Great until 100,000 miles
By Deb on
1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan
Bought my van from a Dodge dealer used in 2001 with about 40,000 miles on the engine. Overall was a great vehicle, minimum break downs, did have problem keeping brakes, both time replaced still under warranty. Lucky me. Air conditioning also had to be repaired. At 106,000 miles on Christmas eve 2008 we lost our transmission on interstate 95, fully loaded with Christmas tree and gifts, on our way to my sisters in Boston. 70 miles from home, with my 12 year old daughter, and 10 below zero. Was not fun experience. $2600 to replace the transmission with a factory rebuilt engine. We decided to get out while the getting was good before this became a money pit. And purchased a new car.
Favorite Features
Huge cargo area, love that, I am self employed, and this was the best feature. I do shows and I could load tons of merchandise as well as my displays into this van. Comfortable ride. I miss my van!
Suggested Improvements
Please Dodge if you want to stay in business improve your transmissions. There have been so many issues with them with the Caravan. I knew about this and even with good maintenance we still lost ours. Shame, I loved this van, it was very useful. But until Dodge improves this I will not buy another.