Used 2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

good investment
By peter39120

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

Bought used with 50k miles. good fuel economy, few repairs, just the usual minor repairs. except trans. rebuild. have owned a 92, 96, 02, 04 and 06 caravan. so far, the three old ones all needed trans. repair 70k-100k. but considering other costs are very reasonable, not a big problem. since i paid just $6200 for this van and have put 40k miles on it, it's been a dream. good ride. seats could be a bit more supportive. have a 06 caravan too. it has too firm a ride, but does have more supportive seats. i am a big caravan fan. my old 96 had a four cyl 2.4 L would get 20-21 mpg in town but be prepared. caravan are cheap to buy, cheap to maintain. but they will need transmission repairs.

Favorite Features

ride, nice view of the road, plenty of room. dependable

Suggested Improvements

dodge, can you build a van that does not need a trans. repair?

Great travel van!
By Guido

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the van with 130000 miles on. Had to replace AC compressor, fix a electric window motor and buy the missing middle seat. Put on big tires to bring it off the ground. We took it on several long distance camping trips. Love the smooth ride. Fuel economy is not too bad on long distances, depending on driving style. Cruise control useless in higher altitudes (we live in CO). Small transmission fluid leak. No engine problems whatsoever. We also own a 95 Plymouth van in Europe which comes with a 4cyl. turbo diesel engine. Wish I could have that engine in it! Powerful and very economic (up to 30 miles)

Favorite Features

Smooth quiet ride, Sound system, Can get parts everywhere in the country.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy (with turbo gas or diesel engine).

good van
By Bill

I have had very good luck with this van. So far 11000 no major problems

Dodge repairs too many
By John

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I had a few Dodge cars, all had head gasket problems that I had to pay to fix. For awhile I avoided Dodge. I liked the sport caravan so after talking to a dealer they assured me engine problems were solved. I leased for 3 years to be sure problems were really gone. After lease I purchased. During the lease time the air bag light kept coming on. I took it to the dealer at least 7 or more times for repair. Whatever they did kept the light off for a few days or up to a month. After warranty was over the light came on again. Then I took it to a non dealer repair center. They showed me the problem was the passenger airbag needed replacement They said no way would dealer not know about this.

Favorite Features

Ride, room to put lots of stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Dealers and company should be honest about known issues and should and fix problems. Being dishonest and trying to avoid repair problems lost me forever as a customer. Never again will I purchase a Dodge!

satisfied
By tom

2002 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

My transmision died the day crysler declared bankrupsy. 100,000ml/7 year warranty was still in force. Today I picked up my van with a new transmision, 3 yr, 100,000 mile warranty. I am satisfied crysler did me right when I bought it and is still doing me right! This van has been great. Only bad thing is I can not aford another, the grand caravan is too much for us working people.

Favorite Features

bucket seats,sports car like ride

Suggested Improvements

get the price range back where i paid