not have the money to go out and buy something new.

Excellent, dependable
By brosun on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought at 39,000. Gave to our son as a wedding present with 165,000 in 7/10. What a car! Best quality American car I have owned in 40 years. Replaced a the water pump myself for $30 at 120K. Washers never worked, corroded pump but I don't think I washed the windshield by hand once a year! Absolutely nothing to complain about. Comfortable to ride in. Plenty of power, roomy, exterior was like showroom when we let it go after 7 years. Engine and transmission superb. ps: NEVER allow anything but Chrysler ATF 4 or 5 in your car. You WILL have transmission problems. You've been warned! This Caravan raised the bar for any future cars I should buy!

Very happy with 2003 caravan
By heatherj on 06/24/10 19:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan CV Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is our 3rd van, and it has been terrific. 3 teenage sons all learned to drive on it, so there has been bodywork done, but no major repairs have been needed. :) have always had recommended maintenance carried out on schedule, though. It starts in -35 degree weather without being plugged in (it's in Canada) and air conditioning works like a dream when we have +80 f temperatures. It has been ideal with two kids playing sports and lots of trips to out-of-town games. This is my third Dodge caravan, the first being a 1983, the second a 1999, and I would buy another anytime. Great family vehicle, affordable, good mileage. Very practical vehicle.

13 mpg
By db11464 on 03/30/10 20:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan CV Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Clunky shifts from transmission 3.3liter only gets 13 mpg (60% city-40% highway) front end parts don't last.

Don't hit anything
By Phavens on 02/27/10 18:52 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My dodge was working fine - did have to replace brakes pretty often - but was for the most part satisfied...until it slipped on the road due to snow - and hit a drain - which totaled the car. TOTALED THE CAR! one jolt - and the entire underside was busted to pieces - so i question the strength of the engine. I've read other reviews saying the same thing. So if you never get hit nor hit anything, you might be okay...just be really really careful.

Bulletproof Minivan
By greg on 02/13/10 20:43 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this minivan 2 years used and I was very reluctant based on the ratings I've seen online. I'm not a Dodge fan based on past experiences. Boy was I wrong. We just turned 160,000 miles on it and it has been bulletproof. No major issues other than routine maintenance. I couldn't have asked for more for the money.

pure junk
By john-d on 01/01/10 11:38 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

tranny problems...underpowered..wiring problems,constant motor noises, almost no get and go , overall a junk made van , after owning a ford wind-star this van is far from the quality of the ford

Best Van Made
By Dale In Florida on 10/14/09 18:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Best vehice I have ever owned...I,M 62 AND HAVE OWNED TONS......

Never again
By bmorecopper on 08/18/09 18:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is absolutely the worst vehicle I ever owned. We bought it with 46k miles on it. At 115k the transmission completely seized up. The vehicle was routinely maintained. After talking to several transmission shops we found that Dodge Caravans are noted for their bad transmissions. $2800 fix. Dodge knows/doesn't care. Yesterday the engine started banging loudly. 3 separate mechanics said the engine would need to be replaced. Avg estimate $2200. One mechanic commented we should feel lucky to have got 154k miles out of it. Do you research before buying. Call some transmission shops and ask about this vehicle.