Used 2001 Dodge Caravan SE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Road Warrior
By Tricia

2001 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

The second Caravan I've owned, this one, bought used, is reliable, comfortable, and a great service vehicle for any task I've used it to accomplish. It is great on the highway and offers reasonable gas efficiency. At 145,000 and going strong, I still have miles to go with regular maintenance. It is truly my road warrior! The only problem I ever had is with a wacky onboard computer that had to be replaced (twice, since the first one from manufacturer was also faulty). My private mechanic was great; the dealership I had to order through was difficult to work with and proved to be a ripoff!!

Versatility in configuration -- I can transport a full carload of adults; kids and pets; groceries; luggage or heavier hauls and even furniture!

Lighter rear seats and a fold down middle bench. They're somewhat difficult to remove and reinstall on my own.

We love our van
By Damo

2001 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

We bought our van with 18k miles now have 112k. It has been nothing but GREAT. Smooth V6 and no problems. Still have the original rear brakes! The 3.3 engine is peppy and smooth. Would buy another one and highly recommend.

Comfort on long trips.

I think Dodge got it right.

The Worst Vehicle I ever owned
By TP

2001 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

Bought new and have had nothing but problems - Here's a short list: Power steering twice Two Air Conditioning condensors Check Engine Light twice Heater Coil leak Arm rest fell off after 30,000 miles rear wiper does not work properly Radiator leak This car is 8yrs old but only has 103,000 miles on it. I changed the oil religiously and did not drive it "hard." How can anyone look at the above list and tell me this is acceptable. Next time it's a Honda or Toyota.

None

Improve on reliability

Lots of storage, lots of problems
By Soringfield Dodge

2001 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

Purchased this vehicle new, and maintained it to the letter. It has received much better treatment than it has provided us. We have kept it because the value plummets as soon as you take ownership of it, and its trade-in value tanks overnight. Mostly steering/front suspension problems have been reoccurring although the cooling system has been problematic as well.We will never buy another Chrysler product again, although other consumer reviewers have had much better experiences with their Caravans. So much for quality control.

Poor Economics
By Money Pit Mobile

2001 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

Bought our van new in 2001. Maintained to the letter, and above, but always some kind of a problem. Devaluation rate after purchase mind boggling. Many problems with the front suspension and steering, starting at week one. It is versatile and nice on the highway, but the main reason we kept it is due to the fact we lost such a large amount of money on its low resale value and we have spent so much on repairs. Would not recomend buying a Doge van to someone unless you have a terrible grudge to settle