1999 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Would love to have another just like it!
By Michelle on 04/09/10 06:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my car the day before my daughter was born. It had 112,000 miles on it. Today is has 252,000+. The only problem that I have had is the lifter went bad but that was my fault due letting my oil level get too low. (not changing the oil like I was supposed to). Over all I have spent less that $1000 on repairs other then general repairs. I wish I could find another one just like it. It is still running but I am ready for a newer model. Great van!

160k and still great
By eric on 12/15/09 19:18 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought this van from a friend that had it since new,he never had problems out of it,i bought it wit 147k miles on it for 1,500 and this van is in top shape

We LOVE our caravan!!!
By Bud on 11/22/09 17:43 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

This has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned in my 46 years of car ownership. The only maintenance other than routine was the left rear wheel bearing went out at 35k miles. The van was a program car never titled with 29k on it when I purchased it in Dec. 1999. It has the autostick automatic transmission which is very nice on mountain roads as you can downshift just like a manual transmission to save the brakes. I have changed the transmission fluid every 30k miles as recommended and the engine oil every 3500-5000 miles and still doesn't use a drop between changes. It is very comfortable and roomy on long trips. I still get 25 mpg on trips with 141k miles on it. It's been a pleasure!

1999 Still running
By northern375 on 08/22/08 15:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought a used 1999 Dodge Caravan. It has 167,000 miles on it, a V-6 3.0 I payed $ 2405.00 out the door. I have spent around $600, but that was for 2 tires, a tune up the normal stuff. Past that I like it. Seats 7.

Reliable so far
By mike on 09/11/07 15:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought it at 56000 miles a little over 2.5 yrs ago and now it has 142000 miles and still going strong, except for the ac fan motor that went out about 3000 miles back which is a cheap fix and have only had to change the front brakes twice considering all the driving I do thats pretty good

It's been good for a family of 5
By joe on 06/22/07 08:19 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I have owned this Grand Caravan for 7 years and bought it used in 2000 off of Hertz. Have had 1 major A/C repair in 7 years. Speed sensor has gone twice. Other than that just normal wear and tear maintenance. Pretty reliable, roomy and a nice ride. 25mpg highway from FL to NY. 18 around town.

Above expectations
By fhohio on 06/04/07 19:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

The van has been surprisingly reliable. No major problems in almost 9 years. It can't be beat for utility in hauling people or their cargo. It is a comfortable vehicle to travel in, althought the performance is, well, van-like.

Thought I had a good thing going
By Toobadsosad on 01/07/07 00:02 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

This van was inexpensive and though lacking performance has been a dependable transporter of our family of five. I have had very few problems, however it did blow a head gasket at about 65,000 miles and I have adding one to two pints of oil for the past year. I was told this is an $1800 repair. The car is now only slightly more.

Almost a lemon
By Rich on 11/17/06 20:25 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

This van started with major breakdowns at 15,000 miles and continued with the breakdowns after Chrysler's basic warranty period expired. Some of the major repairs needed were three serpentine belts, two idler pulleys, three trans axle speed sensors, A/C compressor and dryer, A/C evaporator core, three new batteries and a passenger power window motor. The $200 optional clear coat paint job began fading and peeling within 3 years and now looks like crap. The headlight lenses have turned milky white. Felt headliner falling down in a dozen areas. I hate to say it, but the extended warranty would have been a real moneysaver with this car.

"Claravan"
By lojajujo on 09/30/06 20:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my Caravan new in Nov 1998. It has been very reliable. It is roomy enough to haul around my own kids and their friends. She even developed her own persona, "Claravan", over the years. My only beef with Dodge is in the quality of materials used. In the first year, my hood was permanently indented from my oldest son leaning up against it. Also, the air conditioner had to be replaced within two years. For the most part, though, this has been an economical and dependable mode of transportation. I average 20-22 mpg even now in my eighth year of ownership