Used 1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

It's been good for a family of 5
By joe

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I have owned this Grand Caravan for 7 years and bought it used in 2000 off of Hertz. Have had 1 major A/C repair in 7 years. Speed sensor has gone twice. Other than that just normal wear and tear maintenance. Pretty reliable, roomy and a nice ride. 25mpg highway from FL to NY. 18 around town.

3.3L V-6 has plenty of power. Very roomy.

The handles for the reclining front seat both broke. Middle captain seat cup holder is convenient but breaks easily. My kids are rough on the interior

Above expectations
By fhohio

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

The van has been surprisingly reliable. No major problems in almost 9 years. It can't be beat for utility in hauling people or their cargo. It is a comfortable vehicle to travel in, althought the performance is, well, van-like.

Flexible interior room, reasonable value, and so far, very reliable.

A small thing, but it would have been nice to have map pockets in the front door panels, like many vehicles have. I've got some rust developing on the edge of the back hatch door, which I've seen on other vans of a similar age.

Thought I had a good thing going
By Toobadsosad

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

This van was inexpensive and though lacking performance has been a dependable transporter of our family of five. I have had very few problems, however it did blow a head gasket at about 65,000 miles and I have adding one to two pints of oil for the past year. I was told this is an $1800 repair. The car is now only slightly more.

Value, comfortable freeway ride, roomy, multi-purpose.

Gaskets should not break down so early and be so expensive to repair. Engine gutless on hills.

Almost a lemon
By Rich

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This van started with major breakdowns at 15,000 miles and continued with the breakdowns after Chrysler's basic warranty period expired. Some of the major repairs needed were three serpentine belts, two idler pulleys, three trans axle speed sensors, A/C compressor and dryer, A/C evaporator core, three new batteries and a passenger power window motor. The $200 optional clear coat paint job began fading and peeling within 3 years and now looks like crap. The headlight lenses have turned milky white. Felt headliner falling down in a dozen areas. I hate to say it, but the extended warranty would have been a real moneysaver with this car.

Rides nice, smooth engine performance. Easy access to instruments, nice radio (optional pkg.). Good road handling and view. Transmission and cruise control very smooth.

Better paint/trim quality. Needs longer warranty coverage.

"Claravan"
By lojajujo

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my Caravan new in Nov 1998. It has been very reliable. It is roomy enough to haul around my own kids and their friends. She even developed her own persona, "Claravan", over the years. My only beef with Dodge is in the quality of materials used. In the first year, my hood was permanently indented from my oldest son leaning up against it. Also, the air conditioner had to be replaced within two years. For the most part, though, this has been an economical and dependable mode of transportation. I average 20-22 mpg even now in my eighth year of ownership

Cruise control for long trips. Hooks on rear seat for hanging grocery bags. Four doors plus hatch. Superb visibility. Roomy.

Design an air conditioner to last more that two years. I replaced mine within that period. Luckily it was covered under the warranty.