1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Best vehicle I've ever owned
By John B on 07/27/06 07:46 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van when it was a year old and had 47,000 miles on it. It's been an excellent van. Our Grand Caravan SE has the quad seat option, so it's very comfortable for long-distance driving. The AC is very effective, even in high-90s heat, which we have a lot of in Tennessee. The rear air, if anything, is too effective, as we often hear complaints that it's too cold in the back. Hauling capability is a big plus too, with the removable rear seats. A 4x8 sheet of plywood will lie down in the back, not to mention smaller items. I've tried to keep up with regular maintenance in accordance with the owner's manual. I think it's paid off.

Reasons to buy the extended warranty
By Grand Sport on 04/13/06 06:31 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

From the very start, this van had nothing but breakdowns. Speed sensors (3 times), fan belts (3 times), idler pulleys, batteries (I'm on the fourth one), brake problems and on and on. And that was before I hit 30,000 miles. It didn't hit home that I had purchased an unreliable car until the basic factory warranty ran out. Things that have never gone bad on my other cars went bad on this Caravan. Over the past 12 months, I've spent over $2000 to repair the A/C alone. My experience with this Caravan will be the last. This is my fifth Chrysler product but no more. I am afraid to take this van on extended trips for fear of an out-of- state breakdown. What happened to American quality?

NOT USER FRIENDLY
By Jim and Bonnie Baird on 05/30/05 15:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Have had constant trouble with both sets of brakes. Suspension leaves alot to be desired. Tranny lasted over 100,000 miles. Had it rebuilt. Cruise control problem early on. Tried to change sparkplugs at 100,000 miles. Couldn't get to the one in the rear on pass. side. Don't have a creeper or a lift and am not a contor- tionist. Had to pay an independent $23 to do it! Old models had fuel filter under the pass. door panel. On my '99 you must drop the fuel tank to reach it. Another $50 for labor! Looked at the new base models. Cheaper interiors, lack of features. Have had a Chrysler mini-van since their first model year. Bye-bye Dodge Caravan, Hello Toyota Sienna!

Too many problems too soon.
By Too Frustrated on 09/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Speed sensor went bad at 14K and 60K miles (trans doesn't shift without it). New brake pads and rotors at 20K, more brake pads at 40K and 65K, master cylider replaced at 80K -- too many brake system problems too often. Drove the van for 50K before getting worried each time it was driven. Looking forward to trading it in tonight!

I LOVE MY DODGE CARAVAN
By STACS72 on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

THIS IS A WONDERFUL VEHICLE!!!! iT'S JUST THE RIGHT SIZE, NOT TOO SMALL NOT TOO BIG...THE ONLY THING i WISH i HAD WAS POWER LOCKS....ITS A AGGRIVATING TO HAVE TO MANUALLY LOCK EACH DOOR, BUT i STILL LOVE IT AND DONT REGRET BUYING IT AT ALL.

Good To Go!
By SeattleBob on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

My wife and I have had some 7 Caravan company cars between us in the last nine years with no major problems. We purchased this Sport new. It pretty much was the weekend grocery-getter for the first few years, but now is my daily driver for work. I performed all the service as it became due, fluids, etc., new shocks, struts, rear brakes. Original tires share with mounted winter tires. Then disaster - the transmission went out. Had a rebuilt MoPar unit installed, but at about $3,800. They seem to go out a lot about 60,000 miles according to my shop. A little noisy inside with Seattle roads at freeway speeds.

Good wagon
By Black Pete on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

This is a 1999 2.4 litre 4 cyl minivan. Had 67000 on clock when we bought it. In 2 years it has never let us down. Apart from regular routine maintenance we have replaced the brakes (inc new front rotors) and the shocks and struts. Good to drive on the highway with excellent gas mileage. You feel the lack of power only with 4 or more people in the car. Now has 87000 on clock and still going strong. A very good general ppurpose runabout.

Still going
By PizzaMan on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought used one year ago with 94,000 mile. Now has 119,000 and still runs great. Gets 22MPG, not great but acceptable. Spent $600 on maintenence (brakes and transmission) but that is to be expected for vehicle with that many miles.

Super Van
By Manga & Beba on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Do the maintenance and enjoy the ride!

GREAT TO DRIVE
By DRIVE ME ALL OVER on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

GREAT I PURCHASED THIS SPORT MINI NEW . MY FAMILY & I HAVE LOVE TO DRIVE THIS VAN FROM DAY ONE . WE HAVE BEEN TO ORLANDO FLORIDA IN IT 3 TIMES AND PLANNING TO GO AGAIN . FOR THE 4TH TIME NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT . WE ARE A FAMILY OF 6 WE ALSO HAVE A M BENZ BUT LOVE TO DRIVE OUR WHITE SPORT MINI VAN FULLY LOADED WE WILL BUY AND OTHER DODGE MINI SOMEDAY . THINKING OF SELL THE M- BENZ TO BUY AN OTHER DODGE MINI. BUT I WILL NEVER BUY FROM OASIS DODGE. OLDBRIGE NEW JERSEY THERE SALES DEPT IS VERY BAD . SALES PEOLPE ARE VERY RUDE.