Used 1999 Dodge Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Caravan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By John B

1999 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van when it was a year old and had 47,000 miles on it. It's been an excellent van. Our Grand Caravan SE has the quad seat option, so it's very comfortable for long-distance driving. The AC is very effective, even in high-90s heat, which we have a lot of in Tennessee. The rear air, if anything, is too effective, as we often hear complaints that it's too cold in the back. Hauling capability is a big plus too, with the removable rear seats. A 4x8 sheet of plywood will lie down in the back, not to mention smaller items. I've tried to keep up with regular maintenance in accordance with the owner's manual. I think it's paid off.

Favorite Features

Quad seats; rear AC; removable rear seats; hauling capacity; good instrument layout; good visibility; nice-looking design.

Suggested Improvements

Come up with an engine compartment layout that will make spark plugs easier to change. Improve gas mileage on the 3.3L V6.

Reasons to buy the extended warranty
By Grand Sport

1999 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

From the very start, this van had nothing but breakdowns. Speed sensors (3 times), fan belts (3 times), idler pulleys, batteries (I'm on the fourth one), brake problems and on and on. And that was before I hit 30,000 miles. It didn't hit home that I had purchased an unreliable car until the basic factory warranty ran out. Things that have never gone bad on my other cars went bad on this Caravan. Over the past 12 months, I've spent over $2000 to repair the A/C alone. My experience with this Caravan will be the last. This is my fifth Chrysler product but no more. I am afraid to take this van on extended trips for fear of an out-of- state breakdown. What happened to American quality?

Favorite Features

The high ride of a truck and yet the comfort of a sedan. Excellent all around visibility. Great stereo sound system. Good handling, fuel economy and passenger comfort with the rear seat A/C. The factory towing package is great with load leveler suspension, fog lights and ease when backing a boat.

Suggested Improvements

I purchased the red paint (at $300 extra) but it did not hold up being parked in the Florida sun. The plastic head light covers became fogged from the sun as well and both of these items need improvment. The rear seat removal takes two men and a boy but I understand that the new seats fold down.

NOT USER FRIENDLY
By Jim and Bonnie Baird

1999 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

Have had constant trouble with both sets of brakes. Suspension leaves alot to be desired. Tranny lasted over 100,000 miles. Had it rebuilt. Cruise control problem early on. Tried to change sparkplugs at 100,000 miles. Couldn't get to the one in the rear on pass. side. Don't have a creeper or a lift and am not a contor- tionist. Had to pay an independent $23 to do it! Old models had fuel filter under the pass. door panel. On my '99 you must drop the fuel tank to reach it. Another $50 for labor! Looked at the new base models. Cheaper interiors, lack of features. Have had a Chrysler mini-van since their first model year. Bye-bye Dodge Caravan, Hello Toyota Sienna!

Favorite Features

Removable seats to make room for my 2 Labs' crates.

Suggested Improvements

Need heavier suspension to bear more weight. Overhaul the brake systems. Make it easier for the do-it-yourselfer. This is all by design. Why let a person do it himself when the dealer can charge you $60 an hour for labor?

Too many problems too soon.
By Too Frustrated

1999 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

Speed sensor went bad at 14K and 60K miles (trans doesn't shift without it). New brake pads and rotors at 20K, more brake pads at 40K and 65K, master cylider replaced at 80K -- too many brake system problems too often. Drove the van for 50K before getting worried each time it was driven. Looking forward to trading it in tonight!

Suggested Improvements

The entire brake system needs major improvement and needs to be more robust.

I LOVE MY DODGE CARAVAN
By STACS72

1999 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

THIS IS A WONDERFUL VEHICLE!!!! iT'S JUST THE RIGHT SIZE, NOT TOO SMALL NOT TOO BIG...THE ONLY THING i WISH i HAD WAS POWER LOCKS....ITS A AGGRIVATING TO HAVE TO MANUALLY LOCK EACH DOOR, BUT i STILL LOVE IT AND DONT REGRET BUYING IT AT ALL.

Favorite Features

GOOD GAS MILEAGE, HAS LITTLE HOOK TYPE THINGS ON THE FAR BACK SEAT TO HANG YOUR GROCERY BAGS ON SO THEY DONT SLIDE, TILT, OR ROLL ALL OVER....i THOUGHT THAT WAS A NICE TOUCH

Suggested Improvements

CANT THINK OF ANY :)