1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Why Can't They Build It RIGHT?????
By LionelMan on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Well, I've owned three of these: '86, '92, and '98 and now I'm done with Chrysler. The AC systems are junk, the electronics are flaky, and they make more wind noise than a pickup truck! The 3.0L is underpowered and isn't safe to drive in heavy traffic. I'm buying a Honda Odessey next.

What a piece of junk!!!
By pwkam on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Engine block leaking oil right after the warrenty expire. I change oil every 4000 miles and have a good maintenance record. I sold it to the carmax because I am worry about tranmission problem will show up.

tHE BEST MINI VAN IN TOWN
By ARUN VERMA on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

no PROBLEMS IN 4 YEARS WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT

Repairs and more repairs
By jscnurse on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Purchased used with 38000. Has a 3.0 V6 engine. Purchased an extended warranty with the bank loan, our saving grace. Have repaired/replaced: valve cover gaskets, loose hose over sol pack, rack and pinion steering and sway bar. Now it is leaking oil again and looks like a head gasket at 67000 miles, don't think that we will wait for the tranny to go...

Great Family Car
By luvmycar on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

My husband and I have had little troubles with this car. It has been a great family car. In fact we just bought another Dodge Caravan.

Whatdahelldidiget??
By MsNaive on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Just purchased on 4/24/02 (used) and had 25000 miles on it. Within a month and a half, transmission started acting up. Had trans replaced. Lots of "wind noise", so I don't know if something else is wrong or that is the way it supposed to "sound". I am very glad I got the extended warranty! So I didnt have to pay the astronomical cost of $2600! Honestly, this vehicle could be much better. I believe I'm going to get my Ford Winstar!!!

Could be better but...
By Texas Mama on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Thought I would offer my experience...For the first 2 years we had no trouble, just regular maintenance. When we hit 45K the trouble started. We had a leak in the radiator core which cause the floor to rot, found out from the dealer it was a common problem - would have been nice to know. We also had problems with gaskets, which caused a major oil leak. Transmission went at 70K, Air conditioning at 79K. Brakes have always been loose. Had a problem with tires as well – once they were replaced, they have been OK

Burned Again
By Mr. Mini Van on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

I was one of the people who got burned by the bad transmissions on the mini vans a few years back. Hearing that the problem was fixed I went back to Dodge and after 4 years (just after warranty lapsed) I now need a valve job. Fool me once "Shame on you". Fool me twice "Shame on me". Fool me three times .... NOT A CHANCE!

Love my Caravan
By bikerdad on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I love my Caravan. It's one of the most versatile cars I've owned. Great for hauling stuff home from Home Depot, taking the dogs to the park, etc. Have had no major problems in 4 years. Pretty much just routine maintenance. I would buy another one.

Should have looked here first!!
By Never Again on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Previously owned a 1989 Grand Caravan. Put three transmissions in it. Thought that by now Chrysler would have figured out how to build a reliable transmission. WRONG! The transmission in my 1998 Caravan went out at 55000. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice...well, you know how it goes.