Used 1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Most Helpful|
Above expectations
By fhohio

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

The van has been surprisingly reliable. No major problems in almost 9 years. It can't be beat for utility in hauling people or their cargo. It is a comfortable vehicle to travel in, althought the performance is, well, van-like.

Favorite Features

Flexible interior room, reasonable value, and so far, very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

A small thing, but it would have been nice to have map pockets in the front door panels, like many vehicles have. I've got some rust developing on the edge of the back hatch door, which I've seen on other vans of a similar age.

We LOVE our caravan!!!
By Bud

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned in my 46 years of car ownership. The only maintenance other than routine was the left rear wheel bearing went out at 35k miles. The van was a program car never titled with 29k on it when I purchased it in Dec. 1999. It has the autostick automatic transmission which is very nice on mountain roads as you can downshift just like a manual transmission to save the brakes. I have changed the transmission fluid every 30k miles as recommended and the engine oil every 3500-5000 miles and still doesn't use a drop between changes. It is very comfortable and roomy on long trips. I still get 25 mpg on trips with 141k miles on it. It's been a pleasure!

Favorite Features

I really like everything about it but it's realiability has been the best asset. I have never even had to replace a single bulb anywhere on the car. I only hope to be lucky enough to get another this good if it ever wears out. I plan to drive it until it quits (if ever). Still looks good for a 1999.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe better quality carpet as it has faded some from age. Also, headslight lens have turned a little milky colored. Overall, VERY satisfied with it for 10 years now.

Would love to have another just like it!
By Michelle

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my car the day before my daughter was born. It had 112,000 miles on it. Today is has 252,000+. The only problem that I have had is the lifter went bad but that was my fault due letting my oil level get too low. (not changing the oil like I was supposed to). Over all I have spent less that $1000 on repairs other then general repairs. I wish I could find another one just like it. It is still running but I am ready for a newer model. Great van!

Favorite Features

Low maintenance, very roomy. I think I have become a van-aholic.

Suggested Improvements

Make more that require low maintenance. I have read others reviews and noticed some consistent problems. Luckily I did not experience them.

160k and still great
By eric

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought this van from a friend that had it since new,he never had problems out of it,i bought it wit 147k miles on it for 1,500 and this van is in top shape

1999 Still running
By northern375

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought a used 1999 Dodge Caravan. It has 167,000 miles on it, a V-6 3.0 I payed $ 2405.00 out the door. I have spent around $600, but that was for 2 tires, a tune up the normal stuff. Past that I like it. Seats 7.

Favorite Features

Sits high like a truck, very comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful A/C.