2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Great travel van!
By Guido on 02/09/10 10:22 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the van with 130000 miles on. Had to replace AC compressor, fix a electric window motor and buy the missing middle seat. Put on big tires to bring it off the ground. We took it on several long distance camping trips. Love the smooth ride. Fuel economy is not too bad on long distances, depending on driving style. Cruise control useless in higher altitudes (we live in CO). Small transmission fluid leak. No engine problems whatsoever. We also own a 95 Plymouth van in Europe which comes with a 4cyl. turbo diesel engine. Wish I could have that engine in it! Powerful and very economic (up to 30 miles)

good van
By Bill on 01/23/10 22:51 PM (PST)

I have had very good luck with this van. So far 11000 no major problems

Dodge repairs too many
By John on 08/26/09 07:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I had a few Dodge cars, all had head gasket problems that I had to pay to fix. For awhile I avoided Dodge. I liked the sport caravan so after talking to a dealer they assured me engine problems were solved. I leased for 3 years to be sure problems were really gone. After lease I purchased. During the lease time the air bag light kept coming on. I took it to the dealer at least 7 or more times for repair. Whatever they did kept the light off for a few days or up to a month. After warranty was over the light came on again. Then I took it to a non dealer repair center. They showed me the problem was the passenger airbag needed replacement They said no way would dealer not know about this.

My Third Straight
By My Third Straight on 10/18/08 19:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third straight Dodge Caravan. Sold our last one with 170,000+ miles on it and the previous one had 158,00+ miles. Very happy with this make and model and am dedicated to taking care of it by doing routine maintenance. That is the reason why these vehicles keep running and are able to put so many miles on them. The ride is great, the interior is roomy, and the style of the sport is great. I have complaints about this vehicle and in another five years or so will probably look for a new one if things stay the way they are. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone with a bigger family or someone who travels a lot.

Driving Customers Away!
By Blair L. Ritchie on 08/26/08 03:43 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned two minivans. The first a 96 and now this one. Dodge/Chrysler will never see one penny from me ever again! Both vehicles I owned from them have required repair for items that are clearly a result of poor design. The 96 had the well known transmission problems that so many experienced and now my 02 is having front end problems (sway bar, pwr steering). I can understand that vehicles will have problems. However, why they will never see my money again is that they do not admit to an obvious problem and then stand behind it in terms of repair. It is actually insulting to be treated by a company as if mine is the only one showing these issues yet others share similar stories.

2002 Caravan Review
By G. Lukas on 05/24/08 10:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Great value! Only paid $17,000 brand new and have no trouble at all. Haven't even had to tune it up yet!

Terrrific vehicle - versatile & reliable
By Michael on 08/27/05 21:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We have driven our SWB Caravan Sport over 75,000 miles in 2.5 years. It has been virtually trouble free. The only exception was a sliding door issue that was covered by warrantee. It has met our every need from a local people hauler to a vacation and camping marvel. Terrific handling, very good fuel economy (consistently over 21 mpg combined), and great looks. My engineer daughter loves to drive it. We are passing it on to our son who now has two small kids, but replacing it with a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country Touring model. We are sold on this car.

Caravan average at best
By Brautman on 07/23/05 01:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased an extended Dodge Caravan Sport and we enjoyed it in the test drive, but after we took it home it had some faults. We noticed the sound of an air leak from the windshield area that whistled particularly at highway speeds. The interior quality is quite poor as our passenger side sliding door panel fell off. The seats are comfortable and all rows are roomy. Performance isn't great with the 3.3L V6, but hey its a minivan.

I love my Dodge
By Jen on 06/29/05 15:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have five kids (and a husband) and this car is large enough for all of us and our stuff. It is very reliable, I have only had to replace brake pads and tires. Finally, unlike other minivans, it looks good. I don't feel like a frumpy mom when I am in my sporty van with sleek lines. Now if we could just get an automatic french fry remover!

Don't buy a Dodge Grand Caravan
By scolby on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

34000 mile the sway bar bushings had to be replaced. Took 4 trips to the dealer before they got it right. At 41000 miles the transmission went out. Lucky for me I bought an extended warranty. At 44000 miles the blinkers decided to quit working. Not fixed yet. I will never buy another Dodge for as long as I live. Can't believe that a transmission would die with only 41000 miles on it. I should have learned from the last one which went out at 78000 miles.