Used 2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Love my Caravan Sport
By MisterNL

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

My short wheelbase caravan sport is a terrific car. Handles well, carries volumes of people and stuff, looks cool. Floor-thru is one of the best features. The floor is flat. You can put lumber all the way to the front console. Even the dog can ride between the two front seats. People deride the Caravan as for soccer moms. I say it's ten times more macho and practical in real life than an SUV. And the feeling of spaciousness inside is just unbeatable. It's the little truck that could. Thank you Dodge.

Favorite Features

Short wheelbase parallel parks like a pro, floor thru design provides greatest flexibility, hd suspension provides sporty ride, head room, flexible seating/cargo, spacious, high seating view, good stereo, thoughtful controls.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission won't stand up to pulling a 2,500 lb trailer. Other than that, my 2000 Dodge Caravan sport is a great vehicle.

2000 Dodge Caravan
By Kevin

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We purchased the Caravan, used, for the style, comfort, and price. After about our second year of owning the van we started having problems. The transmission started leaking, I cannot remember the name of the part, but it cost $445.00 to replace. The key would not turn when placed in the ignition and after calling the dealership we were told to put the key in the ignition and tap it with a hammer, which worked. The van has good power and the basic equipment is all we needed, power, two sliding doors, keyless entry, etc... I know when you're buying used you may be buying someone else's problems but I will buy new next time and it will be foreign.

Favorite Features

Power locks/windows, keyless entry, vehicle power, and room.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, interior noise, and trunk space.

Never again buying a Dodge product
By Myron Bennett

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

The Caravan was very nice for the first 18 months, or so, but after that,there has been non-stop transmission oil leaks. The trans oil lines have been replaced 3 times, and a shift solenoid have been replaced 2 times. The van had to go back to another dealer again yesterday, for still another leak, and this time I had, again, pay for new clamps to stop the leaks. What is said about bad transmissions on Chrysler vans is completely right. The van also for the past year has a sometimes jerk downshifting from 2nd to first. Also the resale value on these things are terrible.

Favorite Features

Van is comfortable to travel in.

Suggested Improvements

New design transmissions.

Average price, average van
By EC

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This is our second Dodge minivan and is a great improvement over the '91 model we owned. At 56,000 miles have had no major problems. Brake pads and front rotors seem to wear quickly, and belt tensioner failed at 50,000. Transmission makes buzzing noise when shifting, but have heard this on other Chrysler vehicles. Just hope the tranny stays together! Great for long trips and plenty of room...fairly quiet, too. 3.0 Mitsu engine has been reliable, but could use more power on long hills at highway speed. So far for the money, this has been a good vehicle.

Favorite Features

Front seating position and highway ride. Lots of room.

Suggested Improvements

Miss the dash pushbutton hatch release on the '91. Squeaks and rattles becoming more evident.

Owned for 4 years - awesome vehicle!
By familyoffive

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We purchased our Grand Caravan in June 2000 when our third child was born. I have not had one complaint since day one! The only thing I had to have adjusted was front brakes at one point, and that was due to all of the in town driving we do, not due to poor brakes. It is the most comfortable vehicle, and plenty of room for all. I love my Dodge Grand Caravan!!!

Favorite Features

Everything!

Suggested Improvements

No complaints at all!