Used 2002 Dodge Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Caravan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Stay away from Dodge
By Lou

2002 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

Considerably inexpensive. Paid half the price of a same year Honda van we purchased for my wife's use. Engine wise it is very peppy and economical. Very spacious for our family of 5. However, after 50,000 miles and 3 years, the evaporator and condenser needed replacing. $1000 dollars later the A/C was cooling satisfactory again. Soon I will tradeit in for a Honda van.

Favorite Features

Powerful reliable engine

Suggested Improvements

Wished 4 wheel drive had been an option

Caravan average at best
By Brautman

2002 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased an extended Dodge Caravan Sport and we enjoyed it in the test drive, but after we took it home it had some faults. We noticed the sound of an air leak from the windshield area that whistled particularly at highway speeds. The interior quality is quite poor as our passenger side sliding door panel fell off. The seats are comfortable and all rows are roomy. Performance isn't great with the 3.3L V6, but hey its a minivan.

Favorite Features

Comfy ride, quiet interior, roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Performance. Better quality

I love my Dodge
By Jen

2002 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have five kids (and a husband) and this car is large enough for all of us and our stuff. It is very reliable, I have only had to replace brake pads and tires. Finally, unlike other minivans, it looks good. I don't feel like a frumpy mom when I am in my sporty van with sleek lines. Now if we could just get an automatic french fry remover!

Favorite Features

Sleek lines. Storage. Powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Better lumbar support in driver and passenger seats. Covers for the area where the seat is attached to the van. (They are very difficult to vacuum.

Do Not Buy Dodge
By Fenway5

2002 Dodge Caravan eC Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this van for two years. I am in the process of trading it in for a Toyota (I owned a Toyota prior to buying this van). At 37,600 miles the headlights started going out. I was driving in the middle of the night and the headlights went out on me. I am lucky I didn't kill myself. Dodge Dealer said it was an electrical short? The car is only two years old! Also had trouble with battery disconnecting from its mount at a 1 year old.

Favorite Features

Nothing, really.

Suggested Improvements

Need to make a better quality vehicle. Fix transmission and eletrical problems

Don't buy a Dodge Grand Caravan
By scolby

2002 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

34000 mile the sway bar bushings had to be replaced. Took 4 trips to the dealer before they got it right. At 41000 miles the transmission went out. Lucky for me I bought an extended warranty. At 44000 miles the blinkers decided to quit working. Not fixed yet. I will never buy another Dodge for as long as I live. Can't believe that a transmission would die with only 41000 miles on it. I should have learned from the last one which went out at 78000 miles.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride and controls are well placed for the driver.

Suggested Improvements

Get some engineers that know how to design things so that they want break so soon.