Used 1999 Dodge Caravan SE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Would love to have another just like it!
By Michelle

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my car the day before my daughter was born. It had 112,000 miles on it. Today is has 252,000+. The only problem that I have had is the lifter went bad but that was my fault due letting my oil level get too low. (not changing the oil like I was supposed to). Over all I have spent less that $1000 on repairs other then general repairs. I wish I could find another one just like it. It is still running but I am ready for a newer model. Great van!

Favorite Features

Low maintenance, very roomy. I think I have become a van-aholic.

Suggested Improvements

Make more that require low maintenance. I have read others reviews and noticed some consistent problems. Luckily I did not experience them.

We LOVE our caravan!!!
By Bud

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned in my 46 years of car ownership. The only maintenance other than routine was the left rear wheel bearing went out at 35k miles. The van was a program car never titled with 29k on it when I purchased it in Dec. 1999. It has the autostick automatic transmission which is very nice on mountain roads as you can downshift just like a manual transmission to save the brakes. I have changed the transmission fluid every 30k miles as recommended and the engine oil every 3500-5000 miles and still doesn't use a drop between changes. It is very comfortable and roomy on long trips. I still get 25 mpg on trips with 141k miles on it. It's been a pleasure!

Favorite Features

I really like everything about it but it's realiability has been the best asset. I have never even had to replace a single bulb anywhere on the car. I only hope to be lucky enough to get another this good if it ever wears out. I plan to drive it until it quits (if ever). Still looks good for a 1999.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe better quality carpet as it has faded some from age. Also, headslight lens have turned a little milky colored. Overall, VERY satisfied with it for 10 years now.

Reliable so far
By mike

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought it at 56000 miles a little over 2.5 yrs ago and now it has 142000 miles and still going strong, except for the ac fan motor that went out about 3000 miles back which is a cheap fix and have only had to change the front brakes twice considering all the driving I do thats pretty good

Favorite Features

Value, comfortable, roomy, good handling

Suggested Improvements

None

It's been good for a family of 5
By joe

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I have owned this Grand Caravan for 7 years and bought it used in 2000 off of Hertz. Have had 1 major A/C repair in 7 years. Speed sensor has gone twice. Other than that just normal wear and tear maintenance. Pretty reliable, roomy and a nice ride. 25mpg highway from FL to NY. 18 around town.

Favorite Features

3.3L V-6 has plenty of power. Very roomy.

Suggested Improvements

The handles for the reclining front seat both broke. Middle captain seat cup holder is convenient but breaks easily. My kids are rough on the interior

Above expectations
By fhohio

1999 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

The van has been surprisingly reliable. No major problems in almost 9 years. It can't be beat for utility in hauling people or their cargo. It is a comfortable vehicle to travel in, althought the performance is, well, van-like.

Favorite Features

Flexible interior room, reasonable value, and so far, very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

A small thing, but it would have been nice to have map pockets in the front door panels, like many vehicles have. I've got some rust developing on the edge of the back hatch door, which I've seen on other vans of a similar age.