Used 1998 Dodge Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
So far, so good..
By Evergreen on 10/07/08 20:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought this car with some misgivings because of their overall poor reputation for reliability but ours has been pretty sound. We are at 129K miles and only two real problems so far. Changed the engine main bearing seal for about $400. The dash indications go blank about once a week for a few minutes. You kinda know when it's coming because the ABS light comes on first. Consensus is it's the "Body Control Module" but since it's $900 to replace and hasn't broke permanent we haven't fixed it. Transmission is still okay. Can't beat the comfort/versatility for a family of five. Took a two week vacation last winter to the grand canyon and it plowed through ice, rain and snow like a champ.

InNeed of a Car
By Slim Shady on 07/31/08 21:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Like any other vehicle, if serviced timely it'll serve it's purpose...I guess. Bought the car used in 2006 because my family was in need of a car at the time. I can say, "that the experience has been fairly decent...until the final note was paid." Hardly nothing went wrong; and then the bottom fell out! I may have replaced the alt., both water and fuel pumps, brake booster, therm, rad./relay fan, and several other parts all within 6-8 mos. But hey, what can I say. It was my only means of transportation and for that I'm blessed! I've said it before, and I'll say again: never buy a "Dodge" again!

Dodge Caravan 10 Year Owner Ratings
By Familyman on 04/05/08 04:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Overall, I am disappointed with the vehicle. I spend a lot of money the first 4-5 years repairing problems - what a piece of junk. While the car settled down in terms of repair after that, the repairs are again spiking as the mileage builds beyond the 200K mark; brakes, trans (again and again...), radiator, heater core, brakes again, cat. converter). While there are some good design features, mechanically the car is a design failure (my personal opinion).

Bad Transmission & 3.0L Timing Belt
By Sound Advice on 06/06/07 13:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Trade-in or sell your Caravan before 100K miles. Reason - the transmission will go out and cost you $2K to replace. If you are unfortunate to have the 3.0L engine ... change your timing belt every 60K miles otherwise this "interference engine" is going to self-destruct one day on you after the timing belt breaks! (Seems the pistons keep moving and slam into the valves,walls,whatever they can hit ... when the timing belt breaks) I really like the Caravan, but if there is a next one; it is going to be traded-in or sold before 90K miles. 3.0L engine owners ... it is a ticking time bomb under your hood. Don't believe me ... ask a decent mechanic about the 3.0L interference engine!

Some problems
By ctj101502 on 11/17/06 15:08 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Steering column has gone out. Air conditioner is bad after 90,000 miles. Had it fixed and it happened again at around 170,000 miles. Need new transmission at 194,000 miles. Seat belts in front do not work. If you suddenly stop or yank on them quickly they let you just go. I pray we never get into an accident. Very little went wrong in the beginning, just minor issues. But at this high mileage I am thankful it still runs!

Lots of trouble
By K. Sedler on 02/17/06 20:33 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

We have had a considerable amount of trouble with the serpentine belt and idlyer pulley system. Dodge has released a technical service bulletin about this issue but nothing further. We have replaced the belts and system at least 3 times. We have also had other mechanical problems including having to rebuild the transmission after only 89,000 miles.

Nice car, but needs a little work.
By Tony on 11/02/05 21:30 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

Me and my family bought a brand new 1998 Caravan with 5 miles on it, and we liked it, for a little while. Head gasket failed at 16,000 miles, had many porblems with A/C, and after replacing every component, me and the dealer got to the point that it just needed an adjusted belt after every winter. after a few more parts replaced, the trans tore apart at 73,000 miles, just slipped into the warrenty. then recently, the car needed 2 rigorus mainance jobs, because the engine would hesesitate, nearly stall, backfire, shake, jiggle, and then the power steering was leaking, and oil is slightly leaking. I regret ever buying this car, and I wished that I just got a Ford Taurus.

Glad I bought it
By InnAtVt33 on 08/18/05 19:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my 1998 Caravan SE a little over a year ago and have had no problems at all. The first thing I did when I got it was to have the tranny flushed. With Dodge, my mechanic recommends every 20,000 miles. Lots of cargo space with the seats removed. I do wish the gas mileage was better. This is my 3rd van but the first with 4 doors and I love it. It may be almost 8 years old, but it still feels new when you get in. The interior has held up very well. I have thought about going back to a car but don't think I can. SUV's feel too truck like for me. My van gives a very comfortable ride. With less than 50,000 miles on it I think it's a keeper.

Great Van
By Cheesecubs on 06/16/05 20:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

Bought this van new in 1998 and have had no problems other than normal wear up to now. Had to put in a $50 front-end part and that is it. Greating driving van, easy in and out. Lots of flexible room.

Problems!
By Piewicket on 04/09/05 15:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Purchased from dealer used and they replaced the computer before we bought it. Should have stopped there. A complete lemon. 50k tortioner for serpentine broke (not covered under extened warranty). after throwing and wearing out many serpentine belts, 70k transmission froze up 6 mo before warranty expired. Cost us $100 for deductible on bumper2bumper warranty, and now just replaced rear seal at over $500. My 1967 Beetle has less problems than this one.