2000 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
My third Dodge minivan
By wkguy on 11/04/07 18:13 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

This is my third Dodge minivan. The two earlier versions were 4 pingers. Present is 6. Better mileage with the 4 and easier to change the plugs. Comfortable ride. The rear seats can be removed but a real back breaker for most people and most women shouldn't even consider it. My dealer recently changed the serpentine and air cond belt. 5 weeks later the serpentine belt comes off and they charge me another $200.00 to put it back on saying it also needed a new idler belt. A real scam but I don't blame the van...it didn't cheat me, the dealer did. Replaced brake pad around 45,000 miles; transmis solenoid gasket around 64,000...check engine light stays on but everything else works find.

Good versatile vehicle
By Bill on 09/06/07 12:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van with 26,000 miles on it in 2003. I have 49,000 on it now. Aside from a minor solenoid leak in the transmission (easy 90 buck fix at dealer) and normal wear and tear items ( specifically the front brakes and serpentine belt)I have had no problems.It starts easily and goes as needed. It has great mileage and good power. The airbag clockspring was recalled- free fix. This van is my workhorse which with normal maintenance hopefully I will get over 100 k out of. I put 137000 on my prior 1992 plymouth voyager and everything worked the whole time. I donated it to the purple heart in good shape. I expect the Dodge to work just as well. Overall this is a great van which paid for itself

Good, reliable, and versatile minivan.
By CarolinaBoy on 11/15/06 08:47 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

This is my first minivan and it has exceeded my expectations. It has required less repairs and attention than almost any car I have owned. Unfortunately, my A/C went out at the end of the summer and will cost $1500 to repair. That has been the only problem I have had so far. Overall, I am very satisfied with my Caravan and would definitely consider purchasing another one in the future.

Good Van For The Money
By Billy D on 09/27/06 11:33 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought a 1992 Plymouth Voyager and put 137,000 miles on it and only had one problem, the head gasket needed replacement at 32,000. So in 2003 I decided to retire that great baby to the purple heart and buy a used Dodge. Price was very good. After getting the shift solenoid seal fixed under warranty and pan gasket (within 1 month of buying so repair was free) have had no problems. Ride is smooth and corners well with HD suspension. Has great power. Mileage is better than advertised, with cruise and sensible driving can get 28 mpg on hwy. Great room and flexible too. Is very easy on tires and brakes. I have the 3.3 L which is a plus. Paint and exterior are very durable. Paid $11K in 2003 w/26000 on.

It's an OK choice. Pretty reliable.
By Roman on 04/19/06 14:35 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

When I bought this car it has 72K and I put another 7000 miles on it. All I can say is it's not real pretty on the inside or outside, but with captain chairs it's a very good family car. It's quite reliable too (try a Windstar, you'll know the difference). It's 3.8L engine took a little less gas then Windstar, and it's quite powerful too. I didn't know that when the car stays a couple weeks outside and brakes get rusty - you have to take the wheel off and smake the drums with the hammer, so I ended up replacing tire, brakes and wheel. ($350lost,put used alloy wheel and used tire). I'd recommend this car to someone who likes comfort, but doesn't have enough money to buy and Odessey or Sienna.

Love my Caravan Sport
By MisterNL on 04/15/06 10:27 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

My short wheelbase caravan sport is a terrific car. Handles well, carries volumes of people and stuff, looks cool. Floor-thru is one of the best features. The floor is flat. You can put lumber all the way to the front console. Even the dog can ride between the two front seats. People deride the Caravan as for soccer moms. I say it's ten times more macho and practical in real life than an SUV. And the feeling of spaciousness inside is just unbeatable. It's the little truck that could. Thank you Dodge.

2000 Dodge Caravan
By Kevin on 03/17/06 12:12 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

We purchased the Caravan, used, for the style, comfort, and price. After about our second year of owning the van we started having problems. The transmission started leaking, I cannot remember the name of the part, but it cost $445.00 to replace. The key would not turn when placed in the ignition and after calling the dealership we were told to put the key in the ignition and tap it with a hammer, which worked. The van has good power and the basic equipment is all we needed, power, two sliding doors, keyless entry, etc... I know when you're buying used you may be buying someone else's problems but I will buy new next time and it will be foreign.

Never again buying a Dodge product
By Myron Bennett on 12/30/04 17:04 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

The Caravan was very nice for the first 18 months, or so, but after that,there has been non-stop transmission oil leaks. The trans oil lines have been replaced 3 times, and a shift solenoid have been replaced 2 times. The van had to go back to another dealer again yesterday, for still another leak, and this time I had, again, pay for new clamps to stop the leaks. What is said about bad transmissions on Chrysler vans is completely right. The van also for the past year has a sometimes jerk downshifting from 2nd to first. Also the resale value on these things are terrible.

Average price, average van
By EC on 12/15/04 20:02 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

This is our second Dodge minivan and is a great improvement over the '91 model we owned. At 56,000 miles have had no major problems. Brake pads and front rotors seem to wear quickly, and belt tensioner failed at 50,000. Transmission makes buzzing noise when shifting, but have heard this on other Chrysler vehicles. Just hope the tranny stays together! Great for long trips and plenty of room...fairly quiet, too. 3.0 Mitsu engine has been reliable, but could use more power on long hills at highway speed. So far for the money, this has been a good vehicle.

Owned for 4 years - awesome vehicle!
By familyoffive on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

We purchased our Grand Caravan in June 2000 when our third child was born. I have not had one complaint since day one! The only thing I had to have adjusted was front brakes at one point, and that was due to all of the in town driving we do, not due to poor brakes. It is the most comfortable vehicle, and plenty of room for all. I love my Dodge Grand Caravan!!!