Used 2000 Dodge Caravan Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

I love my Caravan !!
By CathyF

2000 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

Bought this vehicle new 8 years ago, kept up on oil changes, never had any major problems with it. Babies are all grown up now and I am "downsizing" to a smaller vehicle. This is a excellent family vehicle, especially for long trips. I would highly recommend this vehicle for large families. Gas mileage was okay, keeping up on tire rotation, tune-ups and oil changes helps.

Comfortably seats 7, both bench seats can be removed for tons of room, especially when moving from one home to another; drives and handles exceptionally well on the highway.

Better interior carpeting, it doesn't seem to hold up well in the 2000 model, spills and stains are hard to remove. I would definitely pay extra money for upgraded carpet and extra floor mats.

I love it BUT!
By Syl G

2000 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought the Dodge Caravan new and it worked well for a while. It has needed brakes replaced twice. The car engine light came on suddenly without warning late at night, and needed the ignition changed. The worst problem has been the past year with losing power. Scary on the highway. Then it will work well again until a most unpredictable moment. The car has been to the dealer and to non-dealers. Computers can't tell the problem. The oxygen sensors and accelerator pedal were changed ($2100. The problem continues sporadically. Recently, loosing power more often. I'M really discouraged. Scary being female and working predawn and night shifts.

Roomy. Fits seven people, and a lot of stuff. I carry floral, Interior design, school gym and work supplies.

Air conditioner on driver side difficult to control. Find out why the engine light stays on. The computer doesn't know.

My third Dodge minivan
By wkguy

2000 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

This is my third Dodge minivan. The two earlier versions were 4 pingers. Present is 6. Better mileage with the 4 and easier to change the plugs. Comfortable ride. The rear seats can be removed but a real back breaker for most people and most women shouldn't even consider it. My dealer recently changed the serpentine and air cond belt. 5 weeks later the serpentine belt comes off and they charge me another $200.00 to put it back on saying it also needed a new idler belt. A real scam but I don't blame the van...it didn't cheat me, the dealer did. Replaced brake pad around 45,000 miles; transmis solenoid gasket around 64,000...check engine light stays on but everything else works find.

Attractive styling. I can't stand the chopped off styling on so many of the new vehicles. Lots of good space for carrying lumber and goodies from the hardware store. Great work vehicle. Nice interior. Comfortable ride.

Get the Japanese to provide the transmission and v6 engine to improve drive train quality. Extend the length of the warranty coverage to keep satisfied customers. Lock on fuel tank door. Offer an optional energy efficient diesel engine with a beefed up trany to take the greater torque output.

Good, reliable, and versatile minivan.
By CarolinaBoy

2000 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

This is my first minivan and it has exceeded my expectations. It has required less repairs and attention than almost any car I have owned. Unfortunately, my A/C went out at the end of the summer and will cost $1500 to repair. That has been the only problem I have had so far. Overall, I am very satisfied with my Caravan and would definitely consider purchasing another one in the future.

Reliability and versatility. I have a 7-seater, and with the ability to remove the second and/or third row seats, it affords me the hauling capacity of a small truck.

It's an OK choice. Pretty reliable.
By Roman

2000 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

When I bought this car it has 72K and I put another 7000 miles on it. All I can say is it's not real pretty on the inside or outside, but with captain chairs it's a very good family car. It's quite reliable too (try a Windstar, you'll know the difference). It's 3.8L engine took a little less gas then Windstar, and it's quite powerful too. I didn't know that when the car stays a couple weeks outside and brakes get rusty - you have to take the wheel off and smake the drums with the hammer, so I ended up replacing tire, brakes and wheel. ($350lost,put used alloy wheel and used tire). I'd recommend this car to someone who likes comfort, but doesn't have enough money to buy and Odessey or Sienna.

Soft ride, good a/c, strong engine. Quality is pretty good.

Do something with the brakes. Let people know to carry hammer and tools to take the wheels off when brakes get rusty.