2002 Dodge Caravan Sport Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Caravan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Sort Reviews by

Best car I've ever had!!
By abbsmarie

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My family has had the 2002 dodge caravan since 2004 and its been the best car we've had. It is so safe and thats what Ive loved!! its been in a car accident with the front all dented in, its been hit by the side and had 2 deer hit it and its still kickin' You will never find a more safe and reliable car in my book. I have over 225,000 miles on it and it still runs and drives great Too!!

Great travel van!
By Guido

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the van with 130000 miles on. Had to replace AC compressor, fix a electric window motor and buy the missing middle seat. Put on big tires to bring it off the ground. We took it on several long distance camping trips. Love the smooth ride. Fuel economy is not too bad on long distances, depending on driving style. Cruise control useless in higher altitudes (we live in CO). Small transmission fluid leak. No engine problems whatsoever. We also own a 95 Plymouth van in Europe which comes with a 4cyl. turbo diesel engine. Wish I could have that engine in it! Powerful and very economic (up to 30 miles)

Favorite Features

Smooth quiet ride, Sound system, Can get parts everywhere in the country.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy (with turbo gas or diesel engine).

good van
By Bill

I have had very good luck with this van. So far 11000 no major problems

Dodge repairs too many
By John

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I had a few Dodge cars, all had head gasket problems that I had to pay to fix. For awhile I avoided Dodge. I liked the sport caravan so after talking to a dealer they assured me engine problems were solved. I leased for 3 years to be sure problems were really gone. After lease I purchased. During the lease time the air bag light kept coming on. I took it to the dealer at least 7 or more times for repair. Whatever they did kept the light off for a few days or up to a month. After warranty was over the light came on again. Then I took it to a non dealer repair center. They showed me the problem was the passenger airbag needed replacement They said no way would dealer not know about this.

Favorite Features

Ride, room to put lots of stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Dealers and company should be honest about known issues and should and fix problems. Being dishonest and trying to avoid repair problems lost me forever as a customer. Never again will I purchase a Dodge!

My Third Straight
By My Third Straight

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third straight Dodge Caravan. Sold our last one with 170,000+ miles on it and the previous one had 158,00+ miles. Very happy with this make and model and am dedicated to taking care of it by doing routine maintenance. That is the reason why these vehicles keep running and are able to put so many miles on them. The ride is great, the interior is roomy, and the style of the sport is great. I have complaints about this vehicle and in another five years or so will probably look for a new one if things stay the way they are. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone with a bigger family or someone who travels a lot.

Favorite Features

Removable / movable seats along with the roomy interior design. Good options from the dual climate control to the power windows and seats. The power sliding door is a great additional feature which is wonderful when you have kids. The rear a/c controls are great. The auto start, can't live without.

Suggested Improvements

Radio controls on the steering wheel assembly. The lower edges on ALL doors should be smoother/seamless so it doesn't hold salt/water/dirt in the northern states which promotes rust.

Driving Customers Away!
By Blair L. Ritchie

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned two minivans. The first a 96 and now this one. Dodge/Chrysler will never see one penny from me ever again! Both vehicles I owned from them have required repair for items that are clearly a result of poor design. The 96 had the well known transmission problems that so many experienced and now my 02 is having front end problems (sway bar, pwr steering). I can understand that vehicles will have problems. However, why they will never see my money again is that they do not admit to an obvious problem and then stand behind it in terms of repair. It is actually insulting to be treated by a company as if mine is the only one showing these issues yet others share similar stories.

Favorite Features

Handling and ride comfort

Suggested Improvements

To do the right thing and stand behind their product. Admit a mistake in design flaws then repair them for the customer.

2002 Caravan Review
By G. Lukas

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Great value! Only paid $17,000 brand new and have no trouble at all. Haven't even had to tune it up yet!

Terrrific vehicle - versatile & reliable
By Michael

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We have driven our SWB Caravan Sport over 75,000 miles in 2.5 years. It has been virtually trouble free. The only exception was a sliding door issue that was covered by warrantee. It has met our every need from a local people hauler to a vacation and camping marvel. Terrific handling, very good fuel economy (consistently over 21 mpg combined), and great looks. My engineer daughter loves to drive it. We are passing it on to our son who now has two small kids, but replacing it with a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country Touring model. We are sold on this car.

Favorite Features

Versatility. The Caravan serves as a little truck on many occassions. Reasonable price, especially compared to a Honda Odyssey with which we had a less favorable opinion. Sporty, good looks. It makes me smile to see it. And, lastly, reliablity. We treat it right and it returns the favor.

Suggested Improvements

Considering the price, it is an amazing value. I do not know what else they could deliver. However, the 2005 models look even better.

Caravan average at best
By Brautman

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased an extended Dodge Caravan Sport and we enjoyed it in the test drive, but after we took it home it had some faults. We noticed the sound of an air leak from the windshield area that whistled particularly at highway speeds. The interior quality is quite poor as our passenger side sliding door panel fell off. The seats are comfortable and all rows are roomy. Performance isn't great with the 3.3L V6, but hey its a minivan.

Favorite Features

Comfy ride, quiet interior, roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Performance. Better quality

I love my Dodge
By Jen

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have five kids (and a husband) and this car is large enough for all of us and our stuff. It is very reliable, I have only had to replace brake pads and tires. Finally, unlike other minivans, it looks good. I don't feel like a frumpy mom when I am in my sporty van with sleek lines. Now if we could just get an automatic french fry remover!

Favorite Features

Sleek lines. Storage. Powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Better lumbar support in driver and passenger seats. Covers for the area where the seat is attached to the van. (They are very difficult to vacuum.