2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Good while it lasted - RIP my friend.
By wvuprof on 12/27/13 18:48 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought with 98k miles on it. Comfortable, easy to drive, no extraordinary maintenance or repair costs aside from new tires and regular oil changes for 2 yrs. At 136k miles, the transmission failed. I had it rebuilt, but other things started to go bad afterward (I don't believe these problems were caused by the mechanics during the rebuild). A small oil leak (not sure from where), a radiator hose blew out, washer sprayer quit, small stuff like that. Nickle and dime. A year later, the dashboard electric went out. No wipers, no speedometer, no fuel gauge. Despite the electrical problems and annoying glitches, the motor ran well. It was good while it lasted, but no more Dodges for me thanks.

Reliable work horse, kids love it.
By wt on 04/06/10 20:25 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I got my caravan new in 2000 and have 114,000 on it so far. I bumped it. I used it for everything. Even use it to pull a small trailer now. Gas could be better. I did not get the lesser model because of difference I can feel when test driving. I worn off the original tire and brakes. Now the biggest problem is my kids wont let me get a newer car.

dodge dependable minivan se
By Marisaperry on 01/20/10 08:23 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

this mini van is great.thats all i can say about it.I LOVE IT!

2000 Grand Caravan
By karen on 09/23/09 20:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

It has been a great van for us. Only minor repairs till 235,000 then the trans went out, but I have no complaints. Air conditioner is still ice cold with no repairs. Gas mileage was decent (20 mph)with the 3.3. I would buy another one. Great van for the money. Took many trips in the old girl. She was a good one.

A disposable minivan.
By Yariswhite09 on 09/20/09 08:27 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Buying this van in February of 2000 and owning it for almost 10 years, its not what we expected of it. Don't get me wrong. It rides quite good was pretty frugal on fuel (WAS) but now is just a overtaxed sheet of metal. To start, a pair of brakes only last 15K miles (dealer never could solve the problem), a failed pwr. steering pump at 49K, and now a transmission that has trouble shifting into 2nd gear and the rubber linings around the van are all warped. And the frame is rusting out. These are disposable vans for people who keep cars for no longer then 60-70K miles. For a more reliable van, go for a Honda or Toyota van. The only thing these vans have to offer is price. No value. No quality.

Good for its purpose
By rccllap on 06/02/08 18:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We've had this since it was new off the lot. Miles per gallon is down to 20 after eight almost nine years and over 100K miles. We added towing package and it worked fine pulling U-haul to and from Florida in the summer. Made a great family vacation vehicle, all the people plus all the stuff, on at least three major car vacations over 1000 miles long each time. Have driven all over the East Coast with no issues. With age and wear it's starting to break down. With gas prices this high, will sadly be retiring the van to buy something small and efficient; not trading it in though, will keep it for those long road trips and just baby it more. Decent investment of our car buying money.

White Van
By Jamie on 01/31/08 15:00 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We have had regular oil changes, not major repairs, interior is still in excellent condition, minimum blemishes on exterior, 4 bucket seats and one bench seat, need to get smaller, fuel efficient vehicle.

2000 Dodge Caravan
By Toppie on 01/31/08 08:27 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Best vehicle I've ever owned! I have never had a mechanical issue with the van. Have only had to change the belts once. Didn't even have/need a tune-up for 7 years! I kept the oil changed and had it serviced regularly. Upholstery held up very well! Sadly, the AC just went out -- I'm looking for one just like it now with lower miles. It has 185,000 on it.

Good versatile vehicle
By Bill on 09/06/07 12:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van with 26,000 miles on it in 2003. I have 49,000 on it now. Aside from a minor solenoid leak in the transmission (easy 90 buck fix at dealer) and normal wear and tear items ( specifically the front brakes and serpentine belt)I have had no problems.It starts easily and goes as needed. It has great mileage and good power. The airbag clockspring was recalled- free fix. This van is my workhorse which with normal maintenance hopefully I will get over 100 k out of. I put 137000 on my prior 1992 plymouth voyager and everything worked the whole time. I donated it to the purple heart in good shape. I expect the Dodge to work just as well. Overall this is a great van which paid for itself

Good Van For The Money
By Billy D on 09/27/06 11:33 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought a 1992 Plymouth Voyager and put 137,000 miles on it and only had one problem, the head gasket needed replacement at 32,000. So in 2003 I decided to retire that great baby to the purple heart and buy a used Dodge. Price was very good. After getting the shift solenoid seal fixed under warranty and pan gasket (within 1 month of buying so repair was free) have had no problems. Ride is smooth and corners well with HD suspension. Has great power. Mileage is better than advertised, with cruise and sensible driving can get 28 mpg on hwy. Great room and flexible too. Is very easy on tires and brakes. I have the 3.3 L which is a plus. Paint and exterior are very durable. Paid $11K in 2003 w/26000 on.