2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
good investment
By peter39120 on 04/05/10 21:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

Bought used with 50k miles. good fuel economy, few repairs, just the usual minor repairs. except trans. rebuild. have owned a 92, 96, 02, 04 and 06 caravan. so far, the three old ones all needed trans. repair 70k-100k. but considering other costs are very reasonable, not a big problem. since i paid just $6200 for this van and have put 40k miles on it, it's been a dream. good ride. seats could be a bit more supportive. have a 06 caravan too. it has too firm a ride, but does have more supportive seats. i am a big caravan fan. my old 96 had a four cyl 2.4 L would get 20-21 mpg in town but be prepared. caravan are cheap to buy, cheap to maintain. but they will need transmission repairs.

Great travel van!
By Guido on 02/09/10 10:22 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the van with 130000 miles on. Had to replace AC compressor, fix a electric window motor and buy the missing middle seat. Put on big tires to bring it off the ground. We took it on several long distance camping trips. Love the smooth ride. Fuel economy is not too bad on long distances, depending on driving style. Cruise control useless in higher altitudes (we live in CO). Small transmission fluid leak. No engine problems whatsoever. We also own a 95 Plymouth van in Europe which comes with a 4cyl. turbo diesel engine. Wish I could have that engine in it! Powerful and very economic (up to 30 miles)

good van
By Bill on 01/23/10 22:51 PM (PST)

I have had very good luck with this van. So far 11000 no major problems

Dodge repairs too many
By John on 08/26/09 07:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I had a few Dodge cars, all had head gasket problems that I had to pay to fix. For awhile I avoided Dodge. I liked the sport caravan so after talking to a dealer they assured me engine problems were solved. I leased for 3 years to be sure problems were really gone. After lease I purchased. During the lease time the air bag light kept coming on. I took it to the dealer at least 7 or more times for repair. Whatever they did kept the light off for a few days or up to a month. After warranty was over the light came on again. Then I took it to a non dealer repair center. They showed me the problem was the passenger airbag needed replacement They said no way would dealer not know about this.

satisfied
By tom on 05/06/09 21:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

My transmision died the day crysler declared bankrupsy. 100,000ml/7 year warranty was still in force. Today I picked up my van with a new transmision, 3 yr, 100,000 mile warranty. I am satisfied crysler did me right when I bought it and is still doing me right! This van has been great. Only bad thing is I can not aford another, the grand caravan is too much for us working people.

My Third Straight
By My Third Straight on 10/18/08 19:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third straight Dodge Caravan. Sold our last one with 170,000+ miles on it and the previous one had 158,00+ miles. Very happy with this make and model and am dedicated to taking care of it by doing routine maintenance. That is the reason why these vehicles keep running and are able to put so many miles on them. The ride is great, the interior is roomy, and the style of the sport is great. I have complaints about this vehicle and in another five years or so will probably look for a new one if things stay the way they are. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone with a bigger family or someone who travels a lot.

Driving Customers Away!
By Blair L. Ritchie on 08/26/08 03:43 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned two minivans. The first a 96 and now this one. Dodge/Chrysler will never see one penny from me ever again! Both vehicles I owned from them have required repair for items that are clearly a result of poor design. The 96 had the well known transmission problems that so many experienced and now my 02 is having front end problems (sway bar, pwr steering). I can understand that vehicles will have problems. However, why they will never see my money again is that they do not admit to an obvious problem and then stand behind it in terms of repair. It is actually insulting to be treated by a company as if mine is the only one showing these issues yet others share similar stories.

2002 Caravan Review
By G. Lukas on 05/24/08 10:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Great value! Only paid $17,000 brand new and have no trouble at all. Haven't even had to tune it up yet!

Buyer Beware!
By Donna on 03/29/08 05:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

I bought this minivan because it fit into my budget. The Toyota and Honda were rated higher but I didn't like the way the Toyota felt and the Honda was too pricey. About 2 months past the 3 year warranty on my Caravan I started having to dole out for repairs. To date I have spent about $6,500. I think I spent $2,500 of that in year 4. The rear seat bench cup holder has broken off twice...I don't have young children who abuse it. In fact, it rarely gets used. Each repair for that has been over $100! The bearing on the sliding door has also broken 2x and I refuse to fix it again! Also had sway bar issues, power steering issues, defective spark plugs, oil leaks,...I will never buy a Dodge again

Avoid at all costs!
By SOCCER MOM on 11/03/07 16:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan eC Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new from dealer. Little things break too easy, outside sounds like it's inside, radio never worked right, air conditioning died in 2nd year, had to replace transmission (in 3rd year),fuel gage (4th year - broke down w/babies in the rain), front window seal (5th year) and rear side window seal (1st year). Will never buy a Dodge again!