2001 Dodge Caravan SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

2001 Caravan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Sort Reviews by

Road Warrior
By Tricia

2001 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

The second Caravan I've owned, this one, bought used, is reliable, comfortable, and a great service vehicle for any task I've used it to accomplish. It is great on the highway and offers reasonable gas efficiency. At 145,000 and going strong, I still have miles to go with regular maintenance. It is truly my road warrior! The only problem I ever had is with a wacky onboard computer that had to be replaced (twice, since the first one from manufacturer was also faulty). My private mechanic was great; the dealership I had to order through was difficult to work with and proved to be a ripoff!!

Favorite Features

Versatility in configuration -- I can transport a full carload of adults; kids and pets; groceries; luggage or heavier hauls and even furniture!

Suggested Improvements

Lighter rear seats and a fold down middle bench. They're somewhat difficult to remove and reinstall on my own.

We love our van
By Damo

2001 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

We bought our van with 18k miles now have 112k. It has been nothing but GREAT. Smooth V6 and no problems. Still have the original rear brakes! The 3.3 engine is peppy and smooth. Would buy another one and highly recommend.

Favorite Features

Comfort on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

I think Dodge got it right.

The Worst Vehicle I ever owned
By TP

2001 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

Bought new and have had nothing but problems - Here's a short list: Power steering twice Two Air Conditioning condensors Check Engine Light twice Heater Coil leak Arm rest fell off after 30,000 miles rear wiper does not work properly Radiator leak This car is 8yrs old but only has 103,000 miles on it. I changed the oil religiously and did not drive it "hard." How can anyone look at the above list and tell me this is acceptable. Next time it's a Honda or Toyota.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Improve on reliability

Lots of storage, lots of problems
By Soringfield Dodge

2001 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

Purchased this vehicle new, and maintained it to the letter. It has received much better treatment than it has provided us. We have kept it because the value plummets as soon as you take ownership of it, and its trade-in value tanks overnight. Mostly steering/front suspension problems have been reoccurring although the cooling system has been problematic as well.We will never buy another Chrysler product again, although other consumer reviewers have had much better experiences with their Caravans. So much for quality control.

Poor Economics
By Money Pit Mobile

2001 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

Bought our van new in 2001. Maintained to the letter, and above, but always some kind of a problem. Devaluation rate after purchase mind boggling. Many problems with the front suspension and steering, starting at week one. It is versatile and nice on the highway, but the main reason we kept it is due to the fact we lost such a large amount of money on its low resale value and we have spent so much on repairs. Would not recomend buying a Doge van to someone unless you have a terrible grudge to settle

Transmisson
By Cheys for me

2001 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

I have had my van for over a year enjoyed driving it. I did not go out and purposely buy it. Family situtation which I took posssession of the vehicle. Ran great took it on about five trips. About a week ago just going down the road felt two jolts and the transmission was gone. Just went out of warranty. So I had to spend over $ 2,000.00 to have it repaired. Went online to check if other people have had problems. I was blown away with all the complaints. No wonder they are offering lifetime warranty. Needless to say I'm trading in the near future.

Favorite Features

Heated seats. Stereo. Able to recline 2nd row seats.

Suggested Improvements

Do something about the transmissions

I love this van
By wking309

2001 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

I never thought I would like a minivan, but once I got my hands on my Caravan, I fell in love. For a car with over 100,000 miles, it is very reliable, still has plenty of power, and is great to drive. This car is plenty powerful for getting me around town, and it doesn't kill me at the pump compared to my old truck. The only things I don't like about it are the slightly rough idle, and how heavy the back seats are. It kills my back having to move those by myself a lot of times.

Favorite Features

Cruise control, tilt steering wheel, very comfortable seating

Suggested Improvements

More lumbar support. After long trips my back was sore, so I had to buy a cushion for my back. I'm only 20 years old.

Not Bad For What It Is
By Steve

2001 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

We bought our Dodge Caravan brand new, and while I wasn't thrilled with the Dodge dealership, this minivan has served us quite well over the years. The only problems I've had with it is a burst vacuum line that took 2 times to find and the tendency for the rubber seal on sliding door on the drivers side to pop out when the door is closed. This makes it impossible to open the driver's door. Of course, if you open the sliding door again, the driver's door opens fine. Yeah, not a great "feature," but honestly it is only a minor inconvenience. On the whole, it has been serviceable and functional - a great value for our family.

4 years, 86000 miles, and few problems
By Mark

2001 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

This vehicle is not fancy, but it has been dependable transportation for my family. The only time it's been in the shop is for regularly scheduled maintenance, and for a failed power window motor.

Favorite Features

Large enough interior for family and "stuff", and removable seats are great, giving flexibilty of use.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing that the new models don't already have.

Must have been built on a Monday morning
By take it to junkman

2001 Dodge Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 3A)

43K miles on the van in alittle more than 3 years. Started having problems after 1st month. Not enough room here for all, but major ones include replacing HVAC control unit because temp. control was stuck in HOT position, replaced gas tank & most of pollution system looking for a vaccum leak. Power steering pump problems caused noise & vibration at all speeds. Headlght switch broke & lights would just go out w/o any warning. Most of these took at least 2 trips to the garage to fix. Latest problem, tranny let go last Friday. Saturday morn, dealer tells me I can't get loaner car I'm entitled to w/ extended warranty until a tech diagnosis the problem.

Favorite Features

got to spend Saturday test driving Chevys.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe change 5 star service to 10 star... but then again, anything times zero is still ZERO....