2001 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Comfortable Reliable Economical
By surflad on 07/25/12 19:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 01 Sport in 02 with 16,000 miles. $20K. It was my second Caravan. 3.3 liter got 24mpg at 2200rpm on the highway. Replaced the alternator at 25k. A/C at 150k. Transmission at 211K (never changed the fluid). Plugs once, brakes once, front window motors once. Regular synthetic oil changes. Got t-boned at an intersection by a red-light runner! Van had 231,000 miles. Up to that point my van ran great. Was hoping to go 300,000. But it was not to be. Will pick up another 01 Sport tomorrow. Nothing but good things to say about this Dodge.

great minivan
By dghost1 on 10/18/11 09:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it a year ago with 155k miles , have not made any repairs but regular maintance oil changes,. I put in a KN air intake and it gives me 22 plus MPG. I really like it, runs great can't even feel the motor running. Great family vehicle, plan on trading it for a newer model. I was really suprise a dodge could deliver a great review.

2001 Dodge Caravan Sport~289,000 Miles and Still Going!
By rosehavenfarm1 on 06/23/11 19:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van as a second owner. Previous owner put 200,000 highway miles on it. We bought it for a song and haven't looked back. Other than tires, oil change and a waterpump, the "Puddle Jumper" hasn't let me down. She is wonderful. Planning on taking it to Colorado this fall. Its 1,289 miles from home one way! She's going in the garage to get a "look over" within a month. My van is wonderful. Going to get handed down to my 16 yr old son after he gets his license.

It's been good, but....
By Bob on 01/16/10 06:22 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a mini-van because of growing family. Had an '85 Caravan and loved it so I came back. I've enjoyed driving it but over the years it seems that something always needs a fix. Dealership pricing is outrageous! Two tie bars $400 vs $200 at local shop. Brakes close to $300.00.

great family vehicle
By happy on 07/26/09 19:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Best family vehicle I have owned in my lifetime. Bought vehicle new from dealership in 2001. Drive 400 miles one way to visit family several times a year. When driving a sedan on this trip it was long, tiring and cramped. With minivan it is comfortable and pleasant. Have not had any major problems with powertrain.

GRAND Caravan Sport
By GRAND Caravan on 06/09/08 13:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased or Grand Caravan Sport new from the dealership. It has given us 7 great years with minor issues. We recently were going to trade it in on a new cross-over and instead traded in our Volvo for the cross over and kept the van. However now our needs are changing and the van is really not needed anymore, plan to trade it in for something smaller and more fuel efficient.

2001 Caravan Sport
By dt on 05/22/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Roomy, comfortable on trips, adequate performance, mostly trouble free. First vacuum leak (CEL code for large evap system leak) took it to a dealer and cost $1k. Second vacuum leak (same code) I did some online research, found the bad hose, and fixed it myself for $6.00. My sense is the dealer has overcharged for everything I've had done there, they treat female customers like idiots, and I will not return. Power steering noise around 100k. Researched online and found the "full" line on the Power Steering tank is wrong - added a little fluid and it's been fine for 30k+

I love my Caravan
By MikeyP on 05/20/08 18:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Caravan Sport as a primary vehicle for our growing family. Over the past 4.5 years of owning it, it has never had a mechanical breakdown other than normal wear items (battery died in the 3rd year). We had one issue with the A/C system, which was caused by an improperly completed service on the climate controls. That was only a concern because Florida living requires 100% A/C reliability. The vehicle is strong, stable, and runs my 5 member family everywhere we need to go. We have even used it to tow a 2500 pound boat with no issues. Given the opportunity, I would buy another one without hesitation. It may be a soccer mobile, but it fits it's job nicely.

America better build a better car
By m thornton on 02/03/08 06:39 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used with 30k ,Now has 96k Engine light was on when I bought it , dealer installed new EGR.valve. Front stab. bush went.replace 2 x so far. ign. key lock went south,(no bloody good reason) window lift motors went out 2x replaced. Vac leak cannot be found (driving me crazy.)New water pump, Idle tensioner pulley, the reat wa just routine maint. I can't realy say I love this car with the problems I have had. Stupid stuff. I will buy a Kia next time

The Best Vehicle I've Owned
By Lee Etheridge on 04/17/06 10:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

The only problem I've ever had was with the front steering/radial arms. The bushings on both sides wore out after about 3 years. Other than that, I haven't had anything go wrong with the car that wasn't normal "wear and tear" (such as changing belts. air filters. etc...).