Used 2001 Dodge Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Road Warrior
By Tricia

2001 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

The second Caravan I've owned, this one, bought used, is reliable, comfortable, and a great service vehicle for any task I've used it to accomplish. It is great on the highway and offers reasonable gas efficiency. At 145,000 and going strong, I still have miles to go with regular maintenance. It is truly my road warrior! The only problem I ever had is with a wacky onboard computer that had to be replaced (twice, since the first one from manufacturer was also faulty). My private mechanic was great; the dealership I had to order through was difficult to work with and proved to be a ripoff!!

Versatility in configuration -- I can transport a full carload of adults; kids and pets; groceries; luggage or heavier hauls and even furniture!

Lighter rear seats and a fold down middle bench. They're somewhat difficult to remove and reinstall on my own.

We love our van
By Damo

2001 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

We bought our van with 18k miles now have 112k. It has been nothing but GREAT. Smooth V6 and no problems. Still have the original rear brakes! The 3.3 engine is peppy and smooth. Would buy another one and highly recommend.

Comfort on long trips.

I think Dodge got it right.

It's been good, but....
By Bob

2001 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a mini-van because of growing family. Had an '85 Caravan and loved it so I came back. I've enjoyed driving it but over the years it seems that something always needs a fix. Dealership pricing is outrageous! Two tie bars $400 vs $200 at local shop. Brakes close to $300.00.

Comfortable ride and space. 3.3 flex fuel gets 18-23mpg. Great on long rides.

Hood design promotes corrosion near latch-$600.00 to replace. Sliding door glass doesn't open so you need the the A-C every time the sun is bright, not enough venting.

great family vehicle
By happy

2001 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Best family vehicle I have owned in my lifetime. Bought vehicle new from dealership in 2001. Drive 400 miles one way to visit family several times a year. When driving a sedan on this trip it was long, tiring and cramped. With minivan it is comfortable and pleasant. Have not had any major problems with powertrain.

Smooth comfortable ride over long family trips.

3.3 V-6 a little underpowered.

The Worst Vehicle I ever owned
By TP

2001 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

Bought new and have had nothing but problems - Here's a short list: Power steering twice Two Air Conditioning condensors Check Engine Light twice Heater Coil leak Arm rest fell off after 30,000 miles rear wiper does not work properly Radiator leak This car is 8yrs old but only has 103,000 miles on it. I changed the oil religiously and did not drive it "hard." How can anyone look at the above list and tell me this is acceptable. Next time it's a Honda or Toyota.

None